How Is Everyone Doing? (Coronavirus)

This is the place to discuss issues not related to lawn and gardening
DevilDawg81
Grass Type: KBG, PRG, Fescue mix
Lawn Size: 2 acre-5 acre
Level: Some Experience

Re: How Is Everyone Doing? (Coronavirus)

Post by DevilDawg81 » September 23rd, 2020, 5:02 pm

ken-n-nancy wrote:
September 23rd, 2020, 8:10 am
DevilDawg81 wrote:
September 23rd, 2020, 7:36 am
I went into the office about a month ago and my heater was still running from March ...
Ouch! That sounds expensive! If it was an electric space heater, I'm surprised it hadn't caught on fire!
Haha I should’ve been clearer. My office has a small unit that has a thermostat. I still had it set on heat and it ran all summer. So yes it probably was expensive, but it is not a space heater.

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » January 8th, 2021, 1:56 pm

My wife and I both got it. She never had any symptoms. I had minor diarrhea for 3 days prior to Thanksgiving. T-Day morning I awoke with severe chills. She got on the phone and found a quick-test lab open 40 miles away. We both tested positive. I did not really feel like driving to the lab, but I felt fine to drive home. The doc at the lab prescribed a Z-Pak, albuterol inhaler, and prednisone. I only took the Z-Pak since I felt fine otherwise. There was no coughing, shortness of breath, or heart racing. No other symptoms at all. The very worst of it was the chills, and then I seemed to be fine.
So how did we get it? She is a teacher in a class full of 2nd graders. Everyone wears a mask all day except for recess. The district allows them to crawl all over each other at recess, because they are outdoors. I might add that we are in a Trump state in a Trump county in a Trump city and school district, so they seem to be following the rules of the jungle. I'm retired and home all day. She does the shopping, so we're figuring she got it either at school or at the grocery store and brought it home.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by MorpheusPA » January 8th, 2021, 5:30 pm

A friend of mine has it now, but she got it taking exams and presenting her Masters thesis.

She's...not so great, but managing. She's also 23. Fortunately, the closest I've been to her is Discord and Zoom, so there's no chance we've gotten it. The closest I've been to another human being other than at home is my pharmacist, and we had a blast shield between us.

Masbustelo
Grass Type: Mazama KBG
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by Masbustelo » January 8th, 2021, 6:15 pm

I had it last March. I felt tired and had a cough for quite awhile. It isn't on my concern list anymore.I'm in a low risk category. I realize others aren't. I don't wear masks and don't plan to get vaccinated. Or at least I'll go last. I hope everyone else is doing well.

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Post by bpgreen » January 9th, 2021, 2:21 am

At least 5 families in my neighborhood have had it. All had mild cases, but at least one person is a covid long hauler. She got it in early July and still had symptoms a recently as a month ago or so (I haven't asked her recently).

I work in IT and I'm close enough to retirement that I think I can safely say that I won't go into an office for work again.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by turf_toes » January 9th, 2021, 11:18 am

I know two folks who have died from Covid, probably a half dozen others with mild cases.

One of the guys who died, was 51, no pre-existing conditions and had run 81 marathons. He got sick, started recovering. reported feeling much better on a Sunday. He relapsed Tuesday and was dead by Thursday.

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both

Post by bpgreen » January 9th, 2021, 6:33 pm

turf_toes wrote:
January 9th, 2021, 11:18 am
I know two folks who have died from Covid, probably a half dozen others with mild cases.

One of the guys who died, was 51, no pre-existing conditions and had run 81 marathons. He got sick, started recovering. reported feeling much better on a Sunday. He relapsed Tuesday and was dead by Thursday.
I also know two people who've died. Both were high risk. I know of at least 5 families in my neighborhood who got hit. All had cases that were considered mild, but one caught it in early July and is still having problems. She's relatively young (30s) with no preexisting conditions. She told me her sister in law got it and now has heart problems and her nephew (17 years old) now has lung problems.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by andy10917 » January 12th, 2021, 9:53 pm

I felt like someone lifted a big weight off of me when I got an appointment to get my Covid vaccine, minutes after the law changed in NY. January 22nd is my lucky day!

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by andy10917 » January 23rd, 2021, 10:27 pm

Vaccine shot #1 done (without any side effects and done in no time) and Shot #2 scheduled for Feb 12.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » January 24th, 2021, 12:06 am

Congrats! Still waitin', but I'm not ancient, so... :-)

edslawn
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by edslawn » January 24th, 2021, 10:03 pm

andy10917 wrote:
January 23rd, 2021, 10:27 pm
Vaccine shot #1 done (without any side effects and done in no time) and Shot #2 scheduled for Feb 12.
Great news!

bpgreen

Post by bpgreen » January 25th, 2021, 1:47 am

Congrats on shot #1. I'm under 65 with none of the health issues that cause problems.

According to one site, my daughter will get the vaccine long before I do.

But I'm ok with that. I'm not old enough to get the vaccine early, but I'm old enough for Costco's senior hours. And my grocery store has free pickup. The main things I'm missing are "real" visits with my daughter and swimming.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » January 25th, 2021, 2:21 am

Mom's appointment is Tuesday, but it was like pulling teeth to get that. She's going with her best friend, who has to get it Tuesday before surgery for breast cancer in early February. Right now, we're not too sure about second shots for either of them, but it's better than nothing.

Mine's up in the air (under 65, but a minor electrical heart defect, so...), so I simply build forts in the cellar out of cans of peas and toilet paper rolls and continue waiting. :-)

pristinegreen75
Grass Type: Bluegrass in back, Northern mix in front
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by pristinegreen75 » January 26th, 2021, 5:45 pm

We are really slow here in Jersey...I'm 69 yrs old and my phase haven't even opened yet. My wife (same age) has several medical issues..same deal. They are still working on essential workers. Maybe by end of Feb or March we will get it.