The Official BL/ATY Cigar Thread...

This is the place to discuss issues not related to lawn and gardening
Tsmith
Grass Type: KBG Bewitched Monostand
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: The Official BL/ATY Cigar Thread...

Post by Tsmith » May 22nd, 2016, 10:55 am

I'm not a cigar guy but nice choice on the Bulleit Rye as that's always at the top of my list.

Sent from my iOS device using the Yard Help App

Tony alony
Grass Type: St. Augustine

Post by Tony alony » May 22nd, 2016, 11:05 am

Dfw_ pilot. I was just kidding, really.
It's been awhile since I've shared a box or two with a buddy when I was living in Chicago. The whole experience is somewhat risky because we couldn't receive a shipment with the labels still on the stogies. The labels were always shipped separately, that's all I can say about the subject. You never know who may read this post since it's on the web.

dfw_pilot
Grass Type: U3 Bermuda

Havana

Post by dfw_pilot » May 22nd, 2016, 11:33 am

Ah, I'm smelling what you're stepping in.

[ Post made via Guantanamo Bay ] Image

Tony alony

Post by Tony alony » May 22nd, 2016, 6:55 pm

Just picked up three San Cristobal Mystics 5 5/8 x48 box press. Revelation Series. A Don Pepin blend. http://ashtoncigar.com/cigars/san-crist ... revelation
Gorgeous wrapper, earthy smell, Can't wait to try them again, haven't had one in a while.
Lucky the B&M is open till 6:00 on Sunday.

Ware
Grass Type: Bermuda

San Cristobal...

Post by Ware » May 22nd, 2016, 7:09 pm

Tony alony wrote:Just picked up three San Cristobal Mystics 5 5/8 x48 box press. Revelation Series. A Don Pepin blend. http://ashtoncigar.com/cigars/san-crist ... revelation
Gorgeous wrapper, earthy smell, Can't wait to try them again, haven't had one in a while.
Lucky te B&m is open till 6:00 on Sunday.
Like this?

I picked up a La Aroma de Cuba & San Cristobal 92-95 Rated Assortment at an Ashton even awhile back, and this was in it.

I may smoke it later this evening in honor of our newfound common interest. :good:

Tony alony

Post by Tony alony » May 22nd, 2016, 7:17 pm

Ware wrote:[quote

Like this?

I picked up a La Aroma de Cuba & San Cristobal 92-95 Rated Assortment at an Ashton even awhile back, and this was in it.

I may smoke it later this evening in honor of our newfound common interest. :good:
Good to hear we have something in common, and so will I for the same reason. :)

Ware

Cheers...

Post by Ware » May 22nd, 2016, 10:46 pm

Good cigar. Can you explain the San Cristobal/Ashton/Don Pepin/My Father connections? How all the labels/companies/people/factories fit together is something I've never really had the time to figure out.

Image Image

[ Post made via the patio ] Image

Tony alony

Post by Tony alony » May 23rd, 2016, 4:45 am

Ware, my guess is the scope of operating in a worldwide market is about industry affiliation and distribution. Take a look at the numbers behind the "Big Two" - Swedish Match and Altadis.
Just my guess.

dfw_pilot

Shipping

Post by dfw_pilot » May 23rd, 2016, 11:45 pm

deleted
Last edited by dfw_pilot on September 20th, 2016, 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

new to this
Grass Type: KBG Front, PRG Back

Post by new to this » May 24th, 2016, 3:01 pm

1/4 of my life was spent working with tobacco. From planting, weeding, picking, sewing, hanging, irrigation, take down and packing, to late fall knock down. Great times work CT shade tobacco. Up until 6 years ago I smoked some fine(never touched the cheap donkey crap ones)cigars, maybe a couple a week. But I stopped when my father found out he had lung cancer (cigarettes since 13 yrs old). I had one at my friends 40th that broke the oath, but I'll honor it for a bit longer before I have another. I sure miss the taste, the smell, the ritual of cutting and lighting. One of the practices among the farm owners was to never crush one out, if you're done with it then let it go out naturally. Man I miss a good cigar.

Tony alony

Post by Tony alony » May 24th, 2016, 6:42 pm

New to this, ^ no reason you can't roll the dice, one more time, to enjoy what you once did.
Life's too short not to enjoy it to it's fullest. From how you described your involvement in the cigar industry,
you have my deepest admiration. Connecticut tobacco is still considered a finely grown tobacco, by afficienados. Especially the shade grown product. As you so aptly put it, it's a tradition amongst men. There's still time left, so.. Enjoy!

Ware

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language..."

Post by Ware » May 25th, 2016, 2:16 pm

I received this email from my local brick & mortar today...
FDA To Regulate Cigars and Pipe Tobacco

A few weeks ago the FDA released their ruling on Cigars and Pipe Tobacco. The first set of these new rules are set to go into effect in August of this year, with more to be rolled out over the next few years. These rules will change this industry and the way you enjoy it. The document is 499 pages long and there is a lot more to come. You can find the full document at this link. Here are a few of the main things that will effect YOU.

