Good bbq grill that won't rust out

This is the place to discuss issues not related to lawn and gardening
kevreh
Grass Type: Front Yard: 2013 TTTF reno (faith, cochise, turbo, ls1200), Back: 2013 KBG reno (bewitched, midnight, prosperity)
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Good bbq grill that won't rust out

Post by kevreh » April 21st, 2014, 6:03 pm

I've been in a pattern where I seem to go through a decent ($300-400 range) propane grill every 4 or 5 years. Often times its the inside that goes to crap. They basically rust and start falling apart from the inside. My current grill is a Charbroil Infrared that looks pretty nice on the outside because its SS (stainless steel). The interior is cast enamel (shiney black paint) and rusting out.

Now, I have to admit... :roll: ...that I'm not too kind to my grills. I basically leave them exposed to the elements all year. Yes, I know, if I cover it it will last longer. But this is no fun and makes grilling more of a pain.

I heard Weber grills last a long time. Not sure what the body is made of though. Many of the components are SS though.

Anyone have any brands they swear by?

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Re: Good bbq grill that won't rust out

Post by bpgreen » April 21st, 2014, 6:33 pm

I've never used propane. For charcoal, I don't think you can go wrong with Weber. I think mine's about 20 years old. If they make propane grills, I'd expect them to be high quality, as well.

rtomek
Grass Type: Elite KBG Sod (unknown cultivars)
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Post by rtomek » April 21st, 2014, 6:36 pm

I worked at a store that sold a lot of grills when I was in college, so I saw the quality difference every day during spring and summer. In that price range I wouldn't buy anything but a Weber, and I wouldn't look at other brands until you're about 5-10x that price range. I don't remember showing anyone anything besides the Weber grills, I just asked what features they wanted and told them what line to look at. Those other grills were bought by the people that looked at pricetags and didn't talk to an employee.

My Weber has been with me for over 10 years and 3 moves, and is still like new. I do put the cover on whenever I remember to, it takes about 10 seconds but I still forget about half of the time. My recommendation would be to suck it up and spend the extra $200 or so and get a Weber.

bernstem
Grass Type: Front: Solar Eclipse/Award/Bewitched/Moonlight SLT/Prosperity Back: Solar Eclipse Monostand + Bewitched (shade)

Post by bernstem » April 21st, 2014, 8:12 pm

I have a weber propane grill. It sits outside 24/7 without a cover and still works great 6 years later with zero maintenance other than new grilling racks.

kevreh
Grass Type: Front Yard: 2013 TTTF reno (faith, cochise, turbo, ls1200), Back: 2013 KBG reno (bewitched, midnight, prosperity)

Post by kevreh » April 21st, 2014, 8:22 pm

Good to know, all roads still lead to weber. They have the $399 spirit line and $699+ Genesis line. Think I'll save for the Genesis.

BTW, bought a kamodo style grill (aka green egg) last year and love it. It's the Char-Griller Kamado grill. Just not a weeknight-quick-grill kind of grill. Takes longer to start up.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Post by turf_toes » April 21st, 2014, 8:23 pm

I have a weber propane grill.

Years ago I noticed the same thing you have. Those slightly less expensive grills rusted out every four years. My brother-in-law had a weber that was 12-years-old without any sign of Rust.

In hindsight, I ended spending a lot more money on those "less expensive" grills.

Sent from my iOS device using the Yard Help App

kevreh

Post by kevreh » April 21st, 2014, 8:40 pm

You know, I've always changed out the grates regularly, along with the burners (that are...STAINLESS STEEL...but still rust). The $80 aircraft-aluminum grade GrillGrates (grillgrate.com) have held up really well. Just too bad my grill is crumbling around them. :o

But your right, the ongoing costs of cheaper grills does add up.

BTW, I gotta find out what material weber makes the bodies out of.

HanLawn
Grass Type: COCHISE IV,FALCON V,FAITH TTTF + KBG

Post by HanLawn » April 21st, 2014, 8:51 pm

four years ago I tried to talk my sister into getting a weber gas grill and she decided she did not want to spend the extra over the price of the charbroil infrared.......guess who had to replace that grill this spring and what she finally bought? should have bought the weber in the first place,as she has now spent the price of the weber AND the 399 for the "cheaper" grill that has already rusted out! Classic mistake of confusing upfront price to purchase VS total cost of ownership over the products lifetime.....the walmart mentality.

ericgautier
Grass Type: Front/Sides: Blueberry Monostand Back: TTTF+KBG

Post by ericgautier » April 21st, 2014, 9:19 pm

My brother has a weber and so far so good (1 season so far). Its out in the elements with only a cover.

