Earthway S15 Sprayer Review

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
Lawndog
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Midnight II, Moonlight & Prosperity), Back: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Earthway S15 Sprayer Review

Post by Lawndog » March 24th, 2012, 5:45 pm

Thanks for the explanation Jeff. After your company has finished reinforcing the brace, will you send us the upgrade? I have contacted you about my sprayers through emails in the recent past. I'm bracing my pump with wire ties at the moment to keep the flimsy bracket from breaking a third time.

xxryu139xx
Grass Type: Elite KBG: Emblem/NuGlade/Bedazzled

Post by xxryu139xx » March 24th, 2012, 7:02 pm

Jeff,

Would you post a user manual for the hand-held sprayer. I couldn't get it to prime and spray the other day. Thanks!

Michael Wise
Grass Type: Tifway 419

Post by Michael Wise » March 24th, 2012, 7:51 pm

Ha! :rotfl: I thought the hand sprayer was a mistake, because mine was missing the mounting bracket.

I just ordered the bracket with no questions because I thought I was stealing the hand sprayer. :D

And thanks a ton for the explanation, Jeff. Makes me much more confident in this sprayer.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

JeffK
Grass Type: Tall Fescue

Post by JeffK » March 24th, 2012, 9:19 pm

If you need a manual - you can download on from our web site - this is the link http://www.earthway.com/products/liquid ... -spray-proIf you have any issues (the web site is really new and I'm debugging it) shoot me a message with your email and I'll send it direct.
Jeff

jason
Grass Type: Kentucky Bluegrass

Post by jason » March 24th, 2012, 10:33 pm

JeffK wrote:Through the help of a number of customers experiences with tight pumps that caused gearbox brace failures, we are reinforcing the gearbox brace connection point to correct the issue. I assure you that if you have a problem in the future with this connection point, we will stand behind the product and correct the problem.
Thank you for acknowledging this issue here and designing a solution. In regards to my individual case thanks for responding and sending a replacement unit so quickly. This allowed me to finish my project in a timely manner (I will return the damaged unit shortly). Although it was unfortunate to experience this brace failure in the middle of a project, your warranty support was stellar.

Regarding the reinforced brace solution... is this a production solution that is currently shipping with new S15 units? How can we identify a unit with the reinforced brace solution?

JeffK

Post by JeffK » March 25th, 2012, 8:13 am

Jason,
We feel from the review of the photos of the damage that this solution is the correct way forward. The solution is being implemented in the next production run of gearbox housings and will be seen in the near future. As soon as we sample the mold and approve the results, I'll post a photo to this link. As designed, you will see additional ribs radiating from the stud where the brace attaches to the gearbox back into the gearbox housing. This will increase the strength of the brace to gearbox connection point and solve the problem.
Jeff

Ohio2112
Grass Type: KBG

Post by Ohio2112 » March 25th, 2012, 11:10 am

JeffK wrote:Jason,
We feel from the review of the photos of the damage that this solution is the correct way forward. The solution is being implemented in the next production run of gearbox housings and will be seen in the near future. As soon as we sample the mold and approve the results, I'll post a photo to this link. As designed, you will see additional ribs radiating from the stud where the brace attaches to the gearbox back into the gearbox housing. This will increase the strength of the brace to gearbox connection point and solve the problem.
Jeff
I just ordered an S15 from Northern Tool yesterday.
My bum shoulder can't afford to wait for the redesign to make it all the way through to current stock at the distributors. (My current 4 gal backpack sprayer is seriously beating up my shoulder.)

Is there an official intermediate fix I can do to prevent the current bracket from breaking?
I would rather be proactive than deal with it after it breaks, if possible.

What is the plan to deal with the current version if it does break?

Ohio2112

Post by Ohio2112 » March 25th, 2012, 11:15 am

MorpheusPA wrote:I really do have to take those photos, and I will once the Black Death fades. At least I made work today...
Is the Black Death still kicking your a$$?
Some around here have had a bug for a week or more.
Luckily, mine only lasted 4 days.

Anyway, when you're up to it, I'd like to see how your S15 is different than the others.

JeffK

Post by JeffK » March 25th, 2012, 12:09 pm

First, thanks for the purchase. As a preventative measure, zip tie the gearbox (thru the housing loop) to the lower handle. That will prevent any movement of the gearbox/pump assembly. Keep in mind that this is not an accepted widespread problem with all S15 units - it appears to be an isolated issue, but regardless we will support the product fully whether within the 5 year warranty or after. Earthway will stand behind our products fully.

Lawndog
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Midnight II, Moonlight & Prosperity), Back: Blueberry KBG

Post by Lawndog » March 25th, 2012, 1:03 pm

Will we be getting the free upgrade when it's redesigned? or do we keep the zip ties on and hope it doesn't fail? I understand the future sprayers will be ugraded but what will be done for the people who purchased them recently?

