This is the place to discuss issues not related to lawn and gardening
Ware
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

The Official BL/ATY Cigar Thread...

Post by Ware » May 19th, 2016, 11:26 pm

I couldn't find one, so this is it. :good:

I'm no pro, but I do enjoy a good smoke while kicked back on the patio, admiring the lawn after a long day. I find it relaxing.

This evening is a Fuente Casa Cuba. It's a "doble cinco" which is basically a Robusto. I picked up a box at a Fuente event at my local tobacconist a couple weeks ago, and it's a pretty good mild-medium cigar. I usually stick to singles as I don't smoke a lot, but between the discount and recuperating the cost of my event ticket, this one was good enough to displace some air in my Ammodor.

Robusto is probably my favorite size. At ~5x50, it's a 45min to 1hr smoke for me. That's usually about as much time as I am able to carve out of a day. If we're watching a game or something on the patio, I sometimes go with something a little bigger.

My pairing this evening is Bulleit Rye - neat. It also makes a great old fashioned. Tonight it, along with the fire pit, is knocking the chill off the 59F evening.

[ Post made thinking about putting up a personal weather station ] Image
Last edited by Ware on May 20th, 2016, 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

dfw_pilot
Grass Type: U3 Bermuda

Join ya on the patio

Post by dfw_pilot » May 20th, 2016, 5:46 am

Excellent start to an excellent thread! There is a lot I want to learn, so consider me subscribed. :good:

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: The Official BL/ATY Cigar Thread...

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » May 20th, 2016, 6:12 am

I'm more of a pipe guy, but I'll play! (I have a small cellar of aging tobacco that gets enjoyed while camping, hunting, and for special occasions....)

For cigars, I go for a nice Montecristo. I may or may not have some from another island in the same general area as well that found their way here via some clients and friends of mine. I use a torch lighter for the cigars, and a pipe lighter for the pipe. Gotta have the right tool for the right job, no?

Main_sail22
Grass Type: Zeon Zoysia

Post by Main_sail22 » May 20th, 2016, 7:19 am

Normal go to on the links, sailing, fishing is monticristo white, though for special occasions, I also go to the Avo #11 or Davidoff.

Like Ware, I too enjoy the Old Fashion as my drink of choice. Homemade simple syrup, orange slice, bitters, knob creek, with a sphere ice ball.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Ware

Lighters, Cutters, and Flaming Orange Zests...

Post by Ware » May 20th, 2016, 9:57 am

HoosierLawnGnome wrote:...I use a torch lighter for the cigars, and a pipe lighter for the pipe. Gotta have the right tool for the right job, no?
Yeah, I use a butane torch style lighter, and always begin by toasting the foot. Mine is a single jet. There are some doubles, triples, and even quads when you go to a tabletop lighter, but since I work in energy conservation, the single jet is fine. ;)

For cutters, I'm not picky. I've used several, but my $30 Xikar X8 gets the job done. Punches are fine, too, as long as the draw isn't too tight (a tightly rolled cigar). I've always been intrigued by v-cutters, and may pick one up someday.

Main_sail22 wrote:Like Ware, I too enjoy the Old Fashion as my drink of choice. Homemade simple syrup, orange slice, bitters, knob creek, with a sphere ice ball.
Pretty much this, except I use big cubes instead of spheres. And don't forget to flame your orange zest - chicks dig it. I received a couple Yeti Lowball cups for Christmas, and I have to admit, they are pretty nice.

:good:
Last edited by Ware on May 21st, 2016, 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pennstater2005
Grass Type: 5 way PR back/Mix in the front

Post by Pennstater2005 » May 20th, 2016, 10:56 am

I always enjoyed a Macanudo Maduro. Haven't had cigar in years though. Damn GERD. I was a fan of the v cut myself. It was a good, easy draw with that cut.

Tony alony
Grass Type: St. Augustine

Post by Tony alony » May 20th, 2016, 7:04 pm

My go to brand is Oliva. My favorite is an Oliva G (Cameroon wrapper) . I love cameroon tobacco, even when grown in Honduras. I also like Cusano's blends, but he has left the industry. My all time favorite blender was Frank Llaneza! , from the Villazon factory. Camacho's are good also. When I'm in the mood for a nice Rum &cigar, I'll pic a Pepin Garcia blend. I experiment a lot because I've been smoking cigars since 1983 and my palate is practically shot, so a cigar really has to have a standout flavor for me to enjoy it. I used to frequent the online bidding sites and overspent my budget frequently. Now I visit brick & mortars. still searching for a replica of the best cigarsI ever smoked, which was a Romeo & Julietta , and a Partagas from the ISOM.
ISOM = (Island South of Miami)
Last edited by Tony alony on May 20th, 2016, 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tony alony

Post by Tony alony » May 20th, 2016, 7:05 pm

Deleted, the duplicate post

Tony alony

Post by Tony alony » May 20th, 2016, 7:59 pm

By the way, the proper way for a cigar snob to light a cigar is with a spill. A spill is a thin strip of cedar whose only purpose is to light cigars. Using this method, you are insured against introducing any foreign flavors, such as butane, or sulphur into the cigar. Mainly used by Afficianados only.
FWIW. Enjoy!

