Other hobbies?

This is the place to discuss issues not related to lawn and gardening
Yossarian
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Other hobbies?

Post by Yossarian » March 15th, 2017, 9:08 pm

What do you guys do when you aren't doing lawn stuff? I've recently returned to one of my greatest passions, rock climbing.

MikeMikeMike
Grass Type: TTTF, PR, Fine Fescue

Re: Other hobbies?

Post by MikeMikeMike » March 15th, 2017, 11:51 pm

I like my feet planted firmly on terra firma. :P I really enjoy disk golf, although I've rarely played since the kids were born... funny how that happens. I was pretty excited to see a small 9 "hole" course at the park in the subdivision where I just bought a house.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » March 16th, 2017, 1:46 am

Besides flower gardening?

I've been a soap maker for years--the Back to Basics kind with oils, caustic lye, water, and a great deal of stirring. I haven't purchased bar soap, shampoo, laundry detergent, or any other soap product in longer than I can remember (and I'm always shocked by the prices when I'm in the store and think to look!) I'm also shocked by the incredibly poor quality of soap when using it in other people's houses. Factory made soap is crap.

I'm also a hobbyist chandler, mostly jar candles but I can do pillars. I work with both soy wax and paraffin. Currently burning in my office as I type this are a vanilla/rose mix and a black cherry.

I read constantly. I tend to prefer fiction, but I do get around.

Pennstater2005
Grass Type: 5 way PR back/Mix in the front

Post by Pennstater2005 » March 16th, 2017, 6:11 am

I enjoy investing and post over at bogleheads. Golf and kayaking as well although with 3 kids that's a big reason why my lawn has become a new hobby!

Tsmith
Grass Type: KBG Bewitched Monostand

Post by Tsmith » March 16th, 2017, 10:03 am

I started getting back into high or higher end home audio and video over the last 6 months or so with the plan of finally finishing my downstairs and moving all my equipment back down there after downsizing back in 2010 for a variety of reasons.

I use my system for both home theater and 2 channel music listening but home audio and video can be just as addicting and insane as lawn care as I find myself constantly chasing ways to improve the quality and less time just sitting back and enjoying what I have.

I used to have a projector with a 100" screen and an audio system that sounded like the music was being played right in front of me but I doubt I'll ever get back to that though as budget simply won't allow it. Right now I'm concentrating on the audio part which I hope to have complete when downstairs is done that way I'll just need the TV as I won't be going the projector route.

Grass Type: Quack, No Mix

Post by 1977212 » March 16th, 2017, 11:47 am

I buy Starcraft jet stars and jets from the 60's and restore them. Sometimes can get them for free or next to nothing, a couple hundred in wood and paint makes them almost new again. These boats are always a head turner everywhere I go, you don't see many on the water anymore.

Oh and fishing, always fishing too.

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Post by bpgreen » March 19th, 2017, 11:42 pm

I ferment things. I brew my own beer, and somehow that led to fermenting various foods and drinks.

I've made yogurt, kefir, sauerkraut (homemade is really different from the stuff you buy), kimchi, natto, and tempeh. I've got a batch of miso going now, but miso takes a minimum of 6 months, so I won't know if this worked for a while.

I got into beer enough that I grow my own hops. On a side note, if you're a home brewer and want some rhizomes, let me know. I've got Cascade, Centennial, Hallertauer, Nugget, Perle. It's kind of a crapshoot which will produce rhizomes. I've also got some neomexicanus plants, but those are new, so I don't expect rhizomes for a few years.

killerv
Grass Type: Centipede/SA

Post by killerv » March 20th, 2017, 10:18 am

Makin' decoys

OldGlory
Grass Type: Carl Spackler Hybred: KBG; Featherbed Bent; Northern California Sensemilia

Post by OldGlory » March 21st, 2017, 5:28 am

Skiing, I run gates in the NASTAR course at Cranmore in NH. Shooting rifles and pistols at my local range. Saltwater fishing for stripers and tuna.

ericgautier
Grass Type: Front/Sides: Blueberry Monostand Back: TTTF+KBG

Post by ericgautier » March 21st, 2017, 3:44 pm

Photography. On weekends, I photograph weddings, events, etc. It is always fun capturing the moments throughout the day.

scottcgrable

Post by scottcgrable » March 21st, 2017, 5:11 pm

1977212 wrote:
March 16th, 2017, 11:47 am
I buy Starcraft jet stars and jets from the 60's and restore them. Sometimes can get them for free or next to nothing, a couple hundred in wood and paint makes them almost new again. These boats are always a head turner everywhere I go, you don't see many on the water anymore.

Oh and fishing, always fishing too.
I just spent an hour or so looking through some restorations. Looks like a fun project but a little more than just "a couple hundred in wood and paint" :shock: . I guess it depends on how you pick them. Cool none the less. Picture of yours?

Grass Type: Quack, No Mix

Post by 1977212 » March 21st, 2017, 11:08 pm

scottcgrable wrote:
March 21st, 2017, 5:11 pm
I just spent an hour or so looking through some restorations. Looks like a fun project but a little more than just "a couple hundred in wood and paint" :shock: . I guess it depends on how you pick them. Cool none the less. Picture of yours?
i agree people like to go crazy with restoring these things.

it really depends on what ones you pick, I've done 8 boats so far and average about $200 into them plus the cost of the boat. The one I kept for myself only needed half a floor, original paint, doesn't look to be beached ever. If you keep an eye out there's decent ones around that don't need tons of work.

scottcgrable

Post by scottcgrable » March 23rd, 2017, 4:37 pm

1977212 wrote:
March 21st, 2017, 11:08 pm
scottcgrable wrote:
March 21st, 2017, 5:11 pm
i agree people like to go crazy with restoring these things.

it really depends on what ones you pick, I've done 8 boats so far and average about $200 into them plus the cost of the boat. The one I kept for myself only needed half a floor, original paint, doesn't look to be beached ever. If you keep an eye out there's decent ones around that don't need tons of work.
Sorry to keep this going but I can't seem to PM. That's a great looking boat! I love the old school feel of them. There seem to be a number of them on the east coast near me but I would have no idea on how to gauge if I am getting myself into a huge project or not(https://raleigh.craigslist.org/bpo/6037151902.html or https://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/6020890613.html). I love the idea of getting an older boat for under 5k and putting a little maintenance into it(I dont have time for a restoration). I don't need all of the bells and whistles that come with the new 60k+ boats. I just need the ability to get in and out of the water, maybe pull a tube, listen to some music, and a little reliability. Let me know if you ever happen to see a descent looking one around my area. Thanks!

flyin-lowe
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 2 acre-5 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by flyin-lowe » June 9th, 2017, 9:00 pm

I've got more hobbies then I do time. I have a flock of 9 chickens, I have 15 beehives, I have a vegetable garden. When I am not tending to those I am coaching little league baseball. I also spend time swinging and AT Pro metal detector. That's when I'm not fishing and deer hunting. Needless to say I usually don't get any down time in the summer until after dark.