Good bbq grill that won't rust out

This is the place to discuss issues not related to lawn and gardening
HanLawn
Grass Type: COCHISE IV,FALCON V,FAITH TTTF + KBG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Good bbq grill that won't rust out

Post by HanLawn » July 28th, 2014, 3:46 pm

I think the enamel negates many of the advantages of cooking with cast iron,and the only positive it adds is easier maintenance.

kevreh
Grass Type: Front Yard: 2013 TTTF reno (faith, cochise, turbo, ls1200), Back: 2013 KBG reno (bewitched, midnight, prosperity)

Post by kevreh » July 28th, 2014, 5:50 pm

These aren't the old type of enamel, that looks painted on. According to weber, they're actually porcelain enamel. Either way they look and act like cast iron, just with a durable coating. I think they give off a little more flavor and sear better than stainless steel.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

dfw_pilot
Grass Type: U3 Bermuda

Post by dfw_pilot » August 15th, 2014, 8:30 pm

I have a Weber and love it. They are American made (mostly). However, I won't ever go back to cooking on anything but GrillGrates. Get them custom cut to fit your specific grill and toss the old cast iron. They even-out the heat, allow infrared searing, heat and cool quickly, stop flare-ups and will outlive your kids.

Here's the video that sold me on them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xmr7MaMi7uM

Furthermore, if you aren't reading Meathead over at http://www.AmazingRibs.com, you are missing out. It's the ATY for grillers. Meathead is the TW of Bermuda growers. He's the final word. Even if you've been grilling for 30 years, you'll learn something over there. Enjoy.

kevreh
Grass Type: Front Yard: 2013 TTTF reno (faith, cochise, turbo, ls1200), Back: 2013 KBG reno (bewitched, midnight, prosperity)

Post by kevreh » August 15th, 2014, 9:39 pm

Funny you mention that. I've spent a decent amount of time at that site, great wealth of bbq info. Annnnnd the grill grates, they gave me extra time on my old charbroiler infrared grill before it rusted out. I gotta say, the enamel grates on the weber are a lot easier to clean. No channels for food to get trapped in. Maybe some day the grill grates will get used again. I think they're grate (ha ha) for so-so grills, that come with sucky grates.

Good tips!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

wis99ski
Grass Type: Front: Blueberry, Bewitched, Prosperity ---- Back: Bewitched, Everest, America

Good bbq grill that won't rust out

Post by wis99ski » November 17th, 2014, 8:29 am

Primo ceramic kamado grills, there is absolutely no flavor like it. I went from a big gas grill to a compact ceramic and everyone is blown away by the flavor.

Sent from my iOS device using the Yard Help App

Kloyrirl
Grass Type: rye grass

Post by Kloyrirl » November 5th, 2018, 11:16 am

This is seemingly an old thread, but I'll add my two cents.

I got one heck of a grill at HEB here in H-Town, it is a pretty heavy duty sucker, gave $130 for it, but 2 and a half years later, just a touch of surface rust on the firebox lid. Its a Char-Griller, and I honestly think even near the water It would last you 5 years or so. Has cast iron grates. thermometer, and is pretty good size. I dont mess with gas grills anymore, got a nice Charbroil in Dallas years ago, and hated the son of a gun, even whith the rottiserie, I bould never get anything to cook on it without burning it, But charcoal, no pproblems. I finally stripped out the guts and drilled holes in the bottom (after replacing 2 of the grill elements) and went to home depot and got a grate for the bottom for the charcoal to sit on. Best 500 dollar gas to charcoal converted grill you will ever find.