Artists?

This is the place to discuss issues not related to lawn and gardening
MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: Artists?

Post by MorpheusPA » September 15th, 2020, 2:30 pm

Another swift one, some crashing waves just for ocean practice.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » September 15th, 2020, 2:33 pm

Most Zen paintings seem to be incredibly complicated for some reason. I kept this simple and balanced color and light rather than a ton of elements and things in the image (not that I haven't done this as well!)

Balance and Fall:

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » September 27th, 2020, 5:14 pm

I'm puttering around with some flower images lately. Here's a pink and peach carnation:

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » September 27th, 2020, 5:16 pm

We're moving toward that time of the year. This isn't an original design, but I made plenty of modifications to it. This is one of the few times I rely heavily on dioxazine purple for anything.

DevilDawg81
Grass Type: KBG, PRG, Fescue mix
Lawn Size: 2 acre-5 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by DevilDawg81 » September 27th, 2020, 9:26 pm

MorpheusPA wrote:
September 27th, 2020, 5:16 pm
We're moving toward that time of the year. This isn't an original design, but I made plenty of modifications to it. This is one of the few times I rely heavily on dioxazine purple for anything.

This is cool. Nice job Morph!

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » October 9th, 2020, 11:54 pm

Update; I'm working on some pure abstracts lately (which you have not seen as the initial ones were not Up To Snuff). I've also been asked to be in the city artist auction in November (strange story there), so that's kind of a big deal for a complete unknown. Pardon if I've been a bit scarce.

I did a few fun things over the last few weeks, which I'll post shortly, and want some brutally honest opinions eventually, although I guess only the initial judges will really count. :-)

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Level: Experienced

Post by ken-n-nancy » October 10th, 2020, 8:35 am

MorpheusPA wrote:
September 27th, 2020, 5:16 pm

Everytime I see this pic, I smile.

I'm not an art aficionado, but in my mind, producing good cheer each time I see a painting makes it good art.

MorpheusPA wrote:
September 27th, 2020, 5:14 pm
I'm puttering around with some flower images lately. Here's a pink and peach carnation:

I really like this one, too!

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » October 10th, 2020, 11:17 am

Kitsch is allowable twice a year. Well, three times. Easter, Halloween, and Christmas.

I use a lot of painted bunnies around Easter. And a lot of gold and silver paint around Christmas.

You. Have. Been. Warned.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » October 10th, 2020, 5:08 pm

Basic, one-color, took about thirty minutes and I wasn't too careful with it, obviously. But that's because ghosts always have ghostly bits, of course.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » October 10th, 2020, 5:09 pm

Unlike snowmen, pumpkin men don't melt in warmer temperatures and do just fine when they enter your home. Make sure to lock your doors on Halloween night.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity

Post by ken-n-nancy » October 10th, 2020, 9:30 pm

MorpheusPA wrote:
October 10th, 2020, 5:09 pm
Unlike snowmen, pumpkin men don't melt in warmer temperatures and do just fine when they enter your home. Make sure to lock your doors on Halloween night.

Really love that one, too! Does liking kitsch art confirm me as a complete non-aficionado?

Actually, I'd love to make that pic my background pic for a few weeks... I wonder how to do that?

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » October 11th, 2020, 12:39 am

ken-n-nancy wrote:
October 10th, 2020, 9:30 pm
Really love that one, too! Does liking kitsch art confirm me as a complete non-aficionado?

Actually, I'd love to make that pic my background pic for a few weeks... I wonder how to do that?
No, not at all. I took as much care balancing colors and--if you look closely--details on the pumpkin, tree, and background as I do with most things. It's just that the composition is simple and seasonal and the colors are deeply split and not at all subtle (turquoise, red-orange, and Payne's gray). Major holidays don't feature subtle colors and tend, in fact, to feature colors that oppose each other across the color wheel like Christmas' red-green and Halloween's purple-orange. There are actually historic reasons for that.

With one exception, shadows are realistic (the tree does not have a shadow as it would add too much weight to the lower left of the painting; your eye ignores that it's missing due to the fact that the weight balances nicely without it). The hat may look like it's set high, but the pumpkin has a knob and husk on it, and the only shadow on the hat is in the white embroidery because black velvet doesn't sustain a shadow. Nothing is done unintentionally.

The art of Andy Warhol does absolutely nothing for me, personally. So it's fine if some types of art don't do it for you.

If you click on the image to go to PostImage, you'll get the full-sized 800x600 upload (it's not full-sized, but what I sized it to), download to your Desktop, then go to Desktop where it should appear (hit F5 if it doesn't to make it show up) and right click on it there. Choose "Set As Desktop Background."

If the image quality stinks, let me know. I can upload a much higher quality image than I usually do.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » October 15th, 2020, 9:54 pm

This is just pre-varnishing. I'm not completely pleased by this one, but...I'm open to opinions. This is a pure abstract, so if you're looking for something in there, it's not there unless you see it there yourself. Which is kind of the idea of these. Even the way I hung it was arbitrary; it's non-judgmental and doesn't care which way you hang it on the wall. The signature, date, and title (which I am not going to tell you unless you ask) are on the back.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » October 18th, 2020, 3:07 pm

I did some re-photographing in daylight of the one above and the companion piece in brighter colors. That one just doesn't look so great at night unless on a lit wall.

Daytime photo of the above, reoriented as I find I prefer it this way.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » October 18th, 2020, 3:08 pm

The new one, with brighter colors and greater contrasts. It shows better in darker rooms.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » November 3rd, 2020, 2:06 pm

I spent a bit of time having fun over the weekend while watching horror movies (the bloodier the better). Nothing stressful or particularly difficult, just playing with color and late fall-style images. The second I liked well enough to mount in a gallery frame and put up for the month.

ken-n-nancy

Post by ken-n-nancy » November 3rd, 2020, 4:18 pm

MorpheusPA wrote:
November 3rd, 2020, 2:06 pm
I spent a bit of time having fun over the weekend while watching horror movies (the bloodier the better). Nothing stressful or particularly difficult, just playing with color and late fall-style images. The second I liked well enough to mount in a gallery frame and put up for the month.

I like both of the paintings. But, I agree with you that the second one is especially appealing. I can almost feel a cold breeze blowing steadily when looking at it.

With halloween now being a few days in the rear view mirror, I'd love to be able to use it to replace my desktop image (still the pumpkin-man pic with crescent moon from a while back), but the pic is particularly askew...

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » November 3rd, 2020, 4:23 pm

I'll have to take a new one of that or the study I did which is downstairs. Since the mounted one is...well, mounted...it's going to have to be the study.

In which the moon is white, the owl moved, and looks a bit more surprised. :-) The tree's more sinuous as well.

The Christmas designs are underway.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » November 3rd, 2020, 4:40 pm

I re-photographed the study. If you really want the completed image (it really is better) I'll take a photo tomorrow--I won't have time this evening, it's gaming night (virtual due to Budweiser-19 as I'm now calling it).

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » November 3rd, 2020, 4:51 pm

And another one. While designing the Christmas images (which I find kind of tedious; it's not my favorite holiday and I tend to focus on nature and light or warmth and the concept of seasonal renewal) I did this for myself.

It's an oddball. It started as a nebula pour, evolved into brushwork to extend the nebulae and intensify them, became mostly brushwork, and then got the planet (always planned) and moons (ditto) added at the end. So the pour really doesn't exist any longer. This is on 14x18x5/8" canvas. It's varnished in satin rather than matte.