Who carries a knife every day?

This is the place to discuss issues not related to lawn and gardening
Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

Who carries a knife every day?

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » June 12th, 2017, 12:10 pm

When I was a kid my dad kept giving me his folding knives from when he was a kid. As he would find them hidden away he would pass them on to me. The problem for me was I was blessed with wimpy thumbnails and could never open his knives without bending my thumbnail backwards. So I never carried a knife...until now, 55 years later. There was an FBI agent at the Super Bowl party I went to. They carry the Kershaw brand of folding knives with SpeedSafe opening. After seeing his I bought my knife oriented daughter a Kershaw Leek.

One weekend she left it at home by mistake and I started carrying it. It felt small in my hand, but soon I realized how much I could use a point and a sharp edge for tasks I was avoiding. When I returned it to her I had to get something for me. Walmart sells the Kershaw Filter for $14, so I tried that. It didn't feel right, and I did not go crazy about the blade shape, so I bought a Kershaw Amplitude.

The Amplitude is only 1/4 inch longer than the Leek but feels much better in my hand. I like the deep carry pocket clip better on the Amplitude over the Leek.

SNOWBOB11
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Not Specified

Re: Who carries a knife every day?

Post by SNOWBOB11 » June 12th, 2017, 1:21 pm

I've carried a pocket knife with me every day for most of my life. Right now I have something similar in size to the one you took a picture of. There useful for all sorts of things. From opening packages to scraping weeds out of the curb. lol

GeorgiaDad
Grass Type: Frontyard: Award, NuChicago, Midnight. kbg Backyard: Mutt Fescue with a little Midnight kbg thrown in.
Lawn Size: Not Specified

Post by GeorgiaDad » June 13th, 2017, 12:55 pm

I still carry a Buck knife I bought in 1977. Well....not everyday like I use to. But pretty close.

Swamp_Fox
Grass Type: KBG, Creeping Red, Rye

Post by Swamp_Fox » June 14th, 2017, 7:02 am

I carry a Microtech Scarab. I love it and the S35VN blade that it sports. Holds an edge well and is easy to sharpen.

llO0DQLE
Grass Type: KBG and Creeping Red Fescue
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Post by llO0DQLE » June 18th, 2017, 9:48 pm

My current EDC is rotating between two knives I got late last year. The Kershaw Fatback and the Cold Steel Recon. I love them both. The speed assist on the Fatback is nice as well as it's nice point and handle. Overall good size for EDC and the cheap but easy to sharpen steel is nice. The Recon is very robust and has a very ergonomic handle and the CTS XHP steel is nice. I used to carry a CRKT M16 for the longest time before these two and a Spyderco Police before that. The Police was too nice to EDC. I loved the M16 as well but is not as easy to deploy but not hard once you get used to it.

GaryCinChicago
Grass Type: KBG

Post by GaryCinChicago » June 19th, 2017, 7:48 pm

I'm an old boy scout. I always carry a knife.