Artists?

This is the place to discuss issues not related to lawn and gardening
MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: Artists?

Post by MorpheusPA » June 6th, 2021, 6:37 pm

I've revamped my closet in blues, greens, gray-greens, and teals, mostly sourced from closeout and clearance very unpopular white shirts from JC Penney. So that went well and I learned a lot about dyeing. I'm currently sitting here in a Kermit the Frog green shirt.

I haven't posted new paintings in a while, so here's one that's apropos for the beginning of summer:

The oranges are actually flesh ochre and cadmium yellow and red (all of which produce tones from peach through bright orange very easily). Odd for me, I used an Indanthrone for the blue to keep it warmer, and it's mixed generously through the grays as well.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » August 10th, 2021, 6:53 pm

It's been a while, but my camera doesn't capture canvases very well. The new cell phone actually does somewhat better.

Orange Wave at Sunset

Half Tide

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » August 10th, 2021, 6:54 pm

Night Wave

Thunderstorm

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » August 10th, 2021, 6:55 pm

The Milky Way Over Everest

Sunset Field

Opening Rosebud

pristinegreen75
Grass Type: Bluegrass in back, Northern mix in front
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

Post by pristinegreen75 » August 11th, 2021, 8:32 am

MorpheusPA wrote:
August 10th, 2021, 6:55 pm
The Milky Way Over Everest

Sunset Field

Opening Rosebud
Yes it has been awhile Morph. Glad to see some of your work again!! Nice! I really like "Milky Way Over Everest". ( Yeah, I have an affinity for celestial paintings I developed in the 60's....I think :D )

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » August 12th, 2021, 3:19 pm

I tend toward the celestial stuff myself, but it takes a while to develop, sketch, and paint, so it tends to be about a third of what I do. Or less. Landscapes I can blow off in a couple evenings.

Here's Field with Poppies. I'm actually working on Cornflowers, which will probably be the first to hang in my new office.

pristinegreen75

Post by pristinegreen75 » August 13th, 2021, 2:15 pm

That sky has to be one of the most realistic I have ever seen painted. The way the blue gets lighter the closer you get to the tree tops is overlooked in a lot of paintings.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » August 13th, 2021, 10:46 pm

I always ombre the sky in any painting; Rayleigh and Mie scattering have to be accounted for.

Except when I don't. This is an old one, just done on paper as practice. Title "Teegarten B" after the habitable planet in the zone of Teegarten's Star, an M-type red star. The inverted ombre is what a particulate-laden atmosphere on a habitable world might look like.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » August 15th, 2021, 1:56 pm

Here's a quick weekend blowoff. There's just not that much to a cornflower, so the background is much more complicated than the flowers themselves.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » October 10th, 2021, 1:26 pm

The first of this year's Halloween designs, which are certainly a hit at the office. My boss keeps telling people, "Go look in his office! He's completely decorated for Halloween!" So I have people making small talk while trying to look around. :-)

This looks like a mono-color orange. It's not; there's a ton of Alizarin crimson, Cadmium Red, and Cadmium Yellow in here as well, plus Burnt Sienna. But that shows best in very bright light.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » October 11th, 2021, 1:07 pm

I'm working from home and it's a slow day. Obviously from the below. The title is "Witch Cat," but I kind of think of it as, "I like big bats and I cannot lie." It's not an original design; I got it from The Art Sherpa, but thought it was great.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » October 12th, 2021, 1:46 pm

Working from home again and a moderately busy day, but I'm on lunch. Which I don't really eat.

I finished off this last night. It's a kind of half-remembered poster or drawing from ages ago, I can't remember from where. I thought it deserved a painting; I doubt it's anything like the original after sitting in my skull for decades.

pristinegreen75

Post by pristinegreen75 » October 12th, 2021, 3:38 pm

Nice Halloween art Morph(cute?) Wife says it puts her in the mood. She loves the little kids. Crap!, that means I have to go out and buy 20lbs of candy. Guess who eats the leftovers? Not her! We didn't participate last year cause of Covid. Wifey is immune compromised and not sure if she is willing yet this year.. Sooooo....guess I have to eat all of it. :-)

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » December 19th, 2021, 2:16 pm

I kinda feel like I went a bit backward this Christmas in terms of skills, but my time available also went down, so I was hurrying a little. I have time, perhaps, for one more sketch-grade holiday painting and that's it.

I lost and regained control on this one about 273 times.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » December 19th, 2021, 2:16 pm

This one wasn't too horrible since the style's supposed to be a bit Impressionistic and the colors...well, there's only Prussian blue.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » December 19th, 2021, 2:19 pm

This one turned out the best of the three, but that's really not saying much.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » December 19th, 2021, 2:25 pm

What did go well this year was something new--I've installed a bunch of WiFi-controlled lights around the house, and what with the holidays coming on, programmed them with the colors and timings appropriate for the holidays.

The window strip chases very slowly clockwise in the living room. It's not a room we use much. The post lamp in the far corner also plays red and green, chasing upward. It took me all of maybe ten minutes to program that.

The dining room strip chases very slowly counterclockwise. Again, we usually just pass through this room on the way to the kitchen.

The lights are nifty in that I can simply reprogram monthly (or whenever) for any color, so January is likely to be ice blues. February, tones for Valentine's Day, and so on. And dimmer on the strips since it doesn't need to be obnoxious like Christmas does. :-)

My office is fully tricked out as well at this point, but tends to be a nice warm white (I like 2900 K for the most part) during the day, with my own programmed Sunset at night, which is more orange and red).

edslawn
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by edslawn » December 21st, 2021, 1:54 pm

Very fun Morph! I've checked those out for my little home theater area in the basement.

Not quite the same, but I used wifi outlets this year to automate the lights for the many trees that my wife likes to put up. We have five up right now each with a different theme :). They all turn on at dusk and it creates a very festive look around the house.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » December 21st, 2021, 3:37 pm

Oh, yeah, I did that as well, so now all the plant lights and those light strings on the poinsettia now go off and on at the correct times. Our home network was bogging down a bit, so I ended up having to purchase a second--then third--router, set them up as repeaters, and use them as subnets to take the load off the main. The main's job is just to serve our computers, work computers, and Internet needs, plus send commands to the repeaters.

It has the added advantage of now allowing 300 objects on the network with no fiddling. 450 with the fiddling I did. This amused me until I realized we already had 50 things fighting for IP addresses.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » January 2nd, 2022, 9:59 pm

I'm reprogramming for January, the month of...well, it's fifty degrees out there, falling this evening toward the thirties, but abnormally warm for this.

Ice blue-whites and watery cold blue-greens (which never seem to photograph well), with the corner playing blue and white alternating light slowly down the wall.  The window is a split marquee that slowly plays those colors from the top center down the sides.  The adorned plant is a three year old poinsettia, blooming again.

The den also features the new white spiral lamp, which we love.  My office (not pictured here) is done this month in tropical reds and yellows, which I prefer.