Want me back for a bit?

This is the place to discuss issues not related to lawn and gardening
MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Want me back for a bit?

Post by MorpheusPA » June 1st, 2020, 8:57 pm

Having just about lost my temper with the other forum once again--seriously, people, control your psychopaths--I'm about to do what I did last time, dump the soil test reads on somebody who pretends to know what she's doing, and head for the hills.

Anybody interested in (or really, really adverse) to having me back here for a while? I'm stuck home, being in the Pennsylvania hot-spot of the Coronavirus outbreak, so I'm furloughed through September at least.

Translation: I'm assuming I'm permanently laid off and they're not telling me that yet, and looking for a job. My boss confirms this is a smart way to play it and he, himself, while working from home, is also low on stuff to do and actively looking for another job. Lacking all three of his staff, he'd be next on the chopping block.

On the up side, I've seriously learned to paint better and will happily provide photos (which, for some reason, always suck), have expanded my knowledge of chemistry, biochemistry, and physics, can now design and build small electronics (which is probably not germane here, but I guess you never know), and a ton of other little things. I've also designed new soap recipes but again...probably not germane.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Re: Want me back for a bit?

Post by andy10917 » June 1st, 2020, 9:15 pm

I've also designed new soap recipes but again...probably not germane.
Since when have you ever been germane? :shock: If a person was germane, would they ever join a band of people that talk about lawns all day (and night)?

Welcome back! Now, kill off a few soil tests in the Soil Test Interpretation Queue, and we'll chat in the ST6 Forum...

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » June 1st, 2020, 9:26 pm

I said "germane," not "sane." I've never been sane.

So I should go tell this chick to go right ahead and prescribe gypsum to raise pH and tell people that urea is not an organic molecule. Check. :-)

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » June 1st, 2020, 9:38 pm

"Germane means "to be relevant to a topic under discussion". I've seen you wander to astrophysics in a question on BLSC. Gimme a break.

Ask her how she would tell the difference between a naturally-occurring Urea molecule and a synthetically-created Urea molecule. I don't know how you'd do it, and I suspect you don't know either.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » June 1st, 2020, 9:52 pm

There is no way. One principle of physics is that any given subatomic particle is indistinguishable from any other subatomic particle of the same type. Therefore, any atom of any element of the same atomic weight and charge status will be indistinguishable from any other atom.
Assuming that lemma, any atom of urea, whether generated by me, or a cow, or the Vigoro/Scotts factory using any process, will be indistinguishable from any other assuming they are assembled of identical atoms, not differing in atomic weight.
QED.

"I meant politically and by organic rules" and then turned into a glass cannon of insults when I called her on it and, frankly, just had had it with her. I didn't even bother to point out that urea is never usable under an organic program, technically, because she'd just twist again and Somehow Never Be Wrong.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » June 1st, 2020, 10:03 pm

OK - welcome back. ATY is a No-Drama, No-Flaming Zone. See you over in the ST6 Forum in a few minutes when I get your permissions fixed over there...

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by turf_toes » June 1st, 2020, 10:06 pm

Sorry for the late reply. I’ve been busy with work.

Of course you are welcome back. It’s great to see you posting again!

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » June 1st, 2020, 10:48 pm

Oh, no drama? Then I can't post any of my artwork. :-)

Take your time on my setup. Unlike TT, I am NOT busy with work and this part of PA isn't even open until next Friday anyway.

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Post by TimmyG » June 1st, 2020, 10:52 pm

Kick back. Stay a while!

While we have no history, Morph, your posts are what brought me here so many years ago. And since I don't read any other lawn forum, I'll ignore that you've been spending all your time with your other family rather than just taking a long break.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » June 1st, 2020, 10:54 pm

You should be set up now. I'm working at a Pharma now, and alternating periods of boredom and sheer terror in artificial intelligence and machine learning.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » June 1st, 2020, 11:03 pm

Hey, Timmy! Nice to meet you!

