DEAL: Dr Earth Super Natural Fertilizer @ HD

This is the place to discuss issues not related to lawn and gardening
micvog
Grass Type: Mazama Monostand
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

DEAL: Dr Earth Super Natural Fertilizer @ HD

Post by micvog » October 16th, 2017, 9:06 am

For those with the ability to store product off-season, my local Home Depot has Dr. Earth Super Natural Lawn Fertilizer (NPK of 9-0-5) on clearance at $2.90 for 18#. YMMV.

I don't know the regular price. Their website has the 40# bag for $56, and Amazon has 18# for $36.

Per the manufacturer's website, the fertilizer is derived from "wild-caught Alaskan Fish Meal, Wild-caught Alaskan Fish Bone Meal, High Country Feather Meal, Naturally Mined Potassium Sulfate, Valley Grown Alfalfa Meal, Calcium Sulfate (gypsum) and MicroActive™ Micronutrient-rich Seaweed Extract".

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Re: DEAL: Dr Earth Super Natural Fertilizer @ HD

Post by TimmyG » October 16th, 2017, 12:59 pm

Wow! Impressive. Brickseek doesn't show either size bag in stock at any stores in my area.

micvog
Grass Type: Mazama Monostand
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Post by micvog » October 16th, 2017, 4:39 pm

FWIW, using Internet #205863766, my HD also shows out of stock, but they had an entire pallet yesterday afternoon.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by ken-n-nancy » October 18th, 2017, 9:25 pm

Tonight I picked up 6 bags of the Dr. Earth Super Natural Lawn Fertilizer, 18 pounds each, 9-0-5, for the clearance price of $2.90 each at Home Depot. The price wasn't posted with the 6 bags I found sitting on a pallet in the corner, but I took a picture of the UPC code and asked for a price check at the customer service desk, which revealed it was $2.90 per bag as reported here.

For nitrogen, it rivals the price of Bay State Fertilizer, which is $3.50 for a 40# bag. (The Bay State Fertilizer is $2.19 per # N; the clearance-priced Dr. Earth is $1.79 per #N.)

The other plus, which caused me to get it, is that the K is from potassium sulfate (sulfate of potash). Our lawn with sandy soil perennially needs potassium.

I'll plan to use the Dr. Earth as my initial fertilizer in the spring, as it will be slow release (all of the N is water-insoluble according to the label.)

I am a little worried that storing it in my attached garage may be a problem. It really does stink of dead fish. Hopefully it doesn't attract bears, skunks, and raccoons! (We have all of those around...)

JohnP
Grass Type: KBG Mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by JohnP » October 18th, 2017, 10:20 pm

ken-n-nancy wrote:
October 18th, 2017, 9:25 pm
I am a little worried that storing it in my attached garage may be a problem. It really does stink of dead fish. Hopefully it doesn't attract bears, skunks, and raccoons! (We have all of those around...)
My wife complained once that the Milorganite in the garage stunk. I put them in a large empty tote I had and put the lid on, then rain a piece of painter's tape along the edge to seal. She didn't complain again, I could still smell it faintly though. Dunno if it would be enough for the Dr. Earth though. We don't have bears around here, but do have the others.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by ken-n-nancy » October 19th, 2017, 7:27 am

JohnP wrote:
October 18th, 2017, 10:20 pm
ken-n-nancy wrote:
October 18th, 2017, 9:25 pm
My wife complained once that the Milorganite in the garage stunk. I put them in a large empty tote I had and put the lid on, then rain a piece of painter's tape along the edge to seal. She didn't complain again, I could still smell it faintly though. Dunno if it would be enough for the Dr. Earth though. We don't have bears around here, but do have the others.
I'll have to give something like that a go -- stepped into the garage this morning, and the smell just about knocked me over. I'm thinking maybe a big tote stored outside under a tarp to keep the elements off -- this stuff really reeks!

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by TimmyG » October 19th, 2017, 9:48 am

I finally swung by the Home Depot in Salem, NH, yesterday after filling my wife's Subaru Outback to the brim with 75% off shrubs (and trees and perennials) at Lowe's. Lo and behold, there was an empty bay clearly labeled with the discounted Dr. Earth Super Natural Lawn Fertilizer for $2.90. No way I was fitting a single bag in the car, so no immediate loss. However, there was one resealed, damaged bag above the bay. The contents felt more like fluffy peat moss than a granular product. That can't be right. Anyone care to comment? Did someone stuff this bag with some other product?

JohnP
Grass Type: KBG Mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by JohnP » October 19th, 2017, 1:00 pm

ken-n-nancy wrote:
October 19th, 2017, 7:27 am
I'll have to give something like that a go -- stepped into the garage this morning, and the smell just about knocked me over. I'm thinking maybe a big tote stored outside under a tarp to keep the elements off -- this stuff really reeks!
Pry a nonstarter for me then if the Milo gets at the wife. Someone told me the best stuff smells the worst lol