Artists?

This is the place to discuss issues not related to lawn and gardening
pristinegreen75
Grass Type: Bluegrass in back, Northern mix in front
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

Re: Artists?

Post by pristinegreen75 » November 3rd, 2020, 5:35 pm

That nebula pour is fantastic!! I'm 69 years old and long lost images of the sixties started to reappear in my mind.....Ahhhhh..Thanks Morph!!!!!

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » November 3rd, 2020, 6:18 pm

pristinegreen75 wrote:
November 3rd, 2020, 5:35 pm
That nebula pour is fantastic!! I'm 69 years old and long lost images of the sixties started to reappear in my mind.....Ahhhhh..Thanks Morph!!!!!
I'm surprised as I thought I was one of the few that would respond to something like that image. It's...a bit trippy for most, and the subject matter a little (literally) Out There. It's nice to know others also appreciate my more...um...wild...flights of fancy.

The trippy 1960's color combos were actually part of the inspiration there. I have other nebula images as I favor the style. Here's one that's presentable (some are older works that...aren't). 11x14, now gallery framed, on flat board. Acrylic. It's hung in my office until it was replaced by the planet image you responded to:

<< IMAGE REMOVED AT MEMBER'S REQUEST >>

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by andy10917 » November 3rd, 2020, 6:32 pm

I'm 69 years old and long lost images of the sixties started to reappear in my mind
Acid flashback? :shock:

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » November 3rd, 2020, 6:48 pm

Who needs to flashback as the stuff is still ar...

That is, er, yeah, I was wondering the same thing.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » November 5th, 2020, 2:32 am

Crap. Andy, could you delete that planet/nebula pour image? I'll repost. Let's just say it's not good for the same reason as the last one. I seriously have to learn to choose images from the correct directories...

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by andy10917 » November 5th, 2020, 7:36 am

Done, as requested

pristinegreen75

Post by pristinegreen75 » November 5th, 2020, 10:22 am

Just saw the last couple of posts guys. Been busy. I'm laughing my a## off!!!! We won't expound on recreational choices of the past but I can say it was fun! (and sometimes not) For all you youngsters it was a time of social, political and racial upheaval. History does repeat itself. Anyway... some of us survived, some didn't. The friends we are still in contact with are fewer now. (The mortality thing). Oh boy...starting to ramble now. Thanks again Morph for jogging the old memory (or what"s left of it :) Loved it!! Long live Hendrix and Cream!!!!!!

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » November 5th, 2020, 12:39 pm

Thanks, Andy, I'll repost with corrections and you can delete the salient discussion as well. :-)

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » November 5th, 2020, 1:09 pm

Sorry about that--I sent the wrong version of the nebula pour/paint and planet. Here's the image we were talking about, reposted!

pristinegreen75

Post by pristinegreen75 » November 5th, 2020, 2:03 pm

MorpheusPA wrote:
November 5th, 2020, 12:39 pm
Thanks, Andy, I'll repost with corrections and you can delete the salient discussion as well. :-)
plus 1

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » November 5th, 2020, 3:10 pm

It was the discussion about the image error, which are just administrative. We like discussions about the art itself, PristineGreen75. :-) What people like is actually very helpful to me (and, I presume, the lurkers on this thread that show up in the bottom Guests).
I thought that image was completely unappealing to others (my mother reacted negatively, most others were pleasant-neutral, which means they weren't zinged, I love it, one acquaintance went bonkers over it and offered cash money). It's nice to know it's just niche, not terrible.

pristinegreen75

Post by pristinegreen75 » November 5th, 2020, 8:11 pm

Thanks Morph....My bad. I made a assumption I shouldn't have. I thought my ramblings kind of got off the subject. I hadn't seen art work like that in a long long time. It brought up that word "psychedelic" also which I haven't heard anymore either :) Again...thanks!!! Love that "niche"

killerv
Grass Type: Centipede/SA
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by killerv » November 6th, 2020, 10:45 am

I make duck decoys

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » November 6th, 2020, 12:30 pm

I love these. :-) To my eye, they look a lot like a mallard...but not exactly. Are they close enough to fool the duck, and does exact design matter?

I work in polymer clay sometimes, and tossed together clay rabbits for Easter. These would not, however, fool the average rabbit, although I found the rabbit regimen a bit freaky when I photographed them. The eyes kind of follow you. I tend to like to do little environments and more artsy glass work with clay (I'll send photos up if anybody wants to see it).

pristinegreen75

Post by pristinegreen75 » November 6th, 2020, 1:58 pm

Damn...we have some talented people in this forum!!!!! Killerv your ducks are beautiful. I wish I had the ability to do something like that. Morph, my loves your rabbits. She thinks they are adorable! Yes my interest is peaked with your "glass work with clay". I for one would like to see the photos. Hopefully others will also.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » November 6th, 2020, 6:20 pm

This is, to my knowledge, a fairly unique method. It involves working this until it exhibits thixotropy (it starts to act like a semi-liquid) and spreading it over the glass, then firing the clay on the glass itself (it's a low-temperature fire, but you have to fire it from room temperature with the glass inside and let it cool with the glass still in). If you work color into the plastic clay, you can twist it onto the glass as well, giving you color in the translucent, very thin layer.

The black is opaque.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » November 6th, 2020, 6:23 pm

Plus you can do things that are less artistic and more...silly. This was a set of gnome homes I did last spring. You can leave the top off and put a tea candle in, or use an LED candle with the roof of the house on.

pristinegreen75

Post by pristinegreen75 » November 7th, 2020, 12:40 am

Very unique indeed Morph...I had to read your technique several times. I find it somewhat fascinating. The term "glasswork with clay" I have never really heard of. Thanks for the photos!...the wife loves the gnome homes....she had no interest in this site when she found out it was about lawns. Still thinks I"m nuts. Then I showed her some of the photos on the artists thread...now she asks me if there is anything new when I am on the site. Still not giving her my password though :) :)

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Post by bpgreen » November 7th, 2020, 12:43 am

I don't have any artistic talent, but I recognize it when I see it.

Good work!

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » November 7th, 2020, 3:13 am

Thankew, thankew.

Work on these can range from the simple to the incredibly complicated. This is a glass with a clay base fired onto it, then a layer of green "leaves" fired onto that, then blue and white morning glory "flowers" fired onto that.

Then I mixed the wax and scent (which is not morning glory scent, as they're relatively scentless; I used, if memory serves, something like carnation and plumeria) and poured the candle, in a slight off-white (white would, with the not-white background on the glass, be too harsh).

Oh...yeah, I make candles, too. That's an art in and of itself between choosing the wick, mixing the waxes by type and temperature of burn, and setting the proper scent with the right candle base. As well as assuring that the scent is properly mixed, does not separate with that particular wax, does not explode into a large fireball (no, seriously, that happens sometimes)...