TruCut C27 reel and grass shield

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
Scbasteve
Grass Type: Zoysia
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

TruCut C27 reel and grass shield

Post by Scbasteve » April 17th, 2019, 6:07 pm

Hey all,
Long time reader first time poster.... had a c27 for about 3 years now, bought it used and it was not well taken care of but was in decent shape. First year just ran it as is (mistake). After which i found a guy at a local golf course who ground the reel and bedknife for me which worked great but he unfortunately passed away and none of the other courses seem to want to allow any side jobs which brings me to my plan to backlap it.
So I started by removing the bedknife and grass shield. I cleaned each and then painted the grass shield. Then I took down the high spots from the nicks on the bedknife and reinstalled. Which brings me to question 1: does the grass shield fit into the bedknife holder or does it tuck behind it?

So as I am getting set up to backlap I had it set on the bedknife bar and found that the grass catcher was contacting the reel (with the adjustment screws backed out all the way) so I tucked it behind. As I started back lapping I found that it still contacted the reel. Which brings me to question 2: I was adjusting the reel rearward (moving the cams toward the engine) to bring the reel in contact with the bedknife. Is this wrong? I’m thinking that if I adjust it forward instead this won’t be a problem, but it will be striking the bedknife at an odd angle causing it to dull quickly.

Hope this makes sense and any suggestions would be appreciated!

Steve