Need a new mower

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
NJDan
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Need a new mower

Post by NJDan » November 25th, 2021, 5:42 pm

I bought a Honda HRX2174HZA sometime before 2015. Maybe 2013. Anyway, without getting into it I'm an idiot and now I need a new mower. I looked into a direct replacement and it appears as though it now has a 200cc vs 190cc engine and 9 inch instead of 8 inch wheels. I always found it nearly impossible to adjust the rear wheels so hopefully that has been improved upon. Anybody have comments on whether there are any comparable mowers I should consider? I prefer gas powered and also don't think I'm interested in robot mowers yet. I'm mowing about 9000 sf so I has to be self-propelled.

My other concern is availability. Looks like they are sold out at couple of places I checked. Other than mulching leaves, I guess I don't really need a new mower until the spring.

Thanks for any comments!

Dan

edslawn
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Re: Need a new mower

Post by edslawn » November 26th, 2021, 8:18 pm

I recently got the Toro Timemaster and it has been great this season.

Lawndog
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Midnight II, Moonlight & Prosperity), Back: Blueberry KBG

Post by Lawndog » November 26th, 2021, 8:38 pm

I've had mine since 2014. It's an ok mower if you're willing to replace parts on it each year. I pretty much rebuilt the whole thing since I've owned it. I can't believe they increased the price on it from 999 a year ago to 1399 today. I would say it isn't worth the new price for what its worth.

NJDan
Grass Type: KBG

Post by NJDan » November 27th, 2021, 2:07 pm

Lawndog wrote:
November 26th, 2021, 8:38 pm
I've had mine since 2014. It's an ok mower if you're willing to replace parts on it each year. I pretty much rebuilt the whole thing since I've owned it. I can't believe they increased the price on it from 999 a year ago to 1399 today. I would say it isn't worth the new price for what its worth.
Are you talking about the Honda or the Toro? I never had a single problem with my Honda until, ahem, I killed it by accident.

Lawndog
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Midnight II, Moonlight & Prosperity), Back: Blueberry KBG

Post by Lawndog » November 27th, 2021, 2:33 pm

Toro Timemaster

edslawn
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by edslawn » November 28th, 2021, 9:58 am

The timemaster is a twin-blade system, so I've heard that the belt system can wear out and some even replace these parts with the commercial-grade equivalent parts. Is that what you have rebuilt?

From a speed and cut quality standpoint, I love mine.

Lawndog

Post by Lawndog » November 28th, 2021, 12:35 pm

Yes, I've rebuilt pretty much everything on this mower including the the engine. Pulleys, cables, spindles, sprockets, etc.... Great mower when it works but is a hassle when it doesnt.