My fastest Olympic triathlon ever

This is the place to discuss issues not related to lawn and gardening
bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

My fastest Olympic triathlon ever

Post by bpgreen » September 11th, 2021, 10:47 pm

I've done 4 sprint triathlons, but did my first olympic distance today.

So I had my fastest olympic distance triathlon, ever. Also, my slowest ever.

I was having trouble getting my wetsuit on and didn'k know why, when my neighbor (who finished about a half hour before I did) pointed out that it was inside out. He was nice enough to hold my goggles, fitness watch, and swim cap while I took it off, turned it rightside in, and started to put it on again. He then pointed out that I was putting it on backwards. Oops.

Prerace jitters, I guess.

I finished, which was my main goal. They haven't posted results, so I don't know how well I did in comparison with the whole group.

I was happy with my swim. If it was really 1500m, I'm really happy with it.

I was hoping to be faster on the bike, but it was super hot for a long time this summer, and then we had lots of smoke from wildfires in Oregon and California, so I haven't been biking much.

I've only run one 10k (maybe ever). That was two weeks ago and was my first exercise of the day, not following a 1500 m swim and 40 km bike ride. I ended up walking for short stretches of it today.

The headwind, rain, sleet, and hail that kicked in about halfway through the bike ride and continued off and on for the rest of the race didn't help my bike ride, but probably didn't hurt my "run" time.

Now I've got another goal for my next olympic tri (I want to beat this one).

If I ever get to the point where I can run 13.1 miles, I may attempt a 70.3 (aka half ironman), but I doubt if I'll do more than one of those.

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both

Re: My fastest Olympic triathlon ever

Post by bpgreen » September 13th, 2021, 10:36 pm

The results were finally posted. I came in first in my age group.

It turns out that there are two ways to win your age group. You can be fast, or you can be old enough that there isn't much competition. I finished near the bottom overall (116 out of 130). But I beat the only other guy in my age group by slightly less than a minute and a half (for a three and a half hour race).

https://runsignup.com/Race/Results/1184 ... #U52532499

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » September 14th, 2021, 8:54 am

I did that once in a wrestling competition at the age of 17. Turns out when you're five foot nine and seventeen, there aren't too many other 105-pound male wrestlers.

Easy-peasy.

bpgreen

Post by bpgreen » October 2nd, 2021, 10:37 pm

I was in another triathlon this morning. After it was over, I saw somebody who recognized me from lining up for the swim. He told me that the swim distance in that race was not 1500 meters, but 1900 meters.

So I'm REALLY happy with my swim time.

I came in first for my division again, today. But this time, I didn't need to beat anybody. I was the only man in my age group.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by turf_toes » October 3rd, 2021, 11:47 am

Excellent

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » October 3rd, 2021, 3:31 pm

Extraordinary! With my knee, my time would be measured in days. :-)