Tree fell on Neighbors House

This is the place to discuss issues not related to lawn and gardening
Tsmith
Grass Type: KBG Bewitched Monostand
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by Tsmith » May 22nd, 2016, 3:58 pm

Not much to be done outside this weekend so figured I'd share a quick story. I posted the below pic before of a tree falling on neighbors house and I finally got a chance to talk to catch up with him.

He started off that day by having to put his dog down and was up a little later than his wife that night just sitting on the couch listening to the storm.

He said about 5 mins after he went upstairs to go to bed the wind really picked up causing the tree to fall and hit his house destroying his living room where he was just 5 mins earlier. If that wasn't eery enough his dog who would normally sleep on the couch would have been killed if she was there.

Overall he was in way better spirits than I would be especially since he isn't allowed to stay in his house and probably won't be back until Sept or most likely Oct but has to keep checking on it. It cost 4000 to get the tree removed and 2700 to have his roof properly tarped. It's going to cost about 120k to fix everything which luckily insurance will cover.

The sad part is he talked to me on more than one occasion about cutting this tree down bc he was worried about it and that it also kept his front yard in the shade most of the day which he joked about saying that won't be a problem anymore.

He's staying with his in laws so my last question was, how much more are you drinking to which he responded by just laughing.
ImageUploadedByYard Help1463946774.611298.jpg

Sent from my iOS device using the Yard Help App

bernstem
Grass Type: Front: Solar Eclipse/Award/Bewitched/Moonlight SLT/Prosperity Back: Solar Eclipse Monostand + Bewitched (shade)

Re: Tree fell on Neighbors House

Post by bernstem » May 23rd, 2016, 9:57 am

:shock: Ouch, 120k for home repairs! :shock: At least he and his family is all OK.

Tsmith
Grass Type: KBG Bewitched Monostand

Post by Tsmith » May 23rd, 2016, 10:04 am

They basically have to rebuild that entire side of the house and the entire roof.

He's being told Sept but is currently stuck in paperwork he11 so repairs haven't even started yet.

Unfortunately it took something like this for rest of neighborhood to start cutting down questionable trees...with the exception of my neighbor of course.

LoneRanger
Grass Type: Front/Side - Emblem, Back - Panterra V

Post by LoneRanger » May 23rd, 2016, 1:09 pm

^ Hopefully they won't blame your "chemicals", as causing the failure.

Tony alony
Grass Type: St. Augustine

Post by Tony alony » May 23rd, 2016, 4:53 pm

Tsmith wrote: Unfortunately it took something like this for rest of neighborhood to start cutting down questionable trees...with the exception of my neighbor of course.
It's unfortunate your neighbor had to see his home destroyed, especially if he did a lot of the work to keep it modernized and suitable for his family's comfort.
Unfortunately though; to some, a tree is an imposing structure that ruins grass.
To the average homeowner, "a tree is just a tree". But,"Oh Boy!" when it comes to my lawn, " I'm in it to win it!". "GRASS is job Número Uno"..... LOL