EGO POWER+ 21" with 10AH battery

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
olde_fart
Grass Type: Tall Fescue mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

EGO POWER+ 21" with 10AH battery

Post by olde_fart » October 4th, 2021, 10:02 pm

I am considering this Ego lawnmower and am looking for feedback from anyone who might have one. My lawn is ~1/2 acre and hilly. I just completely redid the lawn and would like something lighter than a riding device. Electric is my 1st choice over a gas engine.

TIA

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Re: EGO POWER+ 21" with 10AH battery

Post by turf_toes » October 5th, 2021, 7:49 am

I’ve no experience with the Ego.

But this spring Toro finally released a battery-powered Super Recycler model. (They’ve previously released battery operated models. But none were their top of the line Super Recycler)

The Battery-powered Toro SR has the same aluminum deck as the gas powered Super Recyclers. (many of the battery-powered mowers on the market use cheaper plastic decks.)

The cut while mulch mowing is the best of any mower I’ve ever used (Super Recycler or otherwise).

The battery is 7.5 amp 60 volt.

It reliably handles a third of an acre without a recharge. I know there is an ego mower that allows you to simultaneously plug in two batteries so you can do up to half an acre. But you can just buy an extra battery for the Toro and it is literally a 10 second battery swap, if you need it to run more than 45 minutes.

I’ve put it through it’s paces this season. I once went two weeks between cuts (in late May). The battery-powered Toro SR handled the tall grass challenge just fine.

The battery-powered Super Recycler sounds more like a vacuum cleaner than a mower. It’s quiet enough that it’s possible to have a conversation while the mower is running.

The biggest negative I had was finding it. I believe it’s easier to find now. But I had to buy the T-model which comes without the battery and then source the battery directly from Toro..

I’m not a tree hugger. I just needed a new mower. So I gave this a try. I’m glad I did. It is literally the best mower I have ever owned

bolson32
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Post by bolson32 » October 5th, 2021, 10:42 am

Honestly, electric-powered lawn implements are the way to go, all the way from chain saws and mowers down to weed whips and leaf blowers. It's just so much less of a pain in the [banned word] to deal with tiny gas engines than it is to pop on a battery and pull the trigger. I'm down to 1 diesel engine on my JD 1026r, 2 chainsaws, and that's it. I don't want to deal with the maintenance, messiness, and starting issues anymore. I'll always have the tractor, but the chainsaws can be electric in the next few years, I don't use them enough to have the 2 Stihls I do have.

I do not have that specific EGO mower but I do have an older model and it works great. I may end up selling it as I don't really use it anymore since I just mow everything with the rider and let it get shaggy under the spruce trees. It DOES have some issues with really tall and thick grass, but some gas mowers have issues too. I've also only ran it on a 2.5ah battery and a 10ah should have a fair bit more power and longevity.

The Toro also sounds sweet, but I have a big assortment of EGO products and I pretty much love them all. Snowblower, leaf blower, weed whip and push mower. I'll be getting the pole saw next. As for aluminum vs plastic deck...meh. The molded plastic is really tough and you're not going to hurt it by throwing rocks in the mower. For something to actually break it, would have to be well outside the bounds of normal use, something falling on it, dropping from a tall height, etc. Even then...it's pretty damn tough. I would maybe consider that as a selling point over aluminum which won't corrode but the paint will chip. My EGO is probably 5-8 years old and looks new.

TLDR; Electric is great, EGO is great, Toro is also probably great. You can't go wrong with either.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Post by turf_toes » October 5th, 2021, 12:04 pm

Yeah. I’ve been replacing all my two-stroke gas tools with Toro battery models. The batteries are interchangeable. The hedge trimmer makes the gas-powered model look weak in comparison.

I’d disagree about the plastic deck. I normally go 15-20-years between mowers. I’d not risk a plastic deck to last that long when stored in a garage subjected to extreme temperature changes. Ymmv.

For me, quality of cut was the most important factor. In my experience, nothing beats the Toro Super Recyclers for quality of cut.

I would not have purchased any other model or brand for that reason.

https://www.toro.com/en/homeowner/walk- ... ower-21388

olde_fart

Post by olde_fart » October 5th, 2021, 1:21 pm

Thanks for the input. As mentioned by bolson32, I am also pretty much converted to all battery operated power tools. I went with the Dewalt system. Their mower just hasn't received the best reviews tho. I use their battery powered chain saw - just not compatible with the 20v Max system batteries.

I am going to pull he trigger on the Ego. With the effort I just put in with replacing my lawn I want to be really careful not to destroy it too soon :) My Kubota is a little too heavy for it :( I'm going to let my lawn cutter guy go as his zero turns did some tearing up every time he was here. I'm not concerned about the plastic deck as the mower will be stored in the walkout basement.

Just want to cut the grass one time before the cold really hits. The grass is already over 3" and its only been just over 3 weeks since seeding.

