New Shelf

This is the place to discuss issues not related to lawn and gardening
MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

New Shelf

Post by MorpheusPA » March 11th, 2021, 8:55 pm

It's time to spring clean (after seventeen years in this house, it's time to clean a lot of things, so 17 year locust cleaning?)

My canvases have been piled in the spare bedroom along with my extra paint, and I have been delivered an ultimatum. So I ordered a cheap shelf. It's actually surprisingly nice.

It may look like doofus here installed the bottom feet to the top, but it was intentional to block the canvases that should be stored upright (the expensive ones) from collapsing to the floor. I put the top finishers on the bottom instead.

We also have three new 6 1/2' shelves in the basement, one for my own hobbies (clay, paint [acrylic and watercolor], resin, dye, ink, and soap), one for pantry overflow, and one for general storage. I've issued some of my own ultimatums.

My overflow paint supply is also pictured. The main paint supply lives in my studio, fortunately in drawers where it's not all over the floor.

DevilDawg81
Grass Type: KBG, PRG, Fescue mix
Lawn Size: 2 acre-5 acre
Level: Some Experience

Re: New Shelf

Post by DevilDawg81 » March 14th, 2021, 5:11 pm

Looking good Morph. Nothing wrong with getting organized, no matter how long it takes. Which this post reminded me, I need to get some shelves down in the basement as well.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » March 14th, 2021, 5:27 pm

I did that, too. Two six shelf, seven footers, one five shelf, six footer. As mentioned.

Now, at the end of the weekend, that paint spot is empty, the guest bedroom is about 60% reclaimed, my office looks fantastic, and the second pantry is fully set up. There's still a good chunk of the full shelf left and some of my hobby shelf.

I have So. Many. Boxes to break down it's ridiculous, but that's better than having piles of stuff everywhere. And all my paint is up off the floor.

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » April 7th, 2021, 1:36 pm

Looks like you're expecting the pandemic to last a long time.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » April 8th, 2021, 2:44 am

Not so very, it was a matter of how the stores reacted. Everybody bought, stocks ran short. They ordered big time, the economy crashed, and then they had massive sales to get rid of stock. So I bought and stockpiled when canvases were cheap (seriously, Paramount Tier 2 for $6.50 per and 12x16? Tier 1 for $2.50 each and 16x20? Unreal sales).

The same for paint. For a while, you couldn't get titanium white to save your life. Now, they're literally giving it away (buy 2, get 1 free). And that's paint for three different purposes, so...

edslawn
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by edslawn » April 8th, 2021, 7:31 am

That's a lot of paint stuff! I'm sure it's good therapy to create during the pandemic.

I just did some reorganizing this past week too... new desk in my home office (well, my wife got a new desk and I got the hand-me-down) and cleaned up my bookshelves. It was nice to just rearrange the room for a change and dust--especially since I spend so much time at home these days.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » April 8th, 2021, 2:22 pm

Tell me about it! Yeah, cleaning the cellar felt great. It's kind of been a disaster (except for the library area) for about 15 years...

Dchall_San_Antonio

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » April 13th, 2021, 5:17 pm

So I bought and stockpiled when canvases were cheap
You could always use it for toilet paper in the next pandemic. :shock: :shock: :shock:

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » April 13th, 2021, 5:48 pm

No need. There's pantry shelving in the basement with, amongst many other things, 10 rotated packs of TP. This pandemic taught us a lot of things.

Dchall_San_Antonio

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » April 25th, 2021, 5:07 pm

I went with the bidet attachment a year ago. I've been home all the time and not using someone else's TP, and over the year I've used 6 rolls. My wife is a little creeped out by the bidet, so the powder room is my personal bathroom. But I don't suppose there is a bidet alternative to artist canvases. Must be nice to have a basement.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » April 25th, 2021, 8:06 pm

Maybe spray gesso rather than painting it on? Or canvas rolls instead of pre-made? But for anything smaller than, say, 16x20, it's actually usually more economical to buy it pre-made. They can do it cheaper than you can. Above that size, the reverse is true just due to the economies of scale.

It's lovely to have a basement. And as of the last few weeks, it's lovely to have an organized basement where more than half of it is empty and spotlessly clean, and the lighting's been revamped to LED football bulbs (40-60W, fold-out, incredibly bright). It's now separated into the Library, Greenhouse, Storage, and Hobby areas, including work areas for each.