Pennstater2005
Grass Type: 5 way PR back/Mix in the front

Post by Pennstater2005 » May 21st, 2016, 8:48 pm

This thread made me go out and get a cigar. I got a Drew Estate Acid Toast Maduro. Yummy!

beedix
Grass Type: Front - Bermuda, Back - Palisades Zoysia

Post by beedix » May 21st, 2016, 9:07 pm

I''ve been in the club for awhile. 3 wineadors with custom shelving. Lots of good stuff aging.
ImageUploadedByYard Help1463878892.163121.jpg

Sent from my iOS device using the Yard Help App

LoneRanger
Grass Type: Front/Side - Emblem, Back - Panterra V

Post by LoneRanger » May 21st, 2016, 11:20 pm

Hmm. And here I thought model rockets were cool.

Ware

Post by Ware » May 22nd, 2016, 12:13 am

Tony alony wrote:My go to brand is Oliva. My favorite is an Oliva G (Cameroon wrapper) . I love cameroon tobacco, even when grown in Honduras...
So I tried one of these today during an anniversary event at my local brick and mortar. I think it may be one of my new favorite cigars! It was the 4.5x50 Robusto. I like box-pressed, and I think it was only around $6.

Tony alony wrote:By the way, the proper way for a cigar snob to light a cigar is with a spill. A spill is a thin strip of cedar whose only purpose is to light cigars. Using this method, you are insured against introducing any foreign flavors, such as butane, or sulphur into the cigar. Mainly used by Afficianados only.
FWIW. Enjoy!
I also grabbed some spills.

Thanks Tony alony! :good:
Last edited by Ware on May 22nd, 2016, 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tony alony

Post by Tony alony » May 22nd, 2016, 9:05 am

Oliva's are good. When you get a chance, try the V series, pick your favorite vitola size. They are kinda expensive, but like most people who have tried them, you'll never have an "ack!" experience.
They burn well and don't require touch ups to keep burning. Of course, I'm sure you know that should you ever have to relight a cigar,knock as much ash off the foot as possible without wrecking the wrapper. Then while relighting, exhale (blow) through the cigar for a few seconds to burn off any tar on the foot. Then begin to draw through the cigar while relighting as normal. Tip: Some guys, clip the foot to relight, but when smoking an expensive cigar, you don't want to damage the wrapper by recutting the foot after it has been lit.
When exhaling through the cigar gently, watch out for the friable ash, so you don't burn your arm. LOL.

Tony alony

Post by Tony alony » May 22nd, 2016, 10:26 am

Beedix, your wine- adores look great! Way to go!
Certainly more refined than cool-adores. I've known cigar nuts who refitted old refrigerators for their stashes. LOL

Ware

Oliva...

Post by Ware » May 22nd, 2016, 10:32 am

Tony alony wrote:Oliva's are good. When you get a chance, try the V series, pick your favorite vitola size. They are kinda expensive, but like most people who have tried them, you'll never have an "ack!" experience.
They burn well and don't require touch ups to keep burning.
I don't smoke much, so I like to make it count when I do. In other words, I usually don't reach for the cheaper cigars within a product line; however, I was very pleasantly surprised with the Serie G.

I've had the Serie V Melanio, but not the regular Serie V. I've always thought the Melanio's have the most beautiful wrapper textures/shades in the store.

Cigar shopping is a little daunting for me. I suffer from chronic analysis paralysis, and I can't think of many places with more choices per square foot than a walk-in humidor. The wood screw section at Lowe's is a cake walk in comparison.
Tony alony wrote:Of course, I'm sure you know that should you ever have to relight a cigar,knock as much ash off the foot as possible without wrecking the wrapper. Then while relighting, exhale (blow) through the cigar for a few seconds to burn off any tar on the foot. Then begin to draw through the cigar while relighting as normal. Tip: Some guys, clip the foot to relight, but when smoking an expensive cigar, you don't want to damage the wrapper by recutting the foot after it has been lit.
When exhaling through the cigar gently, watch out for the friable ash, so you don't burn your arm. LOL.
10-4 on the relighting.

What is your preferred cutter? Guillotine? Punch? V-Cutter? Scissors?

Tony alony

Post by Tony alony » May 22nd, 2016, 10:46 am

Ware, I use the punch when smoking smaller ring gauges- Coronas, etc. I use a V cutter on torpedoes, and I use a guillotine for Robustos and Toros, or whatever is handy when I'm outdoors, usually a punch though, since I carry one on my key ring. The guillotines are nice but a little too heavy to carry in my pants pocket.

Tony alony

Post by Tony alony » May 22nd, 2016, 10:47 am

@dfw_pilot. Old buddy, old pal... Don't you land in Hong Kong from time to time?
:wave: Hint, hint,...... J/K

dfw_pilot
Grass Type: U3 Bermuda

Hong Kong

Post by dfw_pilot » May 22nd, 2016, 10:49 am

Do you want a Hong Kong cigar? Tell me where the shop is . . .

Ware

Is this really happening?

Post by Ware » May 22nd, 2016, 10:55 am

Who would have thought a thread I was almost certain would die a lonely death would cause this...