I LOVE to grill/smoke whenever I can and lucky that I have a covered patio when we bought our house. I have a charcoal kettle grill w/o a cover and a pellet grill with a cover. Both are under the covered patio. I can definitely see how much a cover helps. The charcoal grill is showing signs of rust on the outside (legs and shelf) while the pellet grill w/ the cover is still in mint condition.

Rockinar
Grass Type: Tiff 419

Post by Rockinar » April 23rd, 2014, 3:52 pm

In the world of grills, you get what you pay for. Charbroil is the worst brand out there. They are just cheap chinese stamped sheet metal. Weber is one of the best. A decent grill will be all stainless steel and set you back about $1,000.

I ditched the gas grills and bought a Big Green Egg last year ($1,000). I should have done this years ago. Cooks WAAAAAAAAY better food than ANY gas grill can no matter how expensive ever can. The flavor is 100X better. It uses lump charcoal, not briquettes so it's way less messy than a charcoal grill, don't need lighter fluid, ready to cook on in about 10 minutes, can bake a pizza on a pizza stone, roast a chicken at 350 degrees, or slow smoke a brisket @225 for 12 straight without touching it. you "set it and forget it!" Just get the temp to where you want it and go to bed. They are ceramic so they don't rust and there's no grease in it to clean. They will hold a rock steady temp in freezing weather. Grease gets burned up in the ash. There's ZERO grease cleaning. Lump charcoal produces very little ash, so you don't mess with that really either. Just rake it out of the ash catch every 3-4 cooks (takes 10 seconds tops). That's all there is to it. When you're done cooking, you just shut the vents and it snuffs out the coals and they are good as new for the next cook. These are not the "Charcoal grill of the past".

I would encourage people to give them a look over any gas grill or charcoal grill. Big Green Egg, Kamado Joe and Primo are all good ceramic cookers, come in different sizes and all work the same and one is as good as the other. Look around your area for a dealer. They are not sold in big box stores

My home builder put a $3,500 DCS all stainless propane grill in my outdoor kitchen. It get's ZERO use. Green egg every time. People had been telling me for years to get one. I just ignored them and used my gas grill thinking they could do as good. They can't.

I had a Weber Genesis before the Green Egg. The Genesis is a good grill (don't get the Spirit) , but I remember it being a greasy mess. That's what I lover about the ceramic cookers. There's no mess to clean up and the food is 100X better. I don't see why anyone would get a gas grill these days. They turn out dry and flavorless food.

kevreh

Post by kevreh » April 23rd, 2014, 5:19 pm

Rockinar wrote:In the world of grills, you get what you pay for. Charbroil is the worst brand out there. They are just cheap chinese stamped sheet metal. Weber is one of the best. A decent grill will be all stainless steel and set you back about $1,000.

I ditched the gas grills and bought a Big Green Egg last year ($1,000). I should have done this years ago. Cooks WAAAAAAAAY better food than ANY gas grill can no matter how expensive ever can. The flavor is 100X better. It uses lump charcoal, not briquettes so it's way less messy than a charcoal grill, don't need lighter fluid, ready to cook on in about 10 minutes, can bake a pizza on a pizza stone, roast a chicken at 350 degrees, or slow smoke a brisket @225 for 12 straight without touching it. you "set it and forget it!" Just get the temp to where you want it and go to bed. They are ceramic so they don't rust and there's no grease in it to clean. They will hold a rock steady temp in freezing weather. Grease gets burned up in the ash. There's ZERO grease cleaning. Lump charcoal produces very little ash, so you don't mess with that really either. Just rake it out of the ash catch every 3-4 cooks (takes 10 seconds tops). That's all there is to it. When you're done cooking, you just shut the vents and it snuffs out the coals and they are good as new for the next cook. These are not the "Charcoal grill of the past".

