Driveway sealers?

This is the place to discuss issues not related to lawn and gardening
kevreh
Grass Type: Front Yard: 2013 TTTF reno (faith, cochise, turbo, ls1200), Back: 2013 KBG reno (bewitched, midnight, prosperity)
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Driveway sealers?

Post by kevreh » May 5th, 2016, 2:40 pm

Anyone use any decent products they recomend? Seems like the cheaper ones from Lowes/HD get bad reviews. Maybe they don't sell good brands? Rustoleam has one thats gets good reviews but is spendy, like $50 for 2 gallons.

?

laadams85
Grass Type: TF, KBG, Rye grass

Re: Driveway sealers?

Post by laadams85 » May 9th, 2016, 3:19 pm

kevreh wrote:Anyone use any decent products they recomend? Seems like the cheaper ones from Lowes/HD get bad reviews. Maybe they don't sell good brands? Rustoleam has one thats gets good reviews but is spendy, like $50 for 2 gallons.

?
For concrete? I have used Behr Premium 5-gal. Protector and Waterproofer ($100). I chose it because it is a silane/siloxane sealant. It has worked good so far.

Billybob
Grass Type: TTTF

Post by Billybob » May 9th, 2016, 10:41 pm

I usually don't recommend Home Depot but I used this about 2yrs ago and it's holding up pretty good.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Latex-ite-4- ... /100508445

Do 2 thin coats. Turn the bucket upside down overnight and mix well. They added sand which is nice for traction.

I used a squeegee and keep the driveway wet as you go. When I say wet I mean with the product not water. Otherwise you will have streaking.

It's jet black but not super shiny I suppose the sand takes some of the sheen away

You can buy a commercial grade product but you will pay for it.
Good luck

kevreh
Grass Type: Front Yard: 2013 TTTF reno (faith, cochise, turbo, ls1200), Back: 2013 KBG reno (bewitched, midnight, prosperity)

Post by kevreh » May 10th, 2016, 8:15 am

laadams85 wrote:
kevreh wrote:Anyone use any decent products they recomend? Seems like the cheaper ones from Lowes/HD get bad reviews. Maybe they don't sell good brands? Rustoleam has one thats gets good reviews but is spendy, like $50 for 2 gallons.

?
For concrete? I have used Behr Premium 5-gal. Protector and Waterproofer ($100). I chose it because it is a silane/siloxane sealant. It has worked good so far.
Yeah, meant for asphalt. Didnt know people sealed cincrete driveways. Thx though.

Billybob, thats the one Im looking at unless I can find something better for the $. I guess 2+ years isnt bad. Thanks for the tips.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

FrayedEnds
Grass Type: Grass

Post by FrayedEnds » July 7th, 2016, 9:59 am

Billybob wrote:I usually don't recommend Home Depot but I used this about 2yrs ago and it's holding up pretty good.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Latex-ite-4- ... /100508445

Do 2 thin coats. Turn the bucket upside down overnight and mix well. They added sand which is nice for traction.

I used a squeegee and keep the driveway wet as you go. When I say wet I mean with the product not water. Otherwise you will have streaking.

It's jet black but not super shiny I suppose the sand takes some of the sheen away

You can buy a commercial grade product but you will pay for it.
Good luck
I also used this. It's almost 4 years old, has faded to grey, but still looks good. To save some money I used an old push-broom to apply. Our asphalt was rough and worn, it would have taken many, many 5 gallon buckets. We used 5 buckets in two thin coats with the broom. Fill any cracks first or they'll return after application. Good luck!

paulr
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Post by paulr » July 7th, 2016, 1:29 pm

Doing the same research here. Never used any of the stuff, our driveway is chipping away and looks to need a coat. My research so far has pointed to getting something Acrylic.

The new Rustoleum sealer reviews are boom or bust, nothing in-between. :(