Building the (Semi)permenant Home Office

This is the place to discuss issues not related to lawn and gardening
Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

Re: Building the (Semi)permenant Home Office

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » June 18th, 2021, 1:02 pm

Good to know. I'm not getting any hardware until after the move (is paid for). My last daughter has graduated and is bartending, so education payments are over, and we should be able to save money again.

Dchall_San_Antonio

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » July 6th, 2021, 8:34 pm

I just discovered, for those of us thinking of building a work station, that HP has a pretty good gaming computer at a good price. Currently it is hard to get an NVIDIA RTX graphics card for a decent price. Scalpers have tripled the price. However, at HP you can get the RTX GPUs on their pre-built or customizable computers for under, or well under, $2,000 with a very decent AMD Ryzen 7 CPU and 1 TB SSD. You have to watch them every day, because they change. This one below has an Intel i9 CPU, but look at the rest for $1,800.
Windows 10 Home
Intel® Core™ i7 11700 (2.5 GHz up to 4.9 GHz, 16 MB L3 cache, 8 cores)
32 GB DDR4-2933 SDRAM (2 x 16 GB)
1 TB Intel® SSD + 32 GB Intel® Optane™ memory
No Secondary storage
NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3060 Ti (8 GB GDDR6 dedicated)
Shadow Black Plastic, Dark Chrome Logo with 500 W Bronze efficiency power supply
Realtek 802.11a/b/g/n/ac (1x1) Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® 4.2 combo-MIMO supported
Office Trial
McAfee Livesafe (30 day)
HP black wired keyboard with volume control and wired optical mouse kit
HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop PC
BU RCTO PAV GAM UMA H570 TG01 US
CKIT HP CTO PAV 21C1 US
21C1 Cycle AV
OSLOC US
FLAG EPEAT
Energy Star
DIB Omen Command Center Flyer US
WARR 1/1/0 US
You cannot buy the parts and assemble it for less than $2,500.

Back to the monitor. I saw the 43-inch TCL at Walmart. At normal desktop distances, you run into a slight viewing angle issue toward the edges of the screen. If you don't have the flexibility of moving from side to side, it might be annoying. I think I can deal with it.

We still have not moved completely. We're decluttering and getting ready to stage for the Realtor to take pictures. We do have internet at the new house. It's 10x faster than what we have out here in the country. I'm not exactly hamstrung with 20Mbps but 200Mbps is nice, especially updating the phone.

Dchall_San_Antonio

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » September 1st, 2021, 3:38 am

New computer arrived today, so I had to get a monitor real fast. I got the same one as you, Andy. It's very nice!
As for the computer, it's a Dell Alienware R10, the AMD version. My daughter's father in law is in sales for Dell and has nice discounts to hand out. I ended up reinvesting the discount into better hardware. So here are the pertinent particulars.
3.00 gigahertz AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 [Display adapter]
TCL 43S435 [Monitor] (43.0"vis, February 2021)
32 MB RAM
1 TB HD
Killer WiFi 6
I've learned to like the Logitech K750 solar keyboard, so I got another one of those.
I also like the Logitech G602 wireless gaming mouse, which they no longer make, so I got the G604.

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Post by bpgreen » September 2nd, 2021, 1:42 am

Dchall_San_Antonio wrote:
September 1st, 2021, 3:38 am
New computer arrived today, so I had to get a monitor real fast. I got the same one as you, Andy. It's very nice!
As for the computer, it's a Dell Alienware R10, the AMD version. My daughter's father in law is in sales for Dell and has nice discounts to hand out. I ended up reinvesting the discount into better hardware. So here are the pertinent particulars.
3.00 gigahertz AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 [Display adapter]
TCL 43S435 [Monitor] (43.0"vis, February 2021)
32 MB RAM
1 TB HD
Killer WiFi 6
I've learned to like the Logitech K750 solar keyboard, so I got another one of those.
I also like the Logitech G602 wireless gaming mouse, which they no longer make, so I got the G604.
I'm guessing 32 MB RAM is a typo and you meant 32 gb.

If not, how did you find a copy of Windows ME (I think that's the last version that could run with 32 mb ram).

I'm old enough to remember needing to partition 30 mb hard drives because DOS couldn't handle more than 20.