Lawn Forums

This is the place to discuss issues not related to lawn and gardening
Post Reply
KBGkicksazz
Posts: 520
Joined: April 19th, 2018, 5:12 pm
Location: S. New Hampshire
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Lawn Forums

Post by KBGkicksazz » July 23rd, 2020, 9:12 am

Full disclosure: I was one of the original members back in the day when people jumped from GardenWeb and started joining Bestlawn. Then after stints overseas and moving a few times I settled down again and got back into the lawn hobby. I don’t recall what my old user name was and obviously had used an old junk email address so alas I created a new username and started over.

All that said, I’m on a Facebook page for lawn hobbyists and it always makes me appreciate ATY which is more evidence based and willing to get into the small details.

So many times you tell people the exact answer and then they want to ignore it and fall back onto improper “common knowledge”

I have a neighbor who thinks he’s some genius and has a big ego. I’m an introvert and stick to myself and despite an issue with fungus I got my lawn turned around and in the heat of July my lawn is on its way back being thick and green. His is a weed patch. He still likes to tell me how I should maintain my lawn :roll:

This forum has died a lot but just want to know for us old timers I appreciate this site as lawn care is a hobby I truly enjoy.

Image

schreibdave
Posts: 1092
Joined: April 14th, 2010, 7:01 pm
Location: Syracuse, NY
Grass Type: Bewitched, Award and Rhapsody on 3 sides, PR in back
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: Lawn Forums

Post by schreibdave » July 23rd, 2020, 12:28 pm

I have been the resident lawn nut in each of the 5 neighborhoods that I have lived in. And my lawn is always the nicest. Everything I know about lawns I learned here.

It is amazing how many neighbors will look at a beautiful lawn, ask the owner for advice and then go to the hardware store and be persuaded by the kid working there to do something else. I have had many neighbors ask me for advice but I don't know that any of that advice has ever survived a trip to True Value Hardware. When that happens I like to ask the neighbor "so what does the hardware store kid's lawn look like?" Of course they have no idea but they take his advice over mine.

schreibdave
Posts: 1092
Joined: April 14th, 2010, 7:01 pm
Location: Syracuse, NY
Grass Type: Bewitched, Award and Rhapsody on 3 sides, PR in back
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: Lawn Forums

Post by schreibdave » July 23rd, 2020, 12:34 pm

My profile says that I joined in 2010. I remember somebody inviting me here from Garden Web but I don't remember who and I don't remember how far along this site was when I joined. I do remember Bestlawn (the person) encouraging me to do a renovation and I remember thinking "you want me to kill off my lawn?? ARE YOU NUTS!!??"

Do the mods have any way of identifying members by length of membership?

User avatar
andy10917
Posts: 28808
Joined: February 23rd, 2009, 10:48 pm
Location: NY (Lower Hudson Valley)
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Lawn Forums

Post by andy10917 » July 23rd, 2020, 12:42 pm

Yes. What do you want to know?

User avatar
ken-n-nancy
Posts: 2352
Joined: July 17th, 2014, 3:58 pm
Location: Bedford, NH
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: Lawn Forums

Post by ken-n-nancy » July 23rd, 2020, 12:48 pm

Hey, KBGkicksazz -- nice posting for #500 on the site with the new username.

I agree with you.

I also irregularly read some other lawn pages on the Internet, too. I fully agree with you that one of the unique things about this place is that there are enough of the highly experienced folks on the site, as compared to the number of new lawn care enthusiasts, that the advice which is shared here has a high quality with an excellent "signal to noise ratio."

In too many other places, a new member asks for advice, and then receives a half-dozen well-intentioned, but oftentimes not very knowledgeable replies which often contain misinformation or even bad advice. It's hard for the new member to know what advice to believe (and which to ignore) as they're just learning and don't know how to separate the wheat from the chaff. I'm thankful that rarely happens here.

I just want to echo your thanks to the long-time folks here for having stuck with the questions from us newer members and helping us out!


User avatar
ken-n-nancy
Posts: 2352
Joined: July 17th, 2014, 3:58 pm
Location: Bedford, NH
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: Lawn Forums

Post by ken-n-nancy » July 23rd, 2020, 1:02 pm

schreibdave wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 12:34 pm
Do the mods have any way of identifying members by length of membership?
Do you by any chance read the site primarily on your phone?

Sometimes I forget not everybody reads this forum using the "desktop version" of the site. In the "poster info" section of each posting on the desktop version of the site, a little field appears saying "Joined: <date>" -- even for non-moderator users.

