Jewelry and Rings

This is the place to discuss issues not related to lawn and gardening
MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Jewelry and Rings

Post by MorpheusPA » February 22nd, 2022, 9:03 pm

I never bothered asking, but does anybody else have any interest in jewelry and rings? I'm a minor collector of inexpensive, fun gentleman's rings and other jewelry (pocket watches, wound and quartz, mostly).

Most recently, that's included moissanite (silicon carbide), diopside (a dark green pyroxene since I wear green a lot), London blue topaz (nice and cheap, since I wear blue when I'm not wearing green), or green, blue, or red zircon (as if not in the other two, I might wear a red). Generally set in gold plate, gold fill, silver or steel.

The most fun I have is wearing a huge, flashy 5 carat moissanite (which, in sunlight, shows the Disco Ball effect, shining ten times brighter than a diamond) in steel that looks amazing and cost me $45.00 off AliExpress and having somebody say, "NOBODY THINKS THAT'S REAL!" Obviously...it looks ten times better than most diamonds that size, which look like crap. It'll also never fracture, crack, or chip like a diamond does when struck, and I can also use it to cut glass.

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Re: Jewelry and Rings

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » May 30th, 2022, 7:59 pm

Not me, but...

I have an unrelated jewelry story. About 15 year ago we befriended the parents of one of our daughter's classmates in elementary school. He cleaned out grease traps for a living (no college) and she made necklaces (college degree in art). She took a class in school and learned the process, so that was the easy part. It turns out she has a couple of gifts which made her pretty successful. She has a really good eye for art, and she has a gift of charm and elegance. When she had about 50 necklaces, some with corresponding earrings, she started hitting up the doctors in her life to see if they or their wives might be interested in coming to a trunk show. OMG!! These ladies never blinked at paying $300 to $700 for a one of a kind necklace. They also didn't hesitate to give her referrals to attorney's wives and other doctors and dentists. Not too much later we lost track of her, because she was either making necklaces or driving to Houston to get stones. Mary asked me to help her set up some books. She has zero business background and never made any sense of it, but she was clearing about $60,000/year with her trunk shows. More good news - she heard about a local billionaire who needed a handyman, and her husband is now the personal, full time, handyman for him. Someone needs to make a feel good movie about all this.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Re: Jewelry and Rings

Post by MorpheusPA » May 30th, 2022, 9:02 pm

Huh. Great story!