Mower, blade, or?

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
ero2
Grass Type: Tall Fescue
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Mower, blade, or?

Post by ero2 » June 16th, 2021, 6:58 pm

Hey all! I grew up in an era and with a grandpa who taught me that a lawn is representation of a persons character and attention to their home, AND, is an important place for their kids to play in. My lawn, after 7 years is mostly weed free, solid fescue turf, and looks decent. I'm starting to pay more attention to the tools I use to maintain it too. I have used a Husqvarna 625 AWD for the 7 years I've been here, and sharpened the blade that came with it for that whole time once a season (GASP). It seemed to work well, but I was told that "gators beat everything", so grabbed one, installed it (correctly), and went to town. I did not sharpen it first, as Gator said not to, and gave it a few mows to stop tearing the grass and it still tears pretty badly, so I have a few questions:

Is my Husq AWD push mower just crap and I should upgrade?

Could the gator blade be too heavy for this level of mower?

I did have the gator blade sharpened/used it long enough for the black paint to wear off, and it still tears.

I don't recall the stock Husqvarna blade tearing ever, even after all that time, just go back to it?

I bag the clippings, always have. I know it's ideal to mulch, but any time I try to mulch I end up with clippings/clumps. I would LOVE to not have to bag, but don't need a riding mower, but but still want it to look well manicured.

I can replace the blade, the mower, or anything else, just not sure if it's necessary or advantageous to do?

Thanks in advance for any insight or help!

flyin-lowe
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 2 acre-5 acre
Level: Some Experience

Re: Mower, blade, or?

Post by flyin-lowe » June 23rd, 2021, 9:16 pm

I'm no expert but experienced something similar a couple years ago. I had new gators and was seeing tearing. I was told the only thing that could be the cause is a dull blade or a sharp blade not spinning fast enough. I have a commercial grade mower with a 30 horse engine so I assume the extra weight of the gator blades is not slowing it down. Not sure if you mower spins the same speed with a heavier blade or not.