- No More Free Samples-- Free cigars at events will be a thing of the past. Cigar reps will not be able to give you a free cigar nor can we. Want a bowl of pipe tobacco as a sample? Sorry, we will have to stop this on August 8th, 2016.

- Cigars and pipe tobacco blends that came to market after February of 2007 will have to be approved by the FDA to remain for sale. The cost to get a blend approved is estimated to be in the six figure range. This will kill most small companies.

- New and Limited Edition blends will become very rare. The cost associated with getting the FDA approval, along with the time it will take to get the approval, will make this cost prohibited for a lot of companies.

- Warning labels will be required to cover 30% of a cigar box

- The centuries old tradition of custom blending pipe tobaccos at a tobacconist will end, as it is now considered manufacturing.

Sounds fun, right? The rules even effect Winston's directly. We will soon have to submit all of our advertising to the FDA for approval. Supporting a fellow local business like E Fort Smith and local radio stations just got a lot more complicated. Our house blended pipe tobaccos will go away.

But WE can still fight this. Below are two links to let your voice me heard. The first one is a We The People Petition to The President. Sign it. Please. It seriously takes about 2 minutes.

The 2nd one is a way to contact your Senators and Representatives to ask them to support legislation to exempt cigars from the FDA. Here in Arkansas, both Senator Boozman and Cotton are co-sponsors of a bill that will do this. Rep. Womack is also supporting a bill in the House that will do the same. Write them and thank them. If you are in Oklahoma, Senator Inhofe and Rep. Cole are sponsors. Rep. Mullin and Sen. Lankford are not.

We The People Petition link is here.

Contact your Congressional Representatives here.

If you want to read more about about the FDA ruling on Cigars Halfwheel.com has a very well written guide to understanding this. Their coverage can be found here.

No matter what happens, we here at Winston's are committed to bringing you the best quality and selection of premium cigars and pipe tobacco we can. Hopefully our choices and yours will not be limited by the FDA.
:banghead:

mnmsrt8
Grass Type: Mostly NoMix

Post by mnmsrt8 » May 25th, 2016, 2:18 pm

Tony alony

Post by Tony alony » May 25th, 2016, 6:38 pm

Maybe women are behind this regulation by politicians, and trying to ruin a man's leisure.
I can imagine that passing wind will become objectionable also, and punishable by those who are so socially adep that you would have to explode rather than offend someone upwind or downwind, go figure...:rotfl:
What's next?, I'll I get a warning, or a ticket because my car has not been washed in a few days or my shoes aren't shined?? :confused:

dfw_pilot

Re: Shipping

Post by dfw_pilot » May 25th, 2016, 7:08 pm

deleted
Last edited by dfw_pilot on September 20th, 2016, 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tony alony

Post by Tony alony » May 25th, 2016, 7:27 pm

Dfw_ pilot, I responded to your generous help or information by using the hypertext link you provided. Maybe I should have responded in a different manner. Nevertheless I'm going to try again using a different contact method that you posted. Should I go ahead and do that?
BOTL , I'm all ears and waiting for what it is you have to say. I suppose, it would be more discreet to just communicate the normal way, but, I'm an old "Crankshaft" from times gone by.
Let me know what else I can do to respond appropriately. Awaiting further instructions.
Thanks, BOTL.

dfw_pilot

Contact

Post by dfw_pilot » May 25th, 2016, 8:07 pm

Tony, sorry, for some reason I never got a notification that I had a comment sent from the weather website. If you just want to send me an e-mail to the bold lettered address above, give that a shot. :good:

Tony alony

Post by Tony alony » May 25th, 2016, 8:52 pm

dew-_ pilot, I believe I just did ,as per your suggestion. Let me know if you received my attempt to communicate. Thanks, BOTL. Here's hoping we get to share whatever resources you're willing to provide.
Thanks, Tony.

Ware

Post by Ware » May 25th, 2016, 11:03 pm

I've been using a Xikar X-8, but I tried out a new Xikar v-cutter on a La Aroma de Cuba Robusto this evening. I really like the cutter - the cut is clean and it doesn't affect the draw as much as I thought it would. The nature of the cut allows a nice purchase on the head of the cigar with my mouth. The contoured body of the cutter also doubles as a place to rest your cigar.

[ Post made listening to Sturgill Simpson ] Image

dfw_pilot

Petition Signed!

Post by dfw_pilot » May 26th, 2016, 12:32 am

Signed the petition.

The La Aroma looks great. Those V-cutters always leave me thinking that the cigar has a mouth that is staring back at me. Maybe it's the alcohol . . .