Lightweight mower for steep hills

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
flyingfish88
Grass Type: TTTF/PRG/FF
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Some Experience

Lightweight mower for steep hills

Post by flyingfish88 » May 20th, 2019, 10:50 am

Hi Everyone,

Looking for recommendations on a light-weight self-propelled mower that I can use for my back yard that has some pretty steep hills.

I current have a Toro Timemaster 30" that I have been using for the entire yard. The mower is great, but is still on the heavy side for my steeper hills, tends to turf up the grass, and the back has a lot of large tree roots, rocks, stumps to maneuver around the timemaster takes a beating on it.

Due to this, looking for something more lightweight and self-propelled. Ideal budget would be $300 or less. Not overly concerned with quality of cut ( I don't take care of the back yard like i do the front), just need something lightweight and easy to maneuver.

Appreciate any ideas!

thanks,
Dan

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: Lightweight mower for steep hills

Post by ken-n-nancy » May 20th, 2019, 1:58 pm

How big is the slope? I haven't seen one in decades, but I know that hovering lawn mowers (a "Flymo" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flymo) are sometimes used on steep slopes that are free of obstacles.

Having lots of roots, rocks, stumps to maneuver around on a steep hill is a bad combination.

Before considering how to mow grass on a steep hill with lots of obstacles, I'd consider the question of whether or not the hill should be converted to something other than a grass which needs to be mowed?

flyingfish88
Grass Type: TTTF/PRG/FF
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by flyingfish88 » May 21st, 2019, 9:25 am

Hi Ken N Nancy,

never heard of a hover mower before, looks pretty cool. HD has one for about 1k, but beyond what I want to spend and like you mention, probably not practical for my purposes.

My back yard slopes in varying degrees. I do have my farthest back area which I will not convert to grass as it is defintely too steep. right now its mostly weeds, but am thinking about possibly pacysandra as it does well around here with all the shade.

The rest I think can definitely be mowed with a small mower. my 30 inch / 140lb timemaster is just a bit too large for it.

Dan

KBGkicksazz
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by KBGkicksazz » May 21st, 2019, 10:10 am

Agree. On my front yard where it has a drainage swale
I put in a shrub bed with a tree.

Steep slopes and mowing is torture.
ken-n-nancy wrote:
May 20th, 2019, 1:58 pm
How big is the slope? I haven't seen one in decades, but I know that hovering lawn mowers (a "Flymo" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flymo) are sometimes used on steep slopes that are free of obstacles.

Having lots of roots, rocks, stumps to maneuver around on a steep hill is a bad combination.

Before considering how to mow grass on a steep hill with lots of obstacles, I'd consider the question of whether or not the hill should be converted to something other than a grass which needs to be mowed?