Power Wheelbarrow thoughts?

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
Adam_M
Grass Type: Midnight, Bewitched, Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Power Wheelbarrow thoughts?

Post by Adam_M » April 11th, 2023, 10:52 am

It is mulch year - ugh.

I've got about 4K of mulch beds (thankfully, not all of it is highly landscaped), about 2k of which is 25 feet above where I can get mulch delivered (up a relatively steep hill) and another 1K is up a portion of that steep hill - about 10 feet of the 25.

I don't really want a lawn tractor, so I'm considering a power wheelbarrow. Any experience with them? I don't want to break the bank getting it, but as long as it is cheaper than having someone come in and install the mulch, it is an option.

The Makita XUC01X1 caught my eye - mostly because Makita is a brand I trust - but that knobby front tire has me a bit concerned and it isn't the cheapest tool going. I don't have other Makita rechargeable tools, but I'm not opposed in the least and I've got a couple in my fleet that need replaced, buying into this ecosystem isn't the worst thing...

On the cheaper end, the landworks (or one of its clones) from amazon look reasonable and are much cheaper - although I'm not sure how I feel about not being able to hot swap the battery.

This isn't a tool I'm going to use all the time. Mulch every other year, hauling a pallet of milo up the same hill noted above into a shed every other year (1 pallet lasts me 2 ish years), ...perhaps hauling supplies to build a retaining wall in the future, so I'm not so sure I need a top of the line piece of equipment, but I also don't want to buy the cheap one, which is still $700, and end up with a broken tool in a couple seasons with no recourse, or tool that isn't fit for my specific purpose.

I'd be interested in any experience and advice out there with this tool class.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Level: Advanced

Re: Power Wheelbarrow thoughts?

Post by MorpheusPA » April 11th, 2023, 10:56 am

My mother has a DR Power wagon (known as Doctor) and loves it--it is handy in terms of moving things around. I have ten yards of mulch being delivered tomorrow, but drag on a tarp or bucket it. But that thing's like two grand. Still, easy to use, reliable, and so on.

I can't speak for other brands.

She's found that you use it more than you think. As soon as something slightly heavy comes along, into the Doctor it goes and haul it that way.

edslawn
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by edslawn » April 13th, 2023, 10:31 pm

Adam_M
Grass Type: Midnight, Bewitched, Prosperity

Post by Adam_M » April 14th, 2023, 1:16 pm

Thanks to both of you for the advice!

I very much want the yardmax. I'm not convinced I NEED the yardmax. The Dr Power Wagon is not a class of machine I was considering either, but Morph has me thinking about that one too - both of those are likely worthy upgrades from the more wheelbarrow-like solutions I was originally considering.

That's one of the reasons I asked - didn't want to underbuy and the message has been pretty clear that I need to look 1 level higher than I was...

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » April 16th, 2023, 11:11 am

Please note that today is Sunday and I've hauled 8 of the 10 cu yards of mulch by hand. I rather wish I were temporarily numb from the neck down until the muscle pain heals--and this is after spending 4 days a week working the biceps and pecs, and not exactly being on the bottom or middle rung for my age group. I'm taking a day off and I'll do the rest after work on Monday.

It can be done, but a wheelbarrow would make it much easier.