Rotary Broom - Good, Bad, Indifferent for Lawns

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
Bales9er
Grass Type: Lesco Double Eagle PR
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Some Experience

Rotary Broom - Good, Bad, Indifferent for Lawns

Post by Bales9er » May 2nd, 2022, 12:14 pm

Looking for people's thoughts on buying a walk behind rotary broom sweeper (think Sweepster) to use primarily for spring cleanup of the lawn. I know the general consensus on here is that brooming/sweeping/raking is more detrimental than it's worth to the lawn but my results (compared to neighbors that have it done) would say otherwise.

Anyone have advice for or against this approach?

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Rotary Broom - Good, Bad, Indifferent for Lawns

Post by turf_toes » May 2nd, 2022, 12:38 pm

There could be many other variables involved in why your neighbors’ lawns look better than yours.

I’d never suggest using one because I mulch mow organic matter back into the soil. If you have stuff laying around on top of your lawn after you mow, you probably need a better mower.

Bales9er

Post by Bales9er » May 2nd, 2022, 12:58 pm

So i guess the answer to that is yes and no, I do have stuff laying on top of the soil but my soil also sucks and has virtually no microbial activity to eat those leaves. My primary issue is heavy areas of mulched leaves that just don't ever get worked into the soil so I was thinking about the sweeper to get rid of that barrier each season so my regular amendments actually get down to the soil instead of sit on top of that leaf barrier.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » May 2nd, 2022, 1:02 pm

Meh. Personally, if my leaves weren't working (so to speak), I'd kick them along a little. Put some faster nitrogen down on them, like some Milorganite or even a little urea. Not much, a tenth of a pound per thousand should do it, to kick the process along (leaves decay via fungal processes, but adding N brings more bacteria, which are faster, into play).

If you'd rather use the broom, I don't see any reason why not, really. I'd turn around and compost the leaves to add back later, but that's just me. I never let a useful organic leave the property.

Bales9er

Post by Bales9er » May 2nd, 2022, 1:47 pm

Thats a fair approach, I can't afford to let any OM leave my property I need all the help I can get. I would definitely compost everything I broom.