Time Lapse

This is the place to discuss issues not related to lawn and gardening
dfw_pilot
Grass Type: U3 Bermuda
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

You know it

Post by dfw_pilot » October 22nd, 2015, 2:11 pm

Probably 8x over but it's still a sight to see!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Tony alony
Grass Type: St. Augustine

Re: Time Lapse

Post by Tony alony » October 22nd, 2015, 10:43 pm

Alan wrote:Engineers use some standardized safety factor when they build stuff like this.
Yup! Just like the operators of any piece of equipment, safety and all other parameters were considered before you were allowed in the operators seat. Otherwise, due dilligence would have been neglected. Most designers of complicated, sofisticated equipment have to consider operator failure.
Thank goodness that those design features are considered to counteract any wahoos who might be at the controls of an expensive piece of equipment, be it a multi million dollar aircraft, or a nuclear power plant, or a food processing factory.

kingofgreen
Grass Type: Elite KBG

Post by kingofgreen » October 23rd, 2015, 10:50 pm

Really cool video, thanks for sharing... Tony Alony take a chill pill, just don't get behind the controls! :shock:

dfw_pilot

Post by dfw_pilot » October 24th, 2015, 12:46 am

Thanks King. Yeah, Tony often goes way off topic.

Tony alony

Post by Tony alony » October 28th, 2015, 10:50 pm

dfw_pilot wrote:Thanks King. Yeah, Tony often goes way off topic.

And so I do, and you don't . So what, Mr. Hotstuff?? Do you get off on put downs? Just curious.

If I'm breaking any rules of protocol, I haven't been told so by the owners of this site. I've only been scolded by you and your friends. Catch my drift?? Dfw- pilot, fly guy. :hello:

Ware
Grass Type: Bermuda

Post by Ware » October 29th, 2015, 10:32 am

Tony alony wrote:
dfw_pilot wrote:Thanks King. Yeah, Tony often goes way off topic.

And so I do, and you don't . So what, Mr. Hotstuff?? Do you get off on put downs? Just curious.

If I'm breaking any rules of protocol, I haven't been told so by the owners of this site. I've only been scolded by you and your friends. Catch my drift?? Dfw- pilot, fly guy. :hello:
Retired sod farmer, by chance?

ETA: I kid, don't get too bent out of shape. ;)

dfw_pilot

No way!

Post by dfw_pilot » October 29th, 2015, 9:28 pm

Tony alony wrote:Thank goodness that those design features are considered to counteract any wahoos who might be at the controls of an expensive piece of equipment, be it a multi million dollar aircraft...
This really goes without saying. That was part of what I was referring to about off topic as no one questioned the design features of airport approaches or wahoos [sic] that might fly them. This is a thread started to share some fun videos from a perspective not everyone gets to see. If you would like more reading on some of the types of approaches we fly in the 747-8, read up on the GLS approach that we fly into your (new) hometown of Houston, or: IAN, ILS CatIII, GPS, and RNAV/VNAV approaches. It's all really cool stuff that can be geeked out on if one wants.

[fun]
However, you did call me hot stuff and asked if I caught your drift. Mr. Alony, you are embarrassing me my friend! :blush: Besides, I'm happily married!!! :P
[/fun]

Tony alony

Post by Tony alony » October 30th, 2015, 8:35 am

Ok, dfw_pilot. No more questions from me on any of your posts. I was asking what type of training, knowledge, mettle, etc., that you had in an emergency landing situation. I wondered how quickly a pilot could respond to all of the possibilities of an emergency landing. Thanks for the info you posted. I've since found another web site that sorta answers some of my questions. https://www.quora.com/Can-a-fighter-pil ... l-airplane

And my apologies if you thought I was calling you a wahoo. I wasn't trying to be disrespectful of you personally. I just assumed that a pilot would be required to know every detail about the operation of such an expensive piece of equipment. I've since found out from you that as long as there is a source of communication, with the people that know, on the ground, a pilot is merely an operator of a highly technical machine. Finally; no, there is no type of attraction to you whatsoever. Here's hoping that every hour you spend in flight is stress free and safe.

dfw_pilot

1 million pounds

Post by dfw_pilot » October 30th, 2015, 11:21 am

Well, Tony, if you had actually asked me those questions, I would have answered. I can't answer what isn't asked. Glad you found an online resource, though.

To try and get this thing back on the rails, here's a non-time lapse of a 987,000 lb take off (max weight) out of Hong Kong. I was one of the relief pilots sitting behind the control seats. Before we get lighter than air, we get to see both ends of the runway. Amazingly, we were not at full takeoff thrust.

I'm doing a red-eye on Saturday night with a 5 am arrival into Miami. It's a bit over an hour before sunrise, but I'm hoping for some good lighting and a good time lapse!!

dfw_pilot

Miami

Post by dfw_pilot » November 2nd, 2015, 5:09 pm

This one didn't turn out too well because we got in before the sunrise for some color in the sky. However, I thought I would still share.

Alan
Grass Type: St. Aug, but converting to Bermuda

Post by Alan » November 2nd, 2015, 5:20 pm

Cool. I love these. I wish they were a bit slower though. The taxiing after landing almost made me sick...lol

dfw_pilot

Speed

Post by dfw_pilot » November 2nd, 2015, 5:30 pm

Ha! I actually sped up the taxiing because I didn't want the video to get too long. One day I might splurge for a better camera like a Hero4 and make better videos with more control.

dfw_pilot

A couple more

Post by dfw_pilot » June 15th, 2016, 1:44 am

Sorry these are to the same airports I've posted before.

Not a time lapse, just a real time departure. For a sense of speed, runway edge lights are spaced 200' apart and the white numbers on black signs on the left side of the runway count down distance remaining in thousands of feet. We rotated at 165 knots (190 mph).

HomerGuy
Grass Type: No-name KBG

Post by HomerGuy » June 15th, 2016, 12:12 pm

Very cool videos.

When you stop to think about it, it is awe inspiring the technological advances in the past 100 years. To put 1 million pounds in the air is just insane when you think about all of the engineering and manufacturing behind it.

Alan
Grass Type: St. Aug, but converting to Bermuda

Post by Alan » June 15th, 2016, 4:37 pm

That last video is 'real time'?...wow! it looks like slow motion. I love all the vids you post.

dfw_pilot

Perspective

Post by dfw_pilot » June 16th, 2016, 9:08 am

Thanks, Alan. Yeah, the height of the flight deck makes it look a bit slow. The runway you see is 200' feet, but doesn't really look like it is. My first landing in the 747 freaked me out because you are so high above the runway when the main wheels actually touch down, unlike in something smaller like a 737 or C-172.