Garden Hand Tools - Hori Hori

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
mobiledynamics
Grass Type: KBG / going to try TTF
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Garden Hand Tools - Hori Hori

Post by mobiledynamics » September 23rd, 2020, 11:53 am

I'm a tool wh0re...got like 5 Felcos, 3 ARS, 2 Tobisho Secauters, the list goes on........

Never had a Hori Hori so I ordered one on a whim. I know it's coined as it jack of all trades sorta versatile tool.
I dunno. Maybe it's just me. Don't see how I would use it. Not deep enough to use even as a small transplant shovel. The thickness of the blade is *thick*. Sure I suppose it's thick as they also but a bevel on it to be used as a knife, and serrated as well. Hell, I've even used my -margin trowel- when I've needed to make a perfect precise cut in turf....

Anyhow, for all you ATY folks who garden, do you use a Hori Hori. What am I amiss ? I'd rather have my Wilcox hand trowel, and a pair of - beater pruners- if if was working in dirt and was also needed to cut roots, etc.

cjac9chris
Grass Type: St. Augustine
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Re: Garden Hand Tools - Hori Hori

Post by cjac9chris » January 3rd, 2021, 10:42 pm

I bought one based on an arborist's recommendation for clearing away soil from the root flares of trees. It's great for that. It's also good for prying up larger rocks from the yard which I've had to do a fair bit of. Mostly, I've used it for hand pulling weeds.

This was my first year caring about my lawn and I had quite a bit of crabgrass to deal with. I have St. Augustine which is a wide-bladed grass, so you can't spray for crabgrass (I kind of prefer doing it by hand anyway though. Kind of oddly meditative.)

I probably filled 4 5-gallon buckets with crabgrass from my 700 sq. ft. backyard. Good times!

I think the best part of having one is that when people ask you "what's that?" you can answer "It's a Hori Hori." and they look at you like you're a nut job because normal people don't have a clue what they are.

Enjoy your Hori Hori!

edslawn
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by edslawn » January 4th, 2021, 9:42 am

I've never used one, but my wife got one as a xmas gift for my sister in law. It certainly is an imposing piece of kit.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » January 4th, 2021, 9:54 am

Mine tends to see more use in dark of night than in the garden, but...