The New Canadian Geese?

This is the place to discuss issues not related to lawn and gardening
andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

The New Canadian Geese?

Post by andy10917 » October 9th, 2016, 10:05 am

I don't know about other areas, but where I live the turkey population has gone from nearly-nonexistent 15 years ago, to "they are everywhere". They used to be very skittish and avoid any contact with people.

Last night, I was leaving the home of one of my sons, and there was a group of roughly 15 turkeys crossing the road. They didn't even hasten their pace a little -- they just ambled across the road despite horn-honking, etc from cars that were waiting.

They have acclimated so completely to humans, that they are now as oblivious to humans as Canadian Geese.

Is it the same in other areas?

seiyafan
Grass Type: Bewitched mono and TTTF/KBG mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: The New Canadian Geese?

Post by seiyafan » October 9th, 2016, 10:30 am

Like they say birds of a feather flock together.
Sometimes I see geese hang out in the front lawn of a local elementary school.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)

Post by andy10917 » October 9th, 2016, 10:36 am

Non-migratory Canadian Geese have been a problem here for as long as I can remember, but Turkeys were never an oblivious nuisance (until now).

Dom_P
Grass Type: KBG and other

Post by Dom_P » October 9th, 2016, 12:30 pm

Thanksgiving is just around the corner... maybe they will start showing some respect :)

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Post by TimmyG » October 9th, 2016, 1:37 pm

We've effectively adopted two wild turkeys that hang out all day with our completely free range chickens (still working on their coop and run). They used to be a lot more skittish, but now they hang out with me when I'm working outside. If my wife is up for it (she's the one that does the deed), we may be having two birds for Thanksgiving dinner this year.

Tsmith
Grass Type: KBG Bewitched Monostand

Post by Tsmith » October 9th, 2016, 2:09 pm

This has been a growing problem in NJ the last couple years as well. My brother sent me a pic of a bunch walking down his street last year like they were in a parade. A few weeks later I saw one in my yard for the first time then looked up and saw about twenty more so I went outside thinking they would run away but they just looked at me. I turned my irritation on thinking that would scare them but a couple just ran through like a kid would.

I have since fenced in my entire yard but I still get the occasional visitor hopping over as they tend to hang out in the woods behind my house.

Sent from my iOS device using the Yard Help App

Grass Type: Quack, No Mix

Post by 1977212 » October 9th, 2016, 5:00 pm

I have about 40 by my house every year, they do seem to get killed off during the winter though. Only seen 3 this spring.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Tony alony
Grass Type: St. Augustine

Post by Tony alony » October 9th, 2016, 6:10 pm

Do the turkeys make as much poop as the geese? I'm a city-boy, always have been, but I have been to the various sewage treatment plants on trouble calls, when I was still working.
The stupid geese pooped everywhere, it was gross. The geese thought the aeration ponds at a sewage treatment plant were some sort of a new-found lake, and decided to take up residence, I guess. LOL

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » October 9th, 2016, 8:17 pm

I'm an avid turkey hunter. Our population is also higher than its been in the last hundred years after great organizations like the National Wild Turkey Federation reintroduced them from out east. The NWTF is also responsible for helping the whitetail population soar.

They aren't a nuisance here yet. They are mostly in the southern portion of our state in the wooded hills.

Believe it or not I see them in the fields by my house on the outer edge of Indianapolis.

You wanna piss off a Canadian Goose? Do some turkey calls. They will honk right back. Nasty buggers.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » October 10th, 2016, 4:25 pm

back in 2005 I lived near Turkey, Texas (home of Bob Wills) and had to drive through there to get just about anywhere. The turkeys lived along Turkey Creek and would amble out onto the highway any time they wanted to. These are wild turkeys and not escapees from a farm.

From 2007 to 2009 I lived in Pampa, Texas a couple hours north of Turkey. The road that I used to bypass the downtown area had a golf course where about 40 turkeys lived. Twice a day they would wander across the 4-lane bypass road to get to the proverbial "other side" where they seemed to like it better when the golfers were active. It might take them 10 minutes to get all 40 to cross over your 2 lanes. I think driving through would have just killed them.

OldGlory
Grass Type: Carl Spackler Hybred: KBG; Featherbed Bent; Northern California Sensemilia

Post by OldGlory » October 10th, 2016, 8:46 pm

They make the news around here at least once a year...Turkeys terrorizing a neighborhood. Mailmen attacked. Turkeys chasing adults. I never understood that. If a turkey attacked me it would be on the carving board that night.

https://www.boston.com/news/animals/201 ... foxborough

http://patch.com/massachusetts/falmouth ... -mailman-0

Cyrus
Grass Type: Zoysia

Post by Cyrus » October 13th, 2016, 2:59 pm

We have loads of Turkey here in CT. I see them all the time while walking my dog off-leash in the deep woods. Funny, he knows what they are because he is on a "Bravo" raw food diet and he gets 4lbs of either Turkey or Chicken on weekdays and Beef on weekends. So when I tell him Turkey breakfast he runs over to eat. When we see Turkeys in the wild and I say Turkeys he knows those are his breakfast and dinner! Saw my first Bob Cat 2 weeks ago. It was very healthy and about 50lbs +/-. I don't believe it was ever challenged, so when my dog ran toward him he held his ground until about 20 yards and then decided that 145lbs of GSD was not a match that he wanted to test so he took off. Other than that, we have more deer here than can possibly survive and without legal hunting here they have to resort to invading our gardens for their food.