Artists?

This is the place to discuss issues not related to lawn and gardening
MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: Artists?

Post by MorpheusPA » November 23rd, 2020, 8:43 pm

:-) I know what I did, but I don't expect anybody else to notice. Half the time, I spend 3 hours creating a series of tones in a leaf to over-enhance a fold only to have somebody say, "Oh. You painted a leaf."

Uh. Yeah. :-)

I'm finishing out the little 2x2 canvases and I'll get back to the big stuff shortly. I'm just a bit delayed.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » November 25th, 2020, 5:30 pm

The last of these were fun. I can't say I'm thrilled with the morning glory or a few others, but the truncated hibiscus (it never needed the stamen to complete it) and a few others worked out extremely well. It's now thirty ornaments with some spares, a few repainted, and a number of canvases leftover. Plus a couple larger ones that are palm-sized.

I practically destroyed a set of tiny brushes. So I can say the Creative Mark miniature brushes? Not durable. Definitely not up to the Silver Brush Company standard that I've become used to, but Silver Brush doesn't make a set of 20/0 filbert, flat, script, and dagger brushes, either.

pristinegreen75
Grass Type: Bluegrass in back, Northern mix in front
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

Post by pristinegreen75 » November 25th, 2020, 9:24 pm

Really cute Morph. The ants my even think Bob Ross sent them a present:) (loved his Afro)

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » November 25th, 2020, 11:36 pm

Fun fact: he hated that afro, but it had become a company trademark (and still is to this day although there's a shady little company history if you like a bit of dirt). Company directors wouldn't allow him to change it even long after it had gone out of style.

Just because of what they did to his son, I won't purchase the paints or brushes (although they're fairly good) and tend to do business with Liquitex and Golden for paint, and Silver Brush for brushes instead. Technically, both are higher quality anyway, though, and I probably would have settled there anyway--but I bounced through Joe Miller's American Journey line instead of Bob Ross first. :-) I still use some AJ, it's good stuff.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » November 27th, 2020, 4:51 pm

The Art Bits were a Bit of a failure; they do hang on the tree OK, but they're a little hard to see from three feet away and have to be surrounded by lights. They do better when placed around the house in compatible color regimes where they're fun and surprising.

And...'Tis the Season for Holiday Kitsch. I've got several on the way yet, but here are a couple to keep you warm (like most of us need it?) for the next little while.

Huh. The fireplace one seems a little blurry. I'll have to retake the image.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » December 24th, 2020, 10:23 pm

I've been busy. Like, really, really busy.

Here's two. I've painted four poinsettia (they photograph horribly because of all the reds, pale oranges, and slightly-deeper-reds), and four of the bough patterns (kind of a blow-off, really). Tiny seascapes. Three snowman copies, two of the fireplace, one gigantic desert scene (not photographed yet, but will be as it's staying here), and an icy winter scene. Here's a bough pattern (you see one, you've seen them all, really) and the winter scene.

I can now crack walnuts with my right hand.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » January 12th, 2021, 3:47 pm

I've been working on watercolors (I've always puttered but never done serious work with it, this time, I'm now doing the work and lessons) Nothing much to show there yet as it's not good.

We play a very complex game online and in it, I have a familiar named Quoth. The Raven. Who is, in a complicated story-line, a tiny Infernal I got saddled with from my family's distant ancestor. Hence the tiny little evil glow and fiery bindings on the wings. We're currently in the frozen north, so hence the icy landscape and twilight...

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » February 9th, 2021, 4:38 pm

It's been a while. The first photo is not great, the original looks much better. The blues somehow grayed out, the camera can't see the dynamic range of the painting (it does go from 99% white to 0% black, though), and little I can do will rescue that. The second is simply a much more basic winter image I did for fun and nothing else; it's a monochrome in Payne's gray and white, and not meant to be highly detailed or complicated.