Sprayers

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
falcon
Grass Type: TTTF/KBG Blend
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Some Experience

Sprayers

Post by falcon » March 3rd, 2021, 1:02 pm

As I prepare for the upcoming season, I'm thinking about sprayers. I'd love to get a real nice one like the Flowzone Typhoon 2.5, but I'd only want to spring for one of them, given the cost.

Is using a single sprayer a bad idea if you're running the triangle approach? Like, how hard is it really to decontaminate after a spray to avoid mixing chemicals?

Last year I used the cheap $15 sprayers (I now have four) and they worked ok. For glyphosate, obviously over applying isn't as big of a concern. I'd probably stick to the $15 pump sprayer for that anyway.

But for the 2,4D combo and for triclopyr, I clearly over applied because I had some turf damage (no, it wasn't too hot). It's also hard to get the droplet size and pressure to be consistent with the cheap sprayers.

I'm thinking of glyphosate in the cheap sprayer, and 2,4D and triclopyr (at separate times) in the nice sprayer.

Bad idea? Are expensive sprayers even worth it?

I'd add that I am only going nuts (properly maintaining) with ~3000 sq. ft. Right now the rest of the lawn is non-irrigated so I am only maintaining the soil in those areas.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: Sprayers

Post by MorpheusPA » March 3rd, 2021, 3:01 pm

"Is using a single sprayer a bad idea if you're running the triangle approach? Like, how hard is it really to decontaminate after a spray to avoid mixing chemicals?"

It's not that hard, but it is a bit time-consuming and wasteful if you haven't used the entire contents and don't have proper storage. You absolutely are going to need sealed plastic storage for your mixed herbicides. Run enough warm water through the tank to clean it, and through the wand.

"Bad idea? Are expensive sprayers even worth it?"

I never thought so. I have four ten dollar sprayers. One holds glyphosate. One holds Tenacity. One changes between baking soda and soap, Tabasco soap and soap, or whatever other harmless spray I'm using. The fourth is a backup in case one breaks.

I do have a backpack sprayer in the cellar for larger applications that gets cleaned after I use it, however. That's invaluable for whole-lawn sprays like iron.

falcon
Grass Type: TTTF/KBG Blend
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Some Experience

Re: Sprayers

Post by falcon » March 3rd, 2021, 5:15 pm

Yeah, if I end up wanting/needing to do Iron, that would make sense. Thanks for your advice.