Garage doors

This is the place to discuss issues not related to lawn and gardening
southern-ct-4
Grass Type: PR/FF/KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Garage doors

Post by southern-ct-4 » April 5th, 2019, 2:32 pm

I need to replace our 2 very old (8' x 7') doors.

We really like carriage style and were told to go with steel rather than wood. This is something along the lines of what we like (just an image from google): http://www.forestdoor.com/images/carria ... -white.jpg

We really like the 3 section doors so that the top windows are larger, but 2 estimates that I received (from a local company) were for $4k and $3k ($4k being vinyl overlay on steel, $3k being stamped steel).

If I do to a more traditional 4 section door (where the top windows are much smaller) it drops to $2,400 for pressed steel (they didn't offer the vinyl overlay in the 4 section).

Checking the HD website it seems that even the cheapest of doors they offer are almost $1k (with windows), so at least $2k for 2 doors, and those are basic looking doors. Their carriage house style doors get up to the same $3k or $4k quote that I received.

Is this just what this type of garage door costs?

Thank you.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Garage doors

Post by turf_toes » May 7th, 2019, 9:35 am

Yes. They’re more expensive

KBGkicksazz
Grass Type: KBG

Post by KBGkicksazz » May 12th, 2019, 6:24 am

I had overhead door company do mine. Get the insulated steel door.

The pic is of my detached garage but my two car garage on the house has the exact size same style door but it’s 9x7 instead of 8x7

The prices you are quoting are inline with what I got as the wood really jumps the price.

You only buy a garage door probably once during the life of the home. If your Budget can swing it and it’s clearly what you want then get it.

Buying a new construction house I had to make many of these choices over the last two years.

A decent steel door can look very close to a wood door and you don’t have to worry about rot. Definitely get an insulated steel door.

southern-ct-4 wrote:
April 5th, 2019, 2:32 pm
I need to replace our 2 very old (8' x 7') doors.

We really like carriage style and were told to go with steel rather than wood. This is something along the lines of what we like (just an image from google): http://www.forestdoor.com/images/carria ... -white.jpg

We really like the 3 section doors so that the top windows are larger, but 2 estimates that I received (from a local company) were for $4k and $3k ($4k being vinyl overlay on steel, $3k being stamped steel).

If I do to a more traditional 4 section door (where the top windows are much smaller) it drops to $2,400 for pressed steel (they didn't offer the vinyl overlay in the 4 section).

Checking the HD website it seems that even the cheapest of doors they offer are almost $1k (with windows), so at least $2k for 2 doors, and those are basic looking doors. Their carriage house style doors get up to the same $3k or $4k quote that I received.

Is this just what this type of garage door costs?

Thank you.

southern-ct-4
Grass Type: PR/FF/KBG

Post by southern-ct-4 » May 12th, 2019, 10:02 am

Thank you . That's a nice looking door