Neighbor comments about “chemicals”

This is the place to discuss issues not related to lawn and gardening
KBGkicksazz
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Neighbor comments about “chemicals”

Post by KBGkicksazz » August 12th, 2018, 4:36 pm

New subdivision and been working hard with all new shrubs beds, irrigation, and the lawn obviously.

Had neighbor walk by while tending the flowers today and he said “yeah people noticed you had dying weeds and are worried about the chemicals required to kill stuff”

No matter what you can’t win. No discussion, no thought that others are responsible with herbicides, no discussion about how mt shrub beds and healthy lawn actually prevent run off and filter out rain water.

Instead it’s assumed I’m putting toxic chemicals into the groundwater.

Most of my neighborhood has lawns that a majority crabgrass I’m reallt the only dedicated lawn guy.

I’ve actually thought about putting a pamphlet together about the benefits of a healthy lawn as I fully suspect this won’t be the last time I hear about it.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Neighbor comments about “chemicals”

Post by turf_toes » August 12th, 2018, 9:47 pm

Just carry a one-gallon sprayer full of water around with you when you’re working in the yard.

If someone comments about the stuff your applying to the yard, tell him it’s harmless and then spray him. ;) I’m only joking here, of course.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » August 13th, 2018, 1:10 am

I have, upon occasion, eaten out of my spreader when talking to somebody about the lawn. Since it's just soybean meal, that's hardly a problem.
Had neighbor walk by while tending the flowers today and he said “yeah people noticed you had dying weeds and are worried about the chemicals required to kill stuff”
Translation: I noticed you had dying weeds and I want to whine about the chemicals you're using because, being unable to perform the simplest lookup about them, they concern me and it's your job to explain it to me. I won't listen, of course, but I'll happily waste your time.

Yeah. That one deserves, "It's Weed-B-Gon."

"But what's in it?"

"I'm sure they have that information online. Pardon me, sport, I have to go weed the gardens."

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » August 13th, 2018, 11:18 am

"yeah people noticed you had dying weeds and are worried about the chemicals required to kill stuff"

Sounds like some gossipy neighbors, or a covertly aggressive person passing off his concerns on others. Whatever happened to people being able to civilly address their concerns with neighbors by talking directly to them kindly? I'd ask for names and put the onus on him to get educated.

KBGkicksazz

Post by KBGkicksazz » August 13th, 2018, 1:42 pm

Really not much I can do except it’s clear there’s always someone who will find something to complain about.

I’m sure they don’t mind driving by a well landscaped lawn.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » August 16th, 2018, 12:02 am

Unless it's a HOA, they can't force you to have a weedy lawn. :D

Fullheadofturf1234
Grass Type: KBG I think
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by Fullheadofturf1234 » August 16th, 2018, 6:17 am

That’s funny considering most of the pay a lawn service that puts donwn pretty much the same exact stuff for them minus the organic stuff.

I was thinking about using a sign on the front after I spray to be courteous of dog walkers though. I keep mine off their lawn when I see that sign.

KBGkicksazz

Post by KBGkicksazz » August 16th, 2018, 9:57 am

I’m actually surprised for my neighborhood that more people aren’t diligent with their lawns. It’s a new subdivision and they aren’t cheap homes. Almost all the lawns are mostly crabgrass.

My Wife said it’s probably envy as the lawn is looking nicer and nicer and so they just assume I must be using some massive amount of chemicals to get it this way.

Once lawn is fully in and I can start my preM regimen the herbicide use goes way down anyways.

We all have 1 acre or more lawns plus open space so there is no need for dogs to be on others properties. In my case I think putting out signs would just increase interest and/or criticism.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by andy10917 » August 16th, 2018, 10:25 am

I had someone with "lawn envy" ask me at a party if I used "tons of toxic stuff" to get the look my lawn has. I mentioned that I use herbicides like Tenacity/Certainty that are listed as "Reduced Risk", but cost $60 - $125 each for those properties. I asked if they would pay for the "reduced risk". I got "hell, no" as a response. Interesting how reduced risk drops way down their concern list when it hits THEIR wallet.

KBGkicksazz

Post by KBGkicksazz » August 16th, 2018, 12:09 pm

It’s also a little bit of timidness as they seem to assume it’s some complicated/mystery process.

But I do think it’s partly money as they just want to buy a 20 dollar bag of marvel mystery seed spread it around and wait for the unicorn lawn to grow.

If only it were that easy.
andy10917 wrote:
August 16th, 2018, 10:25 am
I had someone with "lawn envy" ask me at a party if I used "tons of toxic stuff" to get the look my lawn has. I mentioned that I use herbicides like Tenacity/Certainty that are listed as "Reduced Risk", but cost $60 - $125 each for those properties. I asked if they would pay for the "reduced risk". I got "hell, no" as a response. Interesting how reduced risk drops way down their concern list when it hits THEIR wallet.