Key West

This is the place to discuss issues not related to lawn and gardening
Pway
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Key West

Post by Pway » April 7th, 2019, 5:47 pm

Going to Key West next weekend for a few days. Any recommendations (Duval St, Hemingway house, Truman house, snorkel, other ?)

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Key West

Post by andy10917 » April 7th, 2019, 9:10 pm

I have a place in Key Largo (MM 92.5 ocean side), and I'll tell you what those in the Keys say about Key West. It's a place that everyone should see once -- once. It can be wild at times, but it's limited beyond drinking and souvenirs. Check other areas along the way, including Key Largo, Islamorada, and Marathon.

Also, be aware that in the Lower Keys there is still substantial damage from Big Pine Key for awhile, from Hurricane Irma. Key West is fine (it was on the weaker side of the storm).

PS: sunsets in the Keys are fabulous, but the best places are on the Bay side. There are daily sunset celebrations (sunset is best seen through beer goggles). Restaurants are actually better on the Ocean side, as they have to be better since they don't have the sunset.

Pway

Post by Pway » April 8th, 2019, 8:46 am

Thanks Andy. I remember you mentioning you had a place in Key Largo and were concerned when Irma went through. I hear your comment about visiting “once.” My daughter picked Key West because we haven’t been there before and she wanted to try someplace new. I was hoping for a bit more laid back place but I’ll make do with a couple good books and drinks—not necessarily in that order. Thanks again.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » April 8th, 2019, 7:03 pm

I remember you mentioning you had a place in Key Largo and were concerned when Irma went through.
$87,000 in damages later...

Luckily, we had it well-insured.

Pway

Post by Pway » April 8th, 2019, 9:22 pm

andy10917 wrote:
April 8th, 2019, 7:03 pm
I remember you mentioning you had a place in Key Largo and were concerned when Irma went through.
$87,000 in damages later...

Luckily, we had it well-insured.
Glad you were well insured. Do you get down there often and will you ever retire permanately down there? Given your love for lawns I’m guessing it wouldn’t be a permanent residence.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » April 8th, 2019, 9:34 pm

I dunno. I go back and forth about whether it would be a permanent home. I get very involved down there - on the Board, lead two committees and participate in two more. I don't get down there enough being a consultant, but my wife gets there more than I do. There is no soil in the Keys - it's crushed coral on top of solid coral.