I was doing a stint as a tech writer and systems analyst and loved it, which included being in at 4 AM (I'm a morning person anyway) and crawling all over huge plastic-making machines to document approximately everything.

But, with the outbreak and downturn, they shutdown everything non-essential until we're green phase (September if we're lucky as I really can't do my job at home and they don't want anybody non-essential in there). And we won't be back if it doesn't upturn. Safer, given the...to keep the drama down, let's just say "current level of political uncertainty regarding the July economic bill and many other issues" to assume I'm permanently laid off. As noted above.

Fortunately, in this case I fell into cream with a boss boss who's a gem and has every plan on carting me along with him if at all possible and, if not, will be a superlative reference and is already a friend. So that just can't work out any better.

But, well...I loved that job. And, frankly, I've <i>done</i> everything else...

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Post by bpgreen » June 2nd, 2020, 1:25 am

Welcome back.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » June 2nd, 2020, 3:23 am

Thanks!

Dargin
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Post by Dargin » June 2nd, 2020, 4:55 pm

I've certainly spent my share of time reading and re-reading your posts and articles. I feel like I should owe you money.

Great seeing you around, man!
Stay safe.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » June 2nd, 2020, 6:02 pm

Please note the "currently unemployed" statement above.

My address is...
:-)

Thanks! I'm keeping my head down for the next bit as we go yellow on Friday and (to the tune of Me and My Shadow) Me and My A-Fib don't want to end up in the ICU. Hopefully we'll continue to see a decrease in cases. If not, I'll just duck into my shell and live off canned ravioli.

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both

Post by bpgreen » June 5th, 2020, 1:53 am

Are you actively looking for work?

I don't know if my company is hiring now and i don't know if you'd be a good fit, but if you want to send me your resume, I can forward it on. I know we did this a few years ago, and it wasn't a good fit then, largely because of travel requirements, but travel is a thing of the past, so if you still have my email, you can send me an updated resume. I think I still get emails from gw (or elevat now owns them)

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » June 5th, 2020, 8:16 pm

Oh, thank you! Let me revise it and send it along. My experience has actually expanded considerably since then, including technical writing and some engineering stuff.
I'm looking locally--seriously, at this point, with an aging mother and an aging and cantankerous spouse, I'm tethered in the Lehigh Valley area of Pennsylvania. I'm getting aged and cantankerous myself at this point (my last boss thought I was twenty years younger than he was, I still haven't disabused him of that notion. We're actually about the same age).

bpgreen

Post by bpgreen » June 6th, 2020, 2:26 am

Things really changed since the last time you sent me a resume (I tried to find it and failed). A couple of years ago, I was placed on a project specifically because there was nobody local and I was the only person willing to do exteensive travel.

Even before Covid hit, the vast majority of our people were working remotely. Now, clients that were reluctant to allow remote work have switchted to "you are not allowed to come to the office unless absolutely necessary" so everybody is working remotely.

As I said, I don't know if you'd be a good fit, but I can forward your resume and if you're not a fit for us, maybe we have a client who would be appropriate.

On a side note, I notice you said "spouse" above. The last time I remember talking with you, it was "partner" so if you've gotten married in the interim, congrtulations!

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » June 6th, 2020, 1:20 pm

We did, thank you! It was a standard Pennsylvania Quaker wedding, so about as thrilling as the average DMV visit, but we did finally decide to tie the knot. Alas, I think it missed and went around my neck.

I kid, I kid. We're coming up on our third anniversary in November, seventeen total where we just couldn't be arsed to bother. :-) It was one of those cases where things were so obvious de facto that de jure barely seemed necessary.

Even if I'm a terrible fit, I appreciate it. One scatters resumes like bird seed at a wedding these days, hoping one will miss the bird and sprout. Most enter a bird and...well, end up ending predictably coming out the bird's other end. :-)

Pway
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by Pway » June 6th, 2020, 5:50 pm

I joined the forum 6 or so years ago and have very much enjoyed your insights and posts.