Lawsuit for truck ruts in lawn?

This is the place to discuss issues not related to lawn and gardening
LTCM
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Lawsuit for truck ruts in lawn?

Post by LTCM » April 3rd, 2017, 12:11 am

Been thinking about this thread for a while, and wanted to follow up. My wife and I decided to let the incident go. In the end, we didn't need to utilize legal channels to make our point - two cops cars sitting in front of his house for almost an hour, while the officers educated him on the situation, got our point across. To clear up a few items:

My county places no time limit on street parking. It states specifically that cars can be parked on the street for any length of time if they do so in the correct manner.
My car had been out there for less than three hours before his actions.
The neighbor in question lives a few houses down. In no way was I blocking his, or anyone eases, driveway or mailbox.
Our county legal system allows for the recovery of filing fees.
Dchall_San_Antonio wrote:
December 11th, 2016, 8:02 pm
You don't need an attorney. You need a priest to remind you what you learned in Sunday School. You learned it in one of the three following ways.
  • One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.
  • One should not treat others in ways that one would not like to be treated.
  • What you wish upon others, you wish upon yourself.
The lady is getting old. Most people treat the elderly in a kind way. Defer to her frailty and move your car. How would you feel if you left your car there and she crashed into it killing someone in her car? Sure, you are legally correct; however, you are morally questionable.
Bless your heart. If she isn't able to safely navigate suburban streets anymore, maybe she shouldn't be driving?

ndlutz
Grass Type: Midnight/Bewitched/Prosperity KBG Front, Northern Mix Back
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by ndlutz » April 5th, 2017, 9:40 am

I'm glad to hear you decided to let this go. I think it's going to be best not only for your neighbor, but also for you.

I'm sorry that this happened to you, though. It's a shame.

Abyss
Grass Type: Midnight II and Northstar out back
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by Abyss » April 13th, 2017, 9:47 pm

How many times have you been driving and not noticed something and had to swerve a little at the last second. Imagine being old, and the road you've traveled a million times now has a car that is parked in that path. She probably has said something to him many times about almost hitting it and he overreacted. I'm sure it's a little of the person he is as well.

My advice, let it go. It's more fight then its worth. Fix it, move your car if possible, write him a letter explaining that he handled the situation wrong, and how he could of handled it better, and the damage that he created that you now have to fix because of how he handled the situation. Say something caring about his wife.

Don't fight him with fire, make him feel bad for what he has done.

At the very least, give them a very endearing, over the top hand wave when they drive by