Thanks again

bolson32

Post by bolson32 » October 6th, 2021, 3:10 pm

I get the deck thing Turf Toes, but mine's been in an unheated garage in Minnesota for it's whole life. One thing to remember, this is solid molded plastic that's VERY thick, it's not like it's a plexiglass window. I just don't see it ever wearing to be honest. But to each their own, the cut is very likely not as great as the Toro. But since I just use it for mowing around stuff, the quality of the cut wasn't as big of a deal to me.

Good luck olde_fart, be sure to let us know how it goes!

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » October 6th, 2021, 5:52 pm

I'm in the process of the transfer to battery myself (in my case, Worx to match the Landroid and edger).

Durability of plastics depends on what kind of plastic it is. PVC, for instance, can tolerate some extreme conditions for decades without noticeable wear, particularly if colored with titanium dioxide (and whatever hue the company wants to add). Others won't last a season in sunlight.

olde_fart

Post by olde_fart » October 28th, 2021, 12:36 pm

Just a follow up on my experience so far with the Ego. I have been very pleased. My first concern was battery life. I have just about a 1/2 acre that I completely redid this fall and the Ego completes the mowing with about 40% left in the 'tank'. There are 5 'bars' indicating battery life and they are either at 3 left or just drop to 2 when I'm done.
I should note that I try to not use the 'self-propelled' mode as I mow as much for exercise as anything else.
Based on several recommendations I use the mulch blade and cut the new lawn high (3+ inches). Its been cut 2X a week now for a few weeks. The finish cut looks great to me.
The one eccentricity that I knew about before has to do with the self propelled mode not disengaging automatically in some circumstances. If you have it engaged and stop, then try to back up the wheel is locked. This would certainly happen at the end of a row where you need to turn. The easy cure is to disengage just before you reach the point where you want to turn. It just takes releasing hold of a button. It took about 30 seconds to get used to doing this.
I was slightly disappointed with the sound level. Reviews I read prior to purchase made one beelieve this was a silent or near silent mower. No question it is MUCH quieter than a gas mower. My neighbor commented that she heard it and didn't know what it was - too quiet to be a mower.

Bottom line - I would buy it again.

bolson32

Post by bolson32 » October 28th, 2021, 3:51 pm

Glad you like it! I'll also second the noise, it's a little too loud to talk on the phone while you're mowing. But it's a hell of a lot better than a gas mower!

edslawn
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by edslawn » October 31st, 2021, 10:05 am

I've also watched the battery implements for a while and I have an EGO hedge trimmer that I really like. In my case, I needed a push mower for my lawn when the ground is soft and also for harder-to-reach areas. I ended up getting the Toro Timemaster due to concerns about a battery handling the size of the lawn, but I suspect I will eventually go electric.

It also seems like you are best to coordinate the purchases with a common battery system so you can share the batteries across the implements more easily. I also worry a bit about the lifespan and needing to buy a bunch of expensive batteries as you reach the charge cycle limits. Perhaps it is a wash with gas maintenance costs.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » October 31st, 2021, 8:41 pm

edslawn wrote:
October 31st, 2021, 10:05 am
II also worry a bit about the lifespan and needing to buy a bunch of expensive batteries as you reach the charge cycle limits. Perhaps it is a wash with gas maintenance costs.
The battery curves are as complicated as nuclear physics, sometimes. The basic rundown is, don't charge fully, don't store or use hot if possible (cold is generally OK), don't drain to the dregs if you can, and store around 40-70% power in most cases.

bolson32

Post by bolson32 » November 1st, 2021, 12:01 pm

And to add, I've had EGO implements for 4 years now and haven't had to get rid of a battery. Granted I'm not mowing with them weekly, mostly weed whip and blower, but they get used frequently enough.

I'll report back on the snow blower this year :D

turf_toes

Post by turf_toes » November 1st, 2021, 12:19 pm

The Toro batteries come with three year warranties. In my area, one full spring service of my gas mower at an authorized service dealer costs as much as a new battery.

So assuming the batteries last just the length of the warranty, it will save me a lot of money over maintenance of a gas mower.

I’m hardly a tree hugger here. But my Toro Super Recycler battery mower cuts better than the gas version. It also has a lower cost of ownership.

But as I noted above, the Super Recycler is the first battery electric that shares a deck and other parts with their gas-powered siblings.

As I noted, I’m not a tree hugger. But I’m not opposed to electric powered mowers either. I just didn’t want to compromise on quality of cut. This battery-powered Toro Super Recycler has the best cut I’ve seen in any walk behind mower, battery or gas powered.

I’m skipping the snow blower. That might work in warmer climes. But none of the battery-powered snow blowers work well if you get more than 9-inches of snow. That amount can fall easily overnight when you sleep.

bolson32

Post by bolson32 » November 1st, 2021, 9:08 pm

Pretty sure the ego 2 stage would handle that no problem but they're not cheap. I just have the single stage for the patio, 1026r with a snow pusher for the driveway 😄

That said, I'm mostly with you. While I do think moving away from fossil fuels is prudent, I don't really let it dictate my purchasing decisions. But it has become quite obvious that electric motors can easily out perform combustion engines. It's just a question of practicality in powering them.