Earthway S15 Sprayer Review

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
Michael Wise
Grass Type: Tifway 419
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Earthway S15 Sprayer Review

Post by Michael Wise » April 7th, 2012, 7:58 pm

I'm using the blue nozzle, too, and am getting about the same spray width as you said above.

Overlapping the 15% they recommend in the manual has me using VERY close to 1 gallon per 1000.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Ohio2112
Grass Type: KBG

Post by Ohio2112 » April 7th, 2012, 9:54 pm

Michael Wise wrote:I'm using the blue nozzle, too, and am getting about the same spray width as you said above.

Overlapping the 15% they recommend in the manual has me using VERY close to 1 gallon per 1000.

Good, I'm glad it's not just me.
I think if I walk just a little faster I'll hit 1 gallon per K.
I'm used to walking pretty slow with my SP0 backpack sprayer to get 1 gallon per K.

Mightyquinn
Grass Type: Bermuda Tifway 419 Monostand

Post by Mightyquinn » April 8th, 2012, 8:10 pm

I am seriously considering buying one of these after I just applied Prodiamine/Celcius mixture to the lawn with my backpack pump sprayer. This was really the first time I used the sprayer to spray the whole lawn, and after spraying almost 10K, I was thinking to myself there has to be a better way!!!! I probably wouldn't mind it too much if I only had to do it once or twice a year but since I plan on spraying Primo Maxx monthly this year that would be tedious!!!

Does anybody know what the main difference is between the S15 and S25 other than capacity??

eriocaulon
Grass Type: KBG(midnight/moonlight), TTTF (summerlawn), RSBG (Winterplex, SabreIII)

Post by eriocaulon » April 8th, 2012, 8:16 pm

Mightyquinn, if the weight of the sprayer is getting you down, that's one thing, but if it is the hauling it around back-and-forth so many times, you should consider the SP Systems 3 nozzle boom (60" wide swath). I cover 15,000 sqft in 3 tankfulls spraying primo maxx, iron, serenade, tko phosphite, tenacity.

Mightyquinn

Post by Mightyquinn » April 8th, 2012, 10:05 pm

It is not so much the weight as it is having to constantly pump and spray and having to fill it up and everything, the weight isn't too bad but if I didn't have to hump it around anymore I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

SNJlawn

Post by SNJlawn » May 27th, 2012, 3:59 pm

One thing I didn't see brought up that I am curious about is how bad is it to clean this sprayer out? That's what makes me reluctant on buying one. I'm assuming you have to push it to get the residual out of the nozzle too. I guess that could be done in the driveway. I hate cleaning out my backpack sprayer, this just seems like it would be a lot worse.

Michael Wise

Post by Michael Wise » May 27th, 2012, 4:06 pm

I pour in some water, swish it around, and dump it. Do that a couple three times. Then I put a little more clean water in and push it around to clean the nozzle and hoses.

Just as you suspect. Not tough, just time. :)

JeffK
Grass Type: Tall Fescue

Post by JeffK » May 27th, 2012, 4:23 pm

With the pull back feature, you don't even need to push it around - just push it forward and and them pull it back - repeat it a few times and you're done. I do recommend using a commercially available tank cleaner when goiing from one treatment to another.

SNJlawn

Post by SNJlawn » May 27th, 2012, 8:14 pm

So probably not as bad as it seems to me.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

GaryCinChicago

Post by GaryCinChicago » May 27th, 2012, 8:14 pm

Michael Wise wrote: Do that a couple three times.
Me thinks your last name was shorten from Wiseski long ago because you can speak polllock - which I fully understand! :rotfl:

I think some people are overly cautious with cleaning their tanks personally.

Example, guys are spraying BL conditioner or Kehlp helper and cleaning their tanks diligently afterwards. Rinse the nozzle to prevent clogging and move on. Who cares about the residual?

I also believe that owning multiple tanks/sprayers for dedicated products is silly also. Rinse it out, that's all.

See .... If you are using a 2, 4D product that requires 5oz of product per gallon of H2O, it really aint that strong to begin with, and a quick lick and a promise with a 1/2 gallon of water, shake, pump, squirt, is all that is needed. RoundUp is another one. That 1/2 gallon of water made it lame like corduroy pants on a hemoroid!

Now however, Certainty, which will cause so much collateral damage with only 15 dry, little, itsy, bitsy grams of product ... THAT'S different!

I say use your head.
You mixed it - and you know whether it is powerful or not depending on the amount of product used.

And +1 ... if switching from 1 weed killer to another ....c'mon, the object is to kill weeds, plural. (i.e. 2, 4D for dandelions, then Triclopyr for violets) A little residual from that never hurt nothing.

Work smarter - not harder because by golly, it's hot out there!

Ohio2112

Post by Ohio2112 » May 27th, 2012, 8:24 pm

It's easier to clean than my backpack. The big handle makes it easier to handle when cleaning and dumping the water out. I'm very happy with mine. I'm using it way more than I ever used the backpack because it's so much easier and quicker. No more pumping!

Although I keep the backpack sprayer around for pre-m and other rate critical chemicals.

SNJlawn

Post by SNJlawn » May 27th, 2012, 8:38 pm

I think I'd spray more too if I had one. Im really thinking about buying one, but I guess I'm just being cheap because the backpack sprayer is getting me by right now. Maybe this fall I'll pick one up.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Michael Wise

Post by Michael Wise » May 27th, 2012, 10:54 pm

GaryCinChicago wrote:
Me thinks your last name was shorten from Wiseski long ago because you can speak polllock - which I fully understand! :rotfl:
I thought you would go with Wiseasski. :D

GaryCinChicago

Post by GaryCinChicago » May 28th, 2012, 5:32 pm

Michael Wise wrote:
I thought you would go with Wiseasski. :D

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image[/quote]

Excellent! :taunt:

Mightyquinn

Post by Mightyquinn » May 28th, 2012, 6:38 pm

+1 Gary!! All I ever do is rinse it out with water and push the fresh water out the hose for a minute or two and I have never had any issues, I can't think of anything that would have enough residual to hurt anything. It is your equipment and your lawn so do what you wish!!!!

Michael Wise

Post by Michael Wise » June 1st, 2012, 12:06 pm

Does anybody else always end up with at least 32 oz. of liquid left in the bottom of the tank, regardless of how level you operate this thing?

The holes where the liquid is sucked to the pump or agitated are at the bottom of the tank, and still submerged(at least I think) when it quits spraying, but it just stops spraying and leaves me with at least 32 oz. left over.

Some of my tank fulls even stopped with a little more fluid left over today that wouldn't "pick up".

Not a huge deal because I adjusted my mix to account for it, but it is kinda annoying.

Lawndog
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Midnight II, Moonlight & Prosperity), Back: Blueberry KBG

Post by Lawndog » June 1st, 2012, 12:25 pm

That's one of my complaints with it as well. The unit just stops spraying with around half gallon of fluid on mine. We both know this sprayer has other issues with its pump being too tight as well. Did you end up making a bracket for yours?

Michael Wise

Post by Michael Wise » June 1st, 2012, 12:33 pm

No, I did not. My pump isn't tight. Figured I'd just use it as is and fix it later if there is a problem.

It takes me 5 tanks to cover my lawn, and I know 2 of them were closer to your 1/2 gallon left over figure.

I'm gonna use this thing as long as it last, but it's replacement will either be the drop in unit Spreadermate, or a setup like eriocaulon's.

jason
Grass Type: Kentucky Bluegrass

Post by jason » June 1st, 2012, 6:23 pm

Mine has way over 32oz left before it starts to sputter... more like 1 - 1.5 gallons. I dump the excess in a pump sprayer to finish. It's always extra effort to keep an eye on the spray to identify when it starts to sputter.

JeffK
Grass Type: Tall Fescue

Post by JeffK » June 1st, 2012, 6:34 pm

I recommend doing hills & rough areas first, and then the flat or smooth areas.