Excellent mulching mower recommendations.

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
Aviator8
Grass Type: Tall and Fine Fescue
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Some Experience

Excellent mulching mower recommendations.

Post by Aviator8 » October 6th, 2019, 12:51 am

Hello all,
I am going to come to a point where I need to replace my 14 year old mower in the next few years and want to start thinking about a good replacement so that I can be on the lookout for a good deal if one pops up. I currently have a Cub Cadet LT1046. It has been a decent mower and I have not had any issues with it, other than it not wanting to actually stop when I turn it off. There is one thing I want to get better performance on in my next mower. I hear about people that just mow over the leaves and they "turn to dust", That would be nice. Even getting close after a few passes would be nice. This mower has mulching blades and a plug but it never fully chops all the leaves up leaving pieces that are between quarter to silver dollar size. Most of these leaves are pin oak leaves which are much tougher than maple, or sweetgum leaves. I want to keep them in the yard and much to keep adding organic matter but they stay to big and begin matting up and choking out the grass in places. I then have to get the blower out and remove that valuable organic matter.

Can anyone shoot me some recommendations on some really good riding mulching mowers?

edslawn
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Re: Excellent mulching mower recommendations.

Post by edslawn » October 11th, 2019, 1:47 pm

I just purchased the CC XT3 GSX after quite a bit of investigation. Upgrading from an older Cub and taking care of 2 hilly acres of lawn and wooded areas.

likeasponge
Grass Type: Bewitched/prosperity
Level: Experienced

Post by likeasponge » October 13th, 2019, 12:06 pm

I use a rider with mulching blades. It does well enough through out the year. When I need to do some serious mulching I'll fire up the Honda push mower.
Sorry it's not a recommendation :)

Gilley23
Grass Type: Zoysia
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by Gilley23 » December 15th, 2019, 10:27 pm

IMO with the riders it's more about the blades than the mower. Get some good gator blades and sharpen them up, it'll make a world of difference vs standard blades.

Forget any blade that is a 3-in-1 blade. They do everything ok but nothing great.

Hammbone81
Grass Type: KBG
Level: Experienced

Post by Hammbone81 » March 25th, 2020, 7:50 am

SCAG zero turn with mulching kit.
Dixie Chopper with X blades.
I've had both but didnt have the mulch kit on the SCAG. Dixie Chopper mulched better and has an OCD (operator controlled discharge chure). BUT the SCAG was a much better quality machine.