Dry Pour Concrete

This is the place to discuss issues not related to lawn and gardening
Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

Dry Pour Concrete

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » March 3rd, 2023, 3:59 pm

Has anyone here "poured" a concrete slab using the dry pour method?

In a nutshell, they
  1. set the form,
  2. fill it with dry ready-mix concrete,
  3. screed the top surface
  4. round the edges with a normal rounding tool,
  5. roll the surface with a dry paint roller to even the surface,
  6. mist the surface with water and let it set for an hour,
  7. mist the surface again a little longer aiming to create a firm surface crust
  8. drench the surface with a mild spray to moisten the dry stuff below
  9. cover and allow to cure.
If you've never done concrete work, the benefits are that you don't have to hurry before the concrete sets to get a surface set and get all the tools clean. Also, you don't need to guess at how much water you need or premix in a tumbler or wheelbarrow. Cleanup does not involve pouring a bit of concrete somewhere you probably don't want it anyway.

I've had concrete in the bag go hard on me sitting on a concrete floor in the garage, so I know the method will give you hard concrete. Just wondering if anyone has played with it?

flyin-lowe
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 2 acre-5 acre
Level: Some Experience

Re: Dry Pour Concrete

Post by flyin-lowe » April 29th, 2023, 7:34 am

I was thinking the same thing. I had never heard of this until this week. I am planning to pour a small slab under my pool deck for my pump and sand filter to sit on. Like 4'x4'. I called a friend of mine who does concrete work as a side job and he said he has never done a slab that way but has used dry mix to set fence post. He said he has had to dig them back up before and the concrete that was put in dry always seemed to crumble easier. I know it's not apples to apples compared to a slab and he didn't think it would hold up as well..