Earthway S15 Sprayer Review

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
Ohio2112
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Earthway S15 Sprayer Review

Post by Ohio2112 » August 18th, 2012, 1:21 pm

I use mine at least weekly. I still think it is a thousand times better than a backpack. I used a big plastic tie to make sure the pump stays in place. It's a small workaround that's more than worth it. It's the best lawn & garden tool I own. For homeowner use I can't imagine spending more than 3x more for a S25.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Michael Wise
Grass Type: Tifway 419

Post by Michael Wise » August 18th, 2012, 1:55 pm

I really like mine, too. I don't dread spraying Primo over a 1/2 acre with it.

There are some things I think would be improved, but it does make life easier.

My goal is the spreader mate, but this is a much cheaper alternative that gets the job done.

I feel pretty damn accurate with the thing, too. Always helps to feel good about your spray at the end of the day.

Ware
Grass Type: Bermuda

Post by Ware » August 24th, 2012, 7:44 pm

Update:

I received my replacement from Amazon. This one doesn't appear to be used; however, it has a rip in the cushion on the OTHER side of the handle. This is getting ridiculous. Does the Earthway guy still visit this thread? Perhaps they should reconsider their packaging design. I have a hard time accepting a $250 sprayer that is damaged right out of the box.
Last edited by Ware on August 24th, 2012, 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lawndog
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Midnight II, Moonlight & Prosperity), Back: Blueberry KBG

Post by Lawndog » August 24th, 2012, 8:34 pm

Send it back again. It took three tries for me on Amazon as well although the issues I had and still have is the pump design. Two failed right out of the box after first use. The third one now, has wire ties to hold it from moving.

Bavaria
Grass Type: K-31/ kbg

Post by Bavaria » August 24th, 2012, 8:55 pm

I'm starting to really wonder about Earthway the quality is starting to slip. JG had a problem with his new 2150. Now this thread is getting off course with questionable and serious problems. I liked the idea of taking the load off your back but I won't be buying one until something changes for the better. This company is obviously allowing poor workmanship thru to the customer. I don't think you can blame Amazon, but with so may returns you would think they would start checking this stuff before it goes out the door.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » August 24th, 2012, 9:00 pm

The thread's not off course, so don't worry about that. All of these things should be evaluated by somebody wanting to buy one!

Bavaria

Post by Bavaria » August 25th, 2012, 10:26 am

I guess i'm jumping the ship here Morp. I was hoping more positive reviews I actually had real interest in this product because of price since I blew up the budget on my new spiker spreader. I will give it time maybe they will get it straightened out. Next year.

simpson
Grass Type: moonlight slt

Post by simpson » August 25th, 2012, 10:28 am

I have a small lawn and I even want one

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Bavaria

Post by Bavaria » August 25th, 2012, 10:37 am

It's cool, another tool for the junkie. Plus my back thanks me. (Too many clutch jobs). ;)

Bavaria

Post by Bavaria » August 25th, 2012, 5:02 pm

Ware wrote:Update:

I received my replacement from Amazon. This one doesn't appear to be used; however, it has a rip in the cushion on the OTHER side of the handle. This is getting ridiculous. Does the Earthway guy still visit this thread? Perhaps they should reconsider their packaging design. I have a hard time accepting a $250 sprayer that is damaged right out of the box.
I sent a e mail to sales and tech. support they said they would come back on the thread and give feedback.
I want to buy one but I'll wait.

Ware

Post by Ware » August 25th, 2012, 9:02 pm

Bavaria wrote:I sent a e mail to sales and tech. support they said they would come back on the thread and give feedback.
I want to buy one but I'll wait.
Thanks! I'm dying to try this thing out, but I've received two of them now with a nearly identical gash in the cushion on the handle (opposite sides). The location is near the corner, where the base of my palm meets the grip. I really want the S15 to serve my needs, but I need one to arrive in a condition that meets or exceeds the price I paid for it. I think that is a reasonable expectation.

The Amazon exchange process was seamless. I filed the return online last Saturday. UPS picked up the return on Monday. I received the replacement on Tuesday (Amazon Prime). The problem is I'm traveling Monday through Friday for work, so I didn't get to open the new one until Friday evening - so I basically lose a week each time this happens. My goal was to get this thing calibrated and get comfortable with it before it's time to put down Barricade again, but I'm starting to wonder if I should refocus my effort on something else, like a boom wand for my backpack. Hell, for $250 I could probably get into one of those ShurFlo electric backpacks.

