Fiskars reel mower

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
Hammbone81
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

Fiskars reel mower

Post by Hammbone81 » May 11th, 2019, 9:33 pm

I bought a Fiskars reel mower last spring on craigslist out of curiosity. MAN I love how this thing cuts! (KBG) Sure, it gets the heart rate up there, but hey, I need the exercise. I'll be singing a different tune come 85-90degF temps - that's when the Honda comes out.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Fiskars reel mower

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » May 11th, 2019, 11:31 pm

I had one and it was great for those first cuts on renovations. Too small for the yard I had for regular mowing. But I loved that thing.

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Post by bpgreen » May 12th, 2019, 12:38 am

I dropped my deck for the last cut of the season last year and killed my gas mower. So far, I've been able to keep up with my fiskars. As long as you mow regularly, it's great (but as you noted, a lot more exercise than a power mower).

In my case, when it gets hot, it'll be easier to mow because I rarely water and the head doesn't grow much once the rain stops.

northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by northeastlawn » May 12th, 2019, 8:09 am

I bought one, love it for reno's.

There was an online comparison between the Fiskars and the Scotts 20" Classic. It praised the Fiskars for the design and the ability to mow 4" heigh, but said the Scotts Classic did a more even cut.

It does well when the lawn is very thick, only so so when the lawn is thinner. The Fiskars really needs a thick lawn to hold the grass up while you are cutting it, I find it does leave a lot of random uncut grass just as the online review noted.

If I ever can get rid of the POA Annua in the lawn and get the KBG to really thicken up in the POA spots, I may try using it all the time.