I would encourage people to give them a look over any gas grill or charcoal grill. Big Green Egg, Kamado Joe and Primo are all good ceramic cookers, come in different sizes and all work the same and one is as good as the other. Look around your area for a dealer. They are not sold in big box stores

My home builder put a $3,500 DCS all stainless propane grill in my outdoor kitchen. It get's ZERO use. Green egg every time. People had been telling me for years to get one. I just ignored them and used my gas grill thinking they could do as good. They can't.

I had a Weber Genesis before the Green Egg. The Genesis is a good grill (don't get the Spirit) , but I remember it being a greasy mess. That's what I lover about the ceramic cookers. There's no mess to clean up and the food is 100X better. I don't see why anyone would get a gas grill these days. They turn out dry and flavorless food.
I know...I know! Preaching to the choir. Not sure if you saw my comment above but last year I bought the Char-Griller Kamado grill. Couldn't be happier....everything you said +100. Its just there's nothing like walking outside and turning on a gas grill when you don't want to mess around starting the kamodo grills.

FWIW, to start the grill I put some kindling (oak or cedar) on top of some wax cubes. Then surround with the coal. Works well, very idiot proof.

What's your method?
Last edited by kevreh on April 23rd, 2014, 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rockinar
Grass Type: Tiff 419

Post by Rockinar » April 23rd, 2014, 5:36 pm

kevreh wrote:
I know...I know! Preaching to the choir. Not sure if you saw my comment above but last year I bought the Char-Griller Kamado grill. Couldn't be happier....everything you said +100. Its just there's nothing like walking outside and turning on a gas grill when you don't want to mess around starting the kamodo grills.

FWIW, to start the grill I put some kindling (oak or cedar) on top of some wax cubes. Then surround with the coal. Works well, very idiot proof.

What's your method?

I use these fire starters. Break one in half and set it in the middle. Light it with a lighter. It will catch on to the coals pretty quick.

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/store ... Mwod0ykA1g

kevreh

Post by kevreh » April 23rd, 2014, 5:44 pm

Nice, I haven't seen those at Home Depot, I'll have to look around.

Looking at the Webers, I believe the grill body is made from cast aluminum. I think this is probably the prime reason they last so long. Other grills, both stainless steel and cast enamel, have rusted from the INSIDE out. All the fancy stainless steel on the outside 'aint gonna stop that.

CTShoreGuy
Grass Type: Elite TTTF & KBG

Post by CTShoreGuy » April 23rd, 2014, 8:00 pm

turf_toes wrote:I have a weber propane grill.

Years ago I noticed the same thing you have. Those slightly less expensive grills rusted out every four years. My brother-in-law had a weber that was 12-years-old without any sign of Rust.

In hindsight, I ended spending a lot more money on those "less expensive" grills.

:clapping: I did the sunbeam grill for a hundred bucks back in the 90's...1-2 years max.

$400 Weber from 2004 no rust, works great, replaced the plates a few years ago AND it survived a intense grease pan fire to boot. :good:

kevreh

Post by kevreh » April 23rd, 2014, 8:33 pm

I had one of those not to long ago (grease fire). Lots of white smoke. The current Genesis grills have a pretty nice sloped grease pan the drops into a hole and into a disposable aluminum pan, accessible below.

Did you get the enamel or stainless plates?

ericgautier

Post by ericgautier » April 24th, 2014, 4:35 pm

My next grill is going to be - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zWdLKqYMro :)

kevreh

Post by kevreh » April 24th, 2014, 4:59 pm

WOW....at a mere $2800 it has an electric control panel to keep the temperature consistent. Wonder how many years of (not paying for) $20 propane tank refills until this bad boy is paid off? You can tell its high quality, thick gauge ss.

ericgautier

Post by ericgautier » April 24th, 2014, 10:27 pm

+ real wood smoke flavor. ;) hehe.

s3_buell
Grass Type: KGB, TTTF and 30 year mutt sections

Post by s3_buell » April 24th, 2014, 11:55 pm

My 1998 Charbroil isn't steel except for the frame. It is out in the weather and used year round. We do use a cover. Burners only last about 5 years before the flame gets yellow though. Other problems have been from abuse like the kids trying ride it like a wagon. Staying away from steel could be more important than brand name.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

texasweed

Post by texasweed » April 25th, 2014, 9:41 am

I have had my Big Green Egg going on 30 years now, and my Hasty Bake around 17 years. In addition my good ole fashion Webber Kettle is on it 10th year although needs a new grill grate about season which is fairly cheap.