JeffK
Grass Type: Tall Fescue

Post by JeffK » August 27th, 2012, 2:58 pm

S15 owners and potential owners,
Regarding the issues that I have reviewed within this recent thread - it seems that the pump and the grip are the primary issues. I can deal with both pretty easily. The grip - if you are handy at all I can send you a replacement of the foam grip and you could slide it on (you will have to rip the old one off and then spray the handle with Windex to make the foam grip slippery) to replace the damaged one - to avoid the hassle of returning it to Amazon. If you broke the gearbox and or the gearbox brace we can send you a new gearbox/pump/brace assembly to solve that issue. It is best to contact us directly - sales@earthway.com or you can email me directly at jkendall@earthway.com and I am happy to solve any of the issues that you have with any EarthWay product.
Jeff Kendall
Vice President
Earthway Products

paulr
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Post by paulr » August 27th, 2012, 3:53 pm

Thank you Jeff very much for taking the time to reply to this thread, it is very much appreciated. I've seen in the past many times it can be a mine-field for Owners/CEO's etc. to reply in message boards to individual customer concerns.

Anyways, the customer service looks great, I've had great luck with my Even-Spred 2550(?) so far as it's better than anything out there from the box stores. I plan on purchasing the S-15 or S-25 in the next week. Probably the S25. If there's anything that is prone to breaking, I will break it, I've got that magic touch. Last thing I want to do is review all the differences in the models besides tank size to make my decision, not sure if they were all mentioned here, will have to go look. I can also make the sprayer a tax write-off, lol, that helps a little bit!!

Paul
:ugeek:

JeffK

Post by JeffK » August 27th, 2012, 4:05 pm

Paul,
Thanks for the comments - you might have our 2050 if it has 10" plastic wheels. If you plan to use the sprayer regularly - I have both units which I loan out to my neighbors to use and comment, and so far they have been operating great, the S25 is designed for daily use, where the S15 is designed for once a week use. My demo/test bed S15 has over 100 hours in 2 years, and the S25 has 400+ documented hours over the past 3 years in 4 season use - both units are running well.
Whe you are considering which unit to buy, something to keep in mind is that the S25 uses a "similar" pump to the one on the S15. Similar in design and exactly the same physical size, but the S25 can be recalibrated for volume & pressure where the S15 cannot. If you have any specific questions feel free to contact me thru our web site too.
Jeff

Bavaria

Post by Bavaria » August 27th, 2012, 8:35 pm

So the S25 has the same pump issues?

JeffK

Post by JeffK » August 27th, 2012, 8:56 pm

No. It uses a similar pump but a completely different design to secure the gearbox to the unit. To simplify the issues related in this thread, the weakness was in the gearbox to gearbox brace connection - the wall thickness was not enough to hold the initial torque on the S15 pump causing the brace to fail resulting in the spinning of the assembly. If you are interested, I can email you photos of the different setups.
Jeff

Lawndog
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Midnight II, Moonlight & Prosperity), Back: Blueberry KBG

Post by Lawndog » August 27th, 2012, 10:11 pm

Jeff, has there been an upgraded design for the S15? I'm on my third one and the first two broke immediately. I have wire ties holding the pump to the frame as of now but it looks cheesy for an expensive product.

I know as soon as I remove the ties, the third one will probably break. If there is a new, better design, I'm interested in the upgrade.

JeffK

Post by JeffK » August 28th, 2012, 7:11 am

Lawndog, yes the gearbox and brace attachment has been upgraded and an additional screw has been added along with increasing the wall thickness. You mention that you are on your "third one" - were they new S15's or replacement gearbox assemblies?
Jeff

Ware

Post by Ware » August 28th, 2012, 10:51 am

JeffK: Thank you for being so responsive. I should have waited and had you send me a replacement foam grip for the second S15 Amazon sent me. I suspected it was an easy fix, but I had to make a quick decision while I was home over the weekend. And I knew Amazon would have a replacement to me before I get home this week.

The first one I received was obviously a returned unit. The box had been re-taped and there was residual liquid in the tank/lines. The second one looked good, with the exception that it also had a 2-3" rip in the cushion grip. I understand it's not an issue that affects performance, but it's just a little irritating to receive a product that is damaged before I ever get a chance to use it (damage it myself). And to receive two units with similar damage made it even worse. My replacement is coming from Amazon this week. Unfortunately, I won't be able to check it out until I get home on Friday. If there are any issues, I will contact you directly.

Thanks again. I certainly appreciate your personal approach to customer service. :good:

JeffK

Post by JeffK » August 28th, 2012, 11:12 am

Ware,
No problem - just let me know. Because the S15 handle has some weight on it while in the carton, it will get a flat spot in the foam grip which after a few hours usually comes out.
You shouldn't have received a used replacement and I will look into that, but each unit is tested before it leaves our plant and there will be a small (about a cup) amount of liquid in the tank and lines. This is to prevent initial use wear of the pump.
JeffK