JeffK

Post by JeffK » March 25th, 2012, 1:25 pm

Well you will only need one if it fails, and yes then we will upgrade you with the new parts. Which is why I said that the problem is not widespread with all S15 units. The change is an improvement and I'm not viewing the current gearbox as defective considering the 750+ units in the field since last summer, and only a handful - less than 10, having this issue. I am confident that you won't have any problems. But with any mechanical device, despite our best efforts, if can break, someone will break it.
Rest assured, we will support the product.
Jeff

Ohio2112

Post by Ohio2112 » March 31st, 2012, 9:26 pm

I just used mine for the first time.

The good:
It came with all the nozzles.
It came with the sprayer, although I'm not spraying anything where I'd need it.
The pump housing did not break.
(But that's probably only because I zip tied the gearbox housing loop to the lower handle.)

The not so good:
Pushing it with 5 gallons or 1 gallon is VERY hard.
The pump makes a loud, high pitched grinding-type noise. Kinda like I've heard some of those little battery powered cars make.
The lever that selects spray/transport is reversed. (It sprays when pointing to Transport.)

I know some people have said theirs wasn't very easy to push, but this one is downright hard.
My arms and back are really sore. I sprayed about 8 gallons of BL SC & Kelp Help on 6k. Still getting used to the flow. It was really hard to walk fast enough to get the flow where it should be.
This thing was supposed to be easier to use than the backpack sprayer.
It's not.

I have a feeling I've got one of those "tight" pumps JeffK mentioned.
I'm really hoping there is something wrong with the pump that can be fixed, because if this the way it is supposed to be, I'm probably going to return it go back to using the backpack sprayer.

I'm going to call Earthway on Monday.

Has anyone else experienced their pump making a loud noise and/or being really hard to push?

xxryu139xx

Post by xxryu139xx » March 31st, 2012, 9:40 pm

both machines i had made a whirring noise when it is spraying, like i said before it sounds like your winding up a toy race car. i can't really say if it is "loud" per se, but its my way of knowing that its actually spraying.

i had trouble pushing both machines, but i think it was mainly from the gearbox catching when u are switching from transport to spraying. u kinda have to push it a couple of feet before the gearbox catches and then the wheel starts moving forward easily. i noticed it does the same thing when u switch from spraying to transport when u have to tow it backwards instead.

i would imagine after pushing it around for 6000 sq.ft. u would have learned the nuances of the machine. this leads me to believe that your machine was also defective aside from the fact that the switch is reversed.

JeffK

Post by JeffK » March 31st, 2012, 10:15 pm

By the sounds of it the pump might be tight - it should loosen up after a little use, but shoot me your address (jkendall@earthway.com) and I'll have a replacement pump sent out Monday.
Jeff

Ohio2112

Post by Ohio2112 » March 31st, 2012, 10:57 pm

Address info sent.
Thanks for the quick reply and for saving me a call on Monday!

Ohio2112

Post by Ohio2112 » April 7th, 2012, 4:14 pm

I received the replacement pump on Wednesday and replaced it that evening. It was very easy to replace, only took about 10 minutes. Because it's been kinda windy and cold all week, I didn't get a chance to use it on the lawn until today. I sprayed Iron, Ammonium sulfate, BL Kelp Help and a touch of molasses and SLS. It is MUCH easier to push than the original pump.

I sprayed 8 gallons on 6k and my back and shoulders aren't ready to croak like they were with the original pump. I'm still getting used to how fast to go and how wide each pass should be. My goal is one gallon per K. I used the medium (gray) nozzle at the highest setting. The manual says I should be getting a 60" spray width at the highest setting and it seems like I'm getting about 48".

So far I really like it. It's definitely easier to use than the 4 gallon back pack sprayer. For those considering one, keep in mind if you spray the lawn and beds now, the S15 is great for the lawn, but you will still need to use a pump or hose end sprayer for the beds. The hand sprayer it comes with is for spot spraying. It's activated by squeezing a hand lever like on a bottle of Windex.

Michael Wise
Grass Type: Tifway 419

Post by Michael Wise » April 7th, 2012, 4:25 pm

I thought the blue nozzle was the medium, and the gray was the small.

eriocaulon
Grass Type: KBG(midnight/moonlight), TTTF (summerlawn), RSBG (Winterplex, SabreIII)

Post by eriocaulon » April 7th, 2012, 4:26 pm

Glad that worked out for you. That's pretty great customer service I'd say!

xxryu139xx

Post by xxryu139xx » April 7th, 2012, 4:29 pm

yes blue = medium

Ohio2112

Post by Ohio2112 » April 7th, 2012, 7:54 pm

Michael Wise wrote:I thought the blue nozzle was the medium, and the gray was the small.

You're right. I got the colors mixed up cuz I tried using both today. I ended up going with the medium (blue) nozzle.
eriocaulon wrote:Glad that worked out for you. That's pretty great customer service I'd say!
I agree their customer service is great. I can't say I've seen a company do any better.