Thermacell mosquito repellents review

This is the place to discuss issues not related to lawn and gardening
Swamp_Fox
Grass Type: KBG, Creeping Red, Rye
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Thermacell mosquito repellents review

Post by Swamp_Fox » May 31st, 2017, 3:34 am

It's that time of year up in zone 5a again, the bugs are coming out in force. I decided to take a different approach this year and ordered a few Thermacell mosquito repellent devices, all I can say is WOW. I was lucky enough to have a unit out in perfect sunlight conditions the other night, I could see the bugs flying away from myself and the unit. Objectively, I can see the unit not working fantastic is the wind. Thus far I've kept mine upwind of me and had great luck. I live in Lymes disease country, scientists are now speculating that mosquitoes that bite an animal infected with Lymes, that in turn bite a human could possibly spread Lymes. Now more than ever it's important to keep mosquitoes away. For those that haven't tried a Thermacell, I'd highly recommend it!

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Thermacell mosquito repellents review

Post by andy10917 » May 31st, 2017, 8:15 am

There are no documented cases of mosquito-transferred Lyme Disease (not Lymes - it's named after the town of Lyme, CT where the first breakouts were documented). Yes, there is speculation and "possibility".

Lyme Disease is literally front-page news in this area (Orange County, NY) - here's a link to yesterday's front page of the newspaper http://www.recordonline.com/news/201705 ... -in-region. My wife has the chronic version that just keeps coming back despite literally going to one of the top, top infectious disease doctors in the country. I have friends that have lost 80% of their hearing due to the nerve damage. People around here wage war on ticks with Bifenthrin like it was candy.

Swamp_Fox
Grass Type: KBG, Creeping Red, Rye

Post by Swamp_Fox » May 31st, 2017, 11:56 pm

As I stated in my previous post the link between mosquitoes and Lyme's disease is speculation. IMHO, I would prefer an ounce of prevention to a pound of cure any day. I'm sorry your wife and associates have been going the the troubles they have. I had a heck of a bullseye on me last fall, thankfully I caught it quick and was able to resolve it. Anyways, the Thermacell is a winner in my book for it's intended purpose; mosquitoes. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a solution other than deet, citronella candles, or fogging.

killerv
Grass Type: Centipede/SA

Post by killerv » June 2nd, 2017, 8:04 pm

Been using one since the early 2000s, before you could buy them. One of their first reps gave me to try out in the early stages, got over 10 years out of my first one, got to where you'd have to click it 50 times to start. Replaced it a few years back, best things ever, I cannot hunt in the spring/summer without one. I did however buy one of the lanterns recently, it did not get as hot as the original handheld and pad would never turn white after being on for hours, and lets just say it didn't work. I returned it without issue. They take about 15 minutes to get going good, if you hunt, turn it on before you get to the stand. I've never had an issue with deer smelling it but as good as their noses are, I only use it when necessary to be on the safe side. "Flying teeth" and "noseeums" can make a bowhunt get miserable quick.