Honda Mower Seized Engine - Repair

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
NJDan
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Honda Mower Seized Engine - Repair

Post by NJDan » December 25th, 2021, 2:46 pm

Hi. I ran my Honda HRX217HZA with the GC190 engine dry of oil stupidly about a month ago. It seized up and I thought I was done until I started googling it. Apparently a lot of times the piston can be freed with some penetrating oil and a wrench. I removed the spark plug and the top cover where the pull cord is housed. This exposed a nut that is connected to the motor shaft. I was able to free up the nut and everything turns as it should. The pull cord now pulls. However, I am not getting any spark so nothing is happening.

In the process of figuring out the spark problem I noticed that I do not see any piston movement while turning the motor. I look into the spark plug hole with a flashlight and nothing moves. Does this mean I have a sheared part between the motor and piston, or is this normal? I'm not going to pursue the spark issue if I have a stuck piston.

Thanks for any comments!

Dan

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Honda Mower Seized Engine - Repair

Post by andy10917 » December 27th, 2021, 9:35 am

Chances are high that you snapped the connecting rod, and that is a major failure.

NJDan
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Honda Mower Seized Engine - Repair

Post by NJDan » December 27th, 2021, 9:53 am

andy10917 wrote:
December 27th, 2021, 9:35 am
Chances are high that you snapped the connecting rod, and that is a major failure.
I'm taking the thing apart to see what's going on but that's easier said than done when you don't normally take mowers apart. These mowers are well over $1000 now so it is well worth a little time to see if I can replace a part rather than scrap the whole thing. I did find a site that is specific to small engine repair so I'm getting some help there.

Thanks for the reply!