Union Made American Cars?

This is the place to discuss issues not related to lawn and gardening
Tony alony
Grass Type: St. Augustine
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Union Made American Cars?

Post by Tony alony » July 31st, 2016, 6:52 pm

What are your preferences? Here's a list that I found: http://voicesoflabor.com/2016/01/06/buy ... nd-trucks/

Somehow, these cars are proportedly union made. I have my doubts that any are 100% American made, or assembled. North American made; possibly. There is so much trickery in marketing that someone, or anyone, will say anything to take your money. Does anybody care if their cars are made in the USA with fairly compensated employees? And, what do you feel is fair for the assembly line/factory workers? I realize that a fair number of posters here are college educated, so your opinion of fair compensation, may be biased. I want to know what wages you feel is just and fair for a factory worker....Just curious.

Redtenchu
Grass Type: Bermuda

Re: Union Made American Cars?

Post by Redtenchu » July 31st, 2016, 7:37 pm

I buy American made or Assembled whenever possible. Americans working and making a livable wage pay the taxes, that in turn, pay my wages as a federal employee.

God Bless America.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by ken-n-nancy » July 31st, 2016, 8:41 pm

For automobiles, we're a Ford family. Our vehicle history includes a Ford Maverick, multiple Tauruses, a Windstar, an Expedition, and multiple Focus (Foci?). Our next new vehicle is likely to be a Ford Escape unless Ford starts selling the Focus Wagon (Estate) in the USA. Our recent vehicle purchases have been of new vehicles, which we've driven beyond the time when most folks would upgrade to a new vehicle. Our Ford Expedition has 213K miles on it, and we're hoping to get at least a few more years out of it.

We prefer to buy American-made products when the domestic product is a quality product at a reasonable price. We typically purchase high-quality products, rather than low-quality cheap ones. So for us, quality of the product tends to be the primary consideration. It's not necessarily the case that the American-made product is of higher quality than the imported one, though in most cases, the "Made in the USA" product is the higher quality one.

However, when two products are of commensurate quality, we're willing to pay a little more for a well-made American product than the comparable imported product, but for us, the crossover point is typically a price premium of about 10-20% more than the imported product.

Michael Wise
Grass Type: Tifway 419

Post by Michael Wise » July 31st, 2016, 9:29 pm

Redtenchu wrote:I buy American made or Assembled whenever possible. Americans working and making a livable wage pay the taxes, that in turn, pay my wages as a federal employee.

God Bless America.
I call myself trying to do this, but need to make a better effort to check what I'm buying.

Thanks for posting this, Red.

Mightyquinn
Grass Type: Bermuda Tifway 419 Monostand

Post by Mightyquinn » July 31st, 2016, 10:27 pm

I factor in whether I like, I want it and is it worth the price I'm paying. Where it's made or assembled is irrelevant to me. But if it is made in the good ole USA then even better!

I will say that I am brand loyal to certain things but if something better comes along I will certainly change. They still have to earn my dollar!!!

REEL MEN MOW

bernstem
Grass Type: Front: Solar Eclipse/Award/Bewitched/Moonlight SLT/Prosperity Back: Solar Eclipse Monostand + Bewitched (shade)

Post by bernstem » August 1st, 2016, 11:43 am

Yet when we look at domestic made parts content, there are a lot of non-american brands with more American parts than American brands. https://www.cars.com/articles/the-2015- ... 680649381/ I suppose it is better to buy an American car company car with a high percentage of american made parts. The more interesting question is how do you decide between a Japanese car company car with >75% American parts vs an American car company car with <50% American made parts? How important is it that the car is union worker assembled if more than half the parts are sourced outside the US vs a non-Union worker assembled car?

Tony alony
Grass Type: St. Augustine

Post by Tony alony » August 1st, 2016, 1:41 pm

Good article, Bernstem. What I took from the article is that there must be a correlation between the foreign-owned companies using American made parts that must include the stamping plants for automobiles. There aren't many of those stamping plants left in America. I wonder if the sheet metal accounts for their higher numbers of American made parts, here in America? Or if the sheet metal is shipped into America all cleaned and ready for assembly?
Granted, the stamping plants are the smokiest, oiliest, and dirtiest parts to manufacture, yet still, some of the most exacting parts needed in automobiles. The author did a fair job in his piece except for the lack of discription of which parts are made where.

Ware

Made in America

Post by Ware » August 2nd, 2016, 12:57 pm

Not automobile related, but good stuff...

Redtenchu

Post by Redtenchu » August 2nd, 2016, 5:34 pm

Ware wrote:Not automobile related, but good stuff...

Awesome Video Ware!

My statement above was in general terms, not just vehicles (I'm a used car guy anyway).

I enjoyed reading the article Bern linked.