Bradley E-40-3 Edger

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
oze
Grass Type: Northern mix transitioning to Regenerating Perennial Ryegrass
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Some Experience

Bradley E-40-3 Edger

Post by oze » August 8th, 2022, 5:07 pm

Anyone have any experience or knowledge wrt the Bradley E-40-3 Edger? https://www.bradleymowers.com/products/ ... hind-edger

A local dealer that I've worked with in the past has a used one for $349, and I'm strongly considering going for it. I have a battery-powered stick edger whose battery lasts for about 100 linear feet, and I'm at the age where I'd rather not have to work as hard edging my lawn as I do with it. String trimmer rotated 90 degrees produces a cut that's just too jagged for me, so it's a walk-behind for this old codger. Any other recommendations are also appreciated, with brands having the least Chinese parts preferred. Tanks, as always!

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Bradley E-40-3 Edger

Post by turf_toes » August 9th, 2022, 7:40 am

I’ve always used an old Yardman brand four wheel edger. I’ve had it nearly 20 years and it works great. I think you can still buy them in the box stores. I’ve no idea where the parts are made.

But I think these days it would be hard to source almost any product that didn’t have some components made in China.

oze

Post by oze » August 9th, 2022, 4:38 pm

Thanks, TT. You are correct that it is next to impossible to completely eliminate parts sourced from China in almost anything you buy these days. In separate projects, I spent hours researching toasters, irons and lawn mowers. All I can hope to do is to minimize the damage.

oze

Post by oze » August 10th, 2022, 5:29 pm

After hours of research, I went completely overboard and ordered this from Amazon: McLane 101-5.5GT-7 https://www.amazon.com/McLane-101-4-75G ... HL3OT&th=1

According to their web site, these edgers are made in their California location, "from raw metal to the finishing touch". I'm hoping that edging my modest 500 linear feet of sidewalks/driveway will be more like pushing a stroller than operating a hand saw as is the case now with my severely under-powered and under-batteried Ryobi.