Scott’s Tractor Spreader

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
Sparkey
Grass Type: Kentucky, bluegrass , fescue
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Scott’s Tractor Spreader

Post by Sparkey » June 20th, 2020, 7:50 am

I want to bring out and use my SCOTTS Tractor Broadcast Spreader to fertilize my 30,000 sq. ft. lawn. But, on the fertilizer bag, it only states the setting for a Scott’s broadcast push spreader. In the past, they had the settings for both, but not presently.
My question is, what would would be the setting on my tractor setting if the push spreader is a 4 setting? I only recall that the tractor spreader is less.
Thank you in advance. ~John

PS: I called Scott, they could find the answer. SMH

Aether
Grass Type: Tall Fescue
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: Scott’s Tractor Spreader

Post by Aether » June 20th, 2020, 10:22 am

Never heard of a Scotts tractor spreader. The tow behind spreaders I've used have a # Lb per 1,000 sqft setting.

The Scotts push spreader setting 4 is a small opening. Suggest setting a similar size hole on your tractor spreader, else set the tow behind to a small hole big enough to allow the product flow. You may have to do at least a double pass to drop product.

Sparkey
Grass Type: Kentucky, bluegrass , fescue
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by Sparkey » June 20th, 2020, 11:22 am

The tractor pull behind spreader opening is triangular in shape.

schreibdave
Grass Type: Bewitched, Award and Rhapsody
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by schreibdave » June 20th, 2020, 7:00 pm

I think you are going to have to experiment. Calculate how much fertilizer you want to put down in a given area, set it at a low setting and ride around til empty. If it's obviously too low, raise it a bit. Then go to the next section of lawn, set to a higher number and ride til empty. Keep doing that process until u sneak up on the right setting. I did this and wrote the number with a sharpy on the spreader. Did that for different products.

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Post by bpgreen » June 26th, 2020, 12:56 am

I've never used a tractor spreader, but I've also never trusted any of the settings in the manuals.

I've always st the spear on a low setting and made multiple passes. I also vary the pattern, first going in a straight line, then diagonally, e.t.c. this way any over or under application is less noticeable.