Who makes their own soap?

This is the place to discuss issues not related to lawn and gardening
PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Who makes their own soap?

Post by PSU4ME » May 14th, 2017, 3:56 pm

I'd like to do this as my mother does a lot with essential oils. Would love to see who does this and get some non marketed 101 tips!

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Re: Who makes their own soap?

Post by bpgreen » May 14th, 2017, 10:03 pm

I make my own lotion, but part of the reason I do is to make it without any scents or color. That seems to help my skin (possible/ probable allergies). A lot of ingredients are available at the same places. I'll try to find some of the places where I've bought ingredients. I bought in bulk the last time, so it has been quite a while.

I think morpheuspa makes soap.

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Post by bpgreen » May 14th, 2017, 10:15 pm

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » May 15th, 2017, 9:57 am

My wife makes our own detergent, and it costs 1/10 of what the brand names do and works better.

We invested in a good blender to shred up the fels naptha bars. She also uses the 20 mule team borax so we wait until the hardware stores have big sales and stock up on soap and micronutrient supplies. :D

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » May 15th, 2017, 1:44 pm

I do. Our own soap, detergent, dishwasher detergent, and just about anything else soap-based. I'm currently using a nice evergreen scent in the shower, but I'm about to get bored with that and shift to vetiver.

What kind did you want to make? MP involves simply re-melting the base, adding any scent or color you wish, and pouring it, letting it harden, and then using it. No lye handling is required; the factory did that for you. It's a good place to start, allows for good levels of creativity, but you have no control over the oils used or the characteristics of the soap itself (which is a bit too heavily cleansing for my taste).

CP and HP both start from the base oils. HP is a bit more rustic and, theoretically, available for use faster. CP absolutely has to cure a minimum of 4 weeks, but it's smoother, more polished looking, and the method I usually use. Both involve using lye, but both allow for the widest level of control.

Most other methods are derivatives of the above (example, CPOP, which is Cold Process that's then popped into a warmish oven and gelled and cured as Oven Process, hence CPOP).

You'll probably want to start someplace like here: http://www.soapmakingforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=47

PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by PSU4ME » May 15th, 2017, 1:48 pm

Thank you guys! I would like to get our feet wet with some laundry detergent and a simple soap but would like to evolve into making our own blends.....using the different oils and scents.

I'll take a look at some of the links you guys posted and look to get a detergent recipe first.

Thank You