Alfalfa food plot for Deer

This is the place to discuss issues not related to lawn and gardening
likeasponge
Grass Type: Bewitched/prosperity
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

Alfalfa food plot for Deer

Post by likeasponge » April 21st, 2019, 10:48 pm

I'm helping out with a 1.5 acre plot that has seen some real nice bucks on the game cam, but they are far and few (just after sunset). The plot has been in its natural state for about 5 years now. It seems to do pretty good for the natural grasses there now. But we'd love to plant and have a lush green stand to really bring them in. The consensus was to plant alfalfa and clover and no plans to harvest any it. Just let the deer,elk and other wild game enjoy it. No water is available to the plot. It gets enough sun and its not flat land.

The first step was the soil test (from logan labs). I was going to post it here for some recommendations if anyone can help? (not sure if I should post it in the soil section for the st6 team)
Step 2: glyphosate the plot. We did that a week ago. Figured we would till it this week, rake sorta smooth followed but some more glyphosate in a week or so.
Step 3: This is where I'm looking for guidance. Do soil amendments need to be tilled in for crops? Does alfalfa like nitrogen throughout the summer?

I know we have a few deer hunters in here. Does anyone have a food plot? Plant any alfalfa and clover?

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Alfalfa food plot for Deer

Post by andy10917 » April 21st, 2019, 11:21 pm

Feel free to post a soil test in the soils forum. i doubt any nutrients will need to be tilled in.

likeasponge
Grass Type: Bewitched/prosperity
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

Re: Alfalfa food plot for Deer

Post by likeasponge » April 22nd, 2019, 10:46 am

Thanks, Ill get it posted.
Good to know the amendments wont need (most likely) to be tilled in.
We plan on tilling just to break up the old grass clumps and try to get a good seed to soil contact.