For example, for me, this says "July 17th, 2014, 3:58pm" and for you, "April 14th, 2010, 7:01 pm."

I'm still waiting to see if it ever says "older than dirt" for any of the real old-timers... ;)

User avatar
turf_toes
Posts: 5620
Joined: December 17th, 2008, 8:46 pm
Location: Central NJ
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Lawn Forums

Post by turf_toes » July 23rd, 2020, 1:07 pm

KBGkicksazz wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 9:12 am
Full disclosure: I was one of the original members back in the day when people jumped from GardenWeb and started joining Bestlawn. Then after stints overseas and moving a few times I settled down again and got back into the lawn hobby. I don’t recall what my old user name was and obviously had used an old junk email address so alas I created a new username and started over.

All that said, I’m on a Facebook page for lawn hobbyists and it always makes me appreciate ATY which is more evidence based and willing to get into the small details.

So many times you tell people the exact answer and then they want to ignore it and fall back onto improper “common knowledge”

I have a neighbor who thinks he’s some genius and has a big ego. I’m an introvert and stick to myself and despite an issue with fungus I got my lawn turned around and in the heat of July my lawn is on its way back being thick and green. His is a weed patch. He still likes to tell me how I should maintain my lawn :roll:

This forum has died a lot but just want to know for us old timers I appreciate this site as lawn care is a hobby I truly enjoy.

Image
What account were you using originally? This one says you joined in 2018. Just curious.

User avatar
turf_toes
Posts: 5620
Joined: December 17th, 2008, 8:46 pm
Location: Central NJ
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Lawn Forums

Post by turf_toes » July 23rd, 2020, 1:11 pm

FWIW, overall traffic to the site is roughly the same.

What has changed is we had a handful of members who created scores of sock puppet accounts. They were posting from all of them. At its worst, we had threads where multiple sock puppet accounts were all attacking one legit user.

We’ve cleaned a lot of that up. The trolls and sock puppets... went elsewhere.

User avatar
andy10917
Posts: 28808
Joined: February 23rd, 2009, 10:48 pm
Location: NY (Lower Hudson Valley)
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Lawn Forums

Post by andy10917 » July 23rd, 2020, 1:17 pm

Some of us go back to having traded postings way before ATY existed. If "dirt" is the inception of ATY, then we definitely are older than dirt.

I, for one, am a laptop person. I only use the mobile version for times when I'm away from my laptop for an extended time. What I do for a living requires much screen "real estate" and I often run numerous monitors. I feel constricted by mobile screens.

Most member screens do not include the designations of "BC" and "AD" dates.

User avatar
andy10917
Posts: 28808
Joined: February 23rd, 2009, 10:48 pm
Location: NY (Lower Hudson Valley)
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Lawn Forums

Post by andy10917 » July 23rd, 2020, 1:20 pm

OMG!! TT double-posted !! "Cleanup in Aisle 7". I'm going to leave it there to mark the day it happened.

KBGkicksazz
Posts: 520
Joined: April 19th, 2018, 5:12 pm
Location: S. New Hampshire
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Re: Lawn Forums

Post by KBGkicksazz » July 23rd, 2020, 1:56 pm

turf_toes wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 1:07 pm
KBGkicksazz wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 9:12 am
Full disclosure: I was one of the original members back in the day when people jumped from GardenWeb and started joining Bestlawn. Then after stints overseas and moving a few times I settled down again and got back into the lawn hobby. I don’t recall what my old user name was and obviously had used an old junk email address so alas I created a new username and started over.

All that said, I’m on a Facebook page for lawn hobbyists and it always makes me appreciate ATY which is more evidence based and willing to get into the small details.

So many times you tell people the exact answer and then they want to ignore it and fall back onto improper “common knowledge”

I have a neighbor who thinks he’s some genius and has a big ego. I’m an introvert and stick to myself and despite an issue with fungus I got my lawn turned around and in the heat of July my lawn is on its way back being thick and green. His is a weed patch. He still likes to tell me how I should maintain my lawn :roll:

This forum has died a lot but just want to know for us old timers I appreciate this site as lawn care is a hobby I truly enjoy.

Image
What account were you using originally? This one says you joined in 2018. Just curious.
I’ll have to try and see if I can remember I had made up some non typical username. I’ve been here since the early days but with breaks of various lengths.

Other sites are just hard to read.

I mentioned on the Facebook page about using mesiotrone post seeding at half dose two weeks post KBG seed down which I’ve personally done and was summarily told it would kill the germinating grass. No room for listening just flat out tone deaf.
KBG often time isn’t even popping up that much at 10-14 days but what do I know...

Or, everything in the lawn is heat stress despite it have hallmark signs of fairy ring. Numerous people telling the OP raise the deck height as it was supposedly mower scalping it.

Using junk seed but told it doesn’t matter. On and on.

I’m on a Mustang forum that like ATY that has literally 20 years of posts and awesome info saved but it’s also dead as everyone went to Facebook. I like forums better for these kind of hobby topics but I Guess I’m now one of those old people

User avatar
MorpheusPA
Posts: 16193
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 7:32 pm
Location: Zone 6 (Eastern PA)
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: Lawn Forums

Post by MorpheusPA » July 23rd, 2020, 3:31 pm

Older than dirt?

What's a cell phone? I didn't realize we could now imprint a rotary dial into a single cell organism nowadays.

User avatar
turf_toes
Posts: 5620
Joined: December 17th, 2008, 8:46 pm
Location: Central NJ
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Lawn Forums

Post by turf_toes » July 23rd, 2020, 4:57 pm

KBGkicksazz wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 1:56 pm
turf_toes wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 1:07 pm
KBGkicksazz wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 9:12 am
Full disclosure: I was one of the original members back in the day when people jumped from GardenWeb and started joining Bestlawn. Then after stints overseas and moving a few times I settled down again and got back into the lawn hobby. I don’t recall what my old user name was and obviously had used an old junk email address so alas I created a new username and started over.

All that said, I’m on a Facebook page for lawn hobbyists and it always makes me appreciate ATY which is more evidence based and willing to get into the small details.

So many times you tell people the exact answer and then they want to ignore it and fall back onto improper “common knowledge”

I have a neighbor who thinks he’s some genius and has a big ego. I’m an introvert and stick to myself and despite an issue with fungus I got my lawn turned around and in the heat of July my lawn is on its way back being thick and green. His is a weed patch. He still likes to tell me how I should maintain my lawn :roll:

This forum has died a lot but just want to know for us old timers I appreciate this site as lawn care is a hobby I truly enjoy.

Image
What account were you using originally? This one says you joined in 2018. Just curious.
I’ll have to try and see if I can remember I had made up some non typical username. I’ve been here since the early days but with breaks of various lengths.

Other sites are just hard to read.

I mentioned on the Facebook page about using mesiotrone post seeding at half dose two weeks post KBG seed down which I’ve personally done and was summarily told it would kill the germinating grass. No room for listening just flat out tone deaf.
KBG often time isn’t even popping up that much at 10-14 days but what do I know...

Or, everything in the lawn is heat stress despite it have hallmark signs of fairy ring. Numerous people telling the OP raise the deck height as it was supposedly mower scalping it.

Using junk seed but told it doesn’t matter. On and on.

I’m on a Mustang forum that like ATY that has literally 20 years of posts and awesome info saved but it’s also dead as everyone went to Facebook. I like forums better for these kind of hobby topics but I Guess I’m now one of those old people
We’re doing nearly 2 million page views a month. I wouldn’t call that dead.

As I said, a lot of the formerly active users were actually sock puppets. Losing those fake posts isn’t a loss.

schreibdave
Posts: 1092
Joined: April 14th, 2010, 7:01 pm
Location: Syracuse, NY
Grass Type: Bewitched, Award and Rhapsody on 3 sides, PR in back
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: Lawn Forums

Post by schreibdave » July 23rd, 2020, 6:29 pm

andy10917 wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 12:42 pm
Yes. What do you want to know?
How about ... of currently active members, where am i on the seniority list?

schreibdave
Posts: 1092
Joined: April 14th, 2010, 7:01 pm
Location: Syracuse, NY
Grass Type: Bewitched, Award and Rhapsody on 3 sides, PR in back
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: Lawn Forums

Post by schreibdave » July 23rd, 2020, 6:32 pm

turf_toes wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 1:11 pm
FWIW, overall traffic to the site is roughly the same.

What has changed is we had a handful of members who created scores of sock puppet accounts. They were posting from all of them. At its worst, we had threads where multiple sock puppet accounts were all attacking one legit user.

We’ve cleaned a lot of that up. The trolls and sock puppets... went elsewhere.
Boy, some people have a lot of time on their hands.

bpgreen
Posts: 3528
Joined: January 3rd, 2009, 2:28 am
Location: Utah (Wasatch Front)
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Re: Lawn Forums

Post by bpgreen » July 23rd, 2020, 10:04 pm

As an fyi, if you're on mobile, you can see the member info by turning the phone or tablet sideways.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest