Good bbq grill that won't rust out

This is the place to discuss issues not related to lawn and gardening
John_in_SC
Grass Type: Miscellaneous warm season
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Good bbq grill that won't rust out

Post by John_in_SC » April 25th, 2014, 10:17 am

Just to put a bit of a bug in your ear...

Part of the deal you are running into is just the nature of the beast....
The burners and internal grates are going to rust out over time... Blood, salty meat juices, and acidic marinades/toppings really put a massive beating on basically any type of metal out there.. Then, add Fire to put the icing on the cake as it changes the crystal structure of the underlying metal....

Then, add the Humidity of the east coast into the mix.... Sure - if you lived out in Arizona or New Mexico - the humidity is so low that nothing rusts.... but you don't live there.... You live somewhere it's swampy...

You are going to run into these issues with most any metal out there up into the most expensive super-duplex Stainless steels out there...

What I would do is....

Pick the grill that makes you happiest...
It's gotta cook evenly, turn down efficiently, produce enough heat, control flare ups, and have enough room for all the food you want to cook.... Then... just replace grates and burners as needed... They aren't that expensive.

Thanks

texasweed

Post by texasweed » April 25th, 2014, 7:40 pm

John_in_SC wrote:Part of the deal you are running into is just the nature of the beast....
The burners and internal grates are going to rust out over time... Blood, salty meat juices, and acidic marinades/toppings really put a massive beating on basically any type of metal out there.. Then, add Fire to put the icing on the cake as it changes the crystal structure of the underlying metal...
Think Ceramic and bricks like a Big Green Egg.

bernstem
Grass Type: Front: Solar Eclipse/Award/Bewitched/Moonlight SLT/Prosperity Back: Solar Eclipse Monostand + Bewitched (shade)

Post by bernstem » April 27th, 2014, 12:59 pm

On any grill grates and burners are maintenance items. Fortunately, they aren't expensive.

kevreh
Grass Type: Front Yard: 2013 TTTF reno (faith, cochise, turbo, ls1200), Back: 2013 KBG reno (bewitched, midnight, prosperity)

Post by kevreh » April 27th, 2014, 4:05 pm

John_in_SC wrote:
You are going to run into these issues with most any metal out there up into the most expensive super-duplex Stainless steels out there...

What I would do is....

Pick the grill that makes you happiest...
It's gotta cook evenly, turn down efficiently, produce enough heat, control flare ups, and have enough room for all the food you want to cook.... Then... just replace grates and burners as needed... They aren't that expensive.

Thanks
Good points with harsh cooking environment and the moisture out here.

BUT...... If my research is correct , and the weber genesis bodies are solid aluminium......then they cant rust??! As far as I know, aluminium doesnt rust.

Either way, funds have been secured and a weber genesis with sear station, is in my immediate future.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

StayOffMyLawn
Grass Type: Some Northern Mix

Post by StayOffMyLawn » May 8th, 2014, 6:20 pm

I have a Weber Genesis with a sear burner, works great, and I figure I'll get many years out of it.
Looks great too.

kevreh
Grass Type: Front Yard: 2013 TTTF reno (faith, cochise, turbo, ls1200), Back: 2013 KBG reno (bewitched, midnight, prosperity)

Post by kevreh » May 8th, 2014, 8:46 pm

Can't wait, just ordered that same Genesis. Model 330. So look forward to having a grill more than a few years. Then again never spent this much money on one, lol.

tlinden
Grass Type: Bewitched, Blue Velvet, Prosperity

Post by tlinden » May 11th, 2014, 8:53 pm

kevreh wrote:Good to know, all roads still lead to weber. They have the $399 spirit line and $699+ Genesis line. Think I'll save for the Genesis.

BTW, bought a kamodo style grill (aka green egg) last year and love it. It's the Char-Griller Kamado grill. Just not a weeknight-quick-grill kind of grill. Takes longer to start up.
I just bought a Genesis with the stainless steel cooking grates. WOW what a huge difference
in cooking with this thing. It's like buying cheep grass seed vs quality!

kevreh

Post by kevreh » May 12th, 2014, 8:57 am

Glad to hear it! I actually ordered the 330 thats black on the outside with the iron grates. Would have preferred stainless steel but I can add those later. Do you use the sear station much? What grill did you have before?

tlinden
Grass Type: Bewitched, Blue Velvet, Prosperity

Post by tlinden » May 13th, 2014, 8:39 am

I had a grill that looks about 20 years old. Some fancy brand given to me from a special order type shop. Its just too small for my growing family - we're up to 4 kids now!

I didnt get a sear station or side burner as ive never had em before so didnt want them. It seared my t bone steak just fine without!!

kevreh

Post by kevreh » May 13th, 2014, 2:49 pm

Well, she's arrived and a beauty at that! (the Genesis 330). Tested it with a flat iron steak for tacos. Very nice searing action, nice grill marks too to get the crispiness. This thing is a beast and puts out enough heat without the sear station (600+ degrees!!!).

Check out this cool kabob accessory; http://www.weber.com/weber-nation/blog/tiers-of-joy

StayOffMyLawn
Grass Type: Some Northern Mix

Post by StayOffMyLawn » May 21st, 2014, 8:55 am

E-330 is a nice looking, heavy grill, that can crank out the heat.
Hoping mine lasts years!

kevreh

Post by kevreh » May 22nd, 2014, 8:28 am

From what I hear it will. Internal parts may need replacement but the body should be fine.

Sear station is nice, but overkill for everything but those really thick cuts.

Othertime
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG

Post by Othertime » May 22nd, 2014, 2:20 pm

A costco grill and their return policy.

kevreh

Post by kevreh » July 13th, 2014, 2:26 pm

Going on 2months with my 330. Love this grill. Feel like I'm cooking with a comercial grill or something. The enamel cast iron grates are very nice for searing and no signs of rust. Guess the enamel is a step up vs just cast iron.

The extra sear burner is good for searing things like steak and burgers. Don't use it all the time though.

As far as I can tell the temperature is pretty consistant accross the grates, something you dont get with a cheaper grill.

Only thing I'm not sure about is sometimes the flames are more orange, not sure what that means.

McLovin
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Novice

Post by McLovin » July 23rd, 2014, 8:49 am

My Weber propane grill is going on 20 years old now. I bought it with cast iron grates that still work as good as new (i have done electrolytic cleaning on the cast iron grates a couple of times to get them back to brand new condition), and one new burner about 4 or 5 years ago and SS flavorizer bars about 10 years ago. Still a great grill though, I hope yours works great for you too.

kevreh

Post by kevreh » July 23rd, 2014, 6:17 pm

McLovin wrote:My Weber propane grill is going on 20 years old now. I bought it with cast iron grates that still work as good as new (i have done electrolytic cleaning on the cast iron grates a couple of times to get them back to brand new condition), and one new burner about 4 or 5 years ago and SS flavorizer bars about 10 years ago. Still a great grill though, I hope yours works great for you too.
I cant say that e-l-e-c tro whatever word so it must be good! How is that done?

JustAGuy
Grass Type: NoMix

Post by JustAGuy » July 24th, 2014, 6:12 am

kevreh wrote:
McLovin wrote:My Weber propane grill is going on 20 years old now. I bought it with cast iron grates that still work as good as new (i have done electrolytic cleaning on the cast iron grates a couple of times to get them back to brand new condition), and one new burner about 4 or 5 years ago and SS flavorizer bars about 10 years ago. Still a great grill though, I hope yours works great for you too.
I cant say that e-l-e-c tro whatever word so it must be good! How is that done?

Here is a Youtube video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XlsNucmbiE

Alan
Grass Type: St. Aug, but converting to Bermuda

Post by Alan » July 24th, 2014, 7:04 am

Cool video. I felt like I was in a High School science class. Some of the comments left by readers were interesting.

Thanks for posting that link.

kevreh

Post by kevreh » July 24th, 2014, 8:40 am

Alan wrote:Cool video. I felt like I was in a High School science class. Some of the comments left by readers were interesting.

Thanks for posting that link.
Not having a battery charger like the one in the video, I would try the method of putting it in a fire or oven set to clean.

The iron grates with enamel that come with the weber grills seems to be a lot better than just iron grates. Weber says you dont have to season them (I did anyways). Easy to clean and a little oil prevents sticking.

McLovin
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Novice

Post by McLovin » July 28th, 2014, 7:58 am

I don't know about the enameled grates but the cast iron ones are great for me. Once they are seasoned they are pretty much non-stick and leave the nice grill marks on the food.

Google cast iron electrolytic restoration and you will see a ton of different methods. We have a lot of cast iron cooking stuff so every few years I set up my contraption and do a bunch at one time, or if a family member wants something restored after my wife tells them I know how to do it. :banghead: