New guy just saying "Hello!".

This is the place to discuss issues not related to lawn and gardening
MikeMikeMike
Grass Type: TTTF, PR, Fine Fescue
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

New guy just saying "Hello!".

Post by MikeMikeMike » March 13th, 2017, 4:52 pm

I'm new to the forum and I just wanted to say hello to everyone. A bit about me for inquiring minds... I've got three animals err... I mean kids (4yo, 2yo and 11months). Originally from Long Beach, CA but now living in Noblesville, Indiana (just north of Indianapolis. I work at home doing project managment and digital marketing for a company that serves e-commerce clients... :sleep: I've always been into landscape design, lawn care, gardening, etc. but I've never owned a place where I could get outside and really do anything. We bought our first home in December and I've been reading and watching everything I can find to learn about lawn care ever since. This site has been great, I've been lurking in the background reading a lot of posts on here.

I might post about my lawn (it's horrendous) in the cool season grass section (would that be the right place?). There are a lot of problems so it would be nice just to give everyone a synopsis of what I'm dealing with, what my plan is and to also get some general thoughts. But for now I just wanted to introduce myself.

Take care! :hello:

~ Mike

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: New guy just saying "Hello!".

Post by andy10917 » March 13th, 2017, 7:40 pm

Welcome, Mike! Don't fret over where to put a thread - if it isn't attracting attention/responses, a Mod or Admin will offer to move it for you. And you wouldn't be the first to post a "horrendous" lawn here.

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Post by bpgreen » March 13th, 2017, 8:01 pm

Welcome!

g-man
Grass Type: Mix (mostly KBG)

Post by g-man » March 13th, 2017, 10:28 pm

Welcome Mike.

There are a few of us from the Indy area. Yes in our region we have cool season grass, so use that forum. There is a lot great info on the site and good folks to help and guide. Getting your soil tested is one of the first key steps to good lawn. The soil forum has the instructions to follow.

MikeMikeMike
Grass Type: TTTF, PR, Fine Fescue

Post by MikeMikeMike » March 14th, 2017, 12:07 am

g-man wrote:
March 13th, 2017, 10:28 pm
Welcome Mike.

There are a few of us from the Indy area. Yes in our region we have cool season grass, so use that forum. There is a lot great info on the site and good folks to help and guide. Getting your soil tested is one of the first key steps to good lawn. The soil forum has the instructions to follow.
I thought I noticed a handful of people from the area, that's great. We moved out from CA December of 2015. We were renting in Noblesville and fell in love with the location, the house we bought was only a couple miles away from the rental. I got a soil test done at the Soil and Water Conservation District before I read anything on the soil forum. I just got the results back last week.

jm1495
Grass Type: Cool Season Mix
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Some Experience

Post by jm1495 » March 31st, 2017, 3:29 pm

Welcome Mike!

I posted on another thread you commented on but thought I would post here as well. Purdue has some great information regarding growing turf in your area. Check out https://turf.purdue.